Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • CERO AR30 road wheels
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Look pretty good for £350 at 1395grams, anyone used them?

Uphilldowndale
    Free Member

I have been using a set for the last month. So far I’m impressed, I upgraded from a set of Shimano R500 and saved nearly 500gramms.

Be aware that the freehub is quite clicky but not Pro2 loud.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Those are the very same wheels i want to upgrade from!
    Is it worth the expenditure?

Uphilldowndale
    Free Member

In my opinion yes. I now climb quicker and find it easier to maintain a higher average speed. data on Strava confirms this.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Reliable so far? How comfy are they? I’m looking for something i can ride long distances on.

salad_dodger

I have a set of these and for the first 300 miles thought they were great. My opinion has changed now. If you like riding a bike with the feeling of having your brakes locked on, then you’ll love them… The free hub obviously has an issue but I haven’t had the time to take it apart and find out what that issue is.

seanbolton
    Free Member

I got a pair of these recently with my Scott Foil from Cycle Division.

They are light and stiff, accelerate well and the slight aero from the 30mm rims probably helps a bit. I feel side winds a bit more than with standard rims.

The free hub is the loudest I have heard, but at least people can here you approaching when you ease off the pedals.

Overall they seem very good value.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’m very tempted by these wheels but I’m not a racer or club rider. I’m looking for lightweight, quick rolling wheels that will be reasonably comfy over a century.
    Are these wheels right for that?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt they’d not be comfortable – only disc/deep section wheels are. They are light for the money, rolling is about tyres.

I’d google them and see what reliability is like given the above comment

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Fair point – i have some Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 tyres to go on them & they are supposed to roll well & be comfy.

Uphilldowndale
    Free Member

I rode a century charity ride on mine last weekend and I’m still alive.

Probably just a placebo effect but I do think they ride smoother than the R500’s they replaced.

I’m no racer either. I’m running them with GP4000s as I was the R500’s

rich-c
    Free Member

Had a pair for 3 months or so now and they’ve seen plenty of use, still true and no flex/rubbing when out the saddle 80kg rider, can’t go far wrong for the money.
    Freehub does sound a little noisy but nothing annoying, and a reminder to keep peddling.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well ive just pressed the button on them so hope its worth the money!

Kryton57

FFS! I was literally about to press the button on some Fulcrum racing 3’s at £314…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Oh dear, how light are the fulcrum’s?

Kryton57

1550g. A lot of technical features on them and they are a campag hub inside so long lasting. I’m not sure if the tech outweighs the weight…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cero wheels are 1395g per pair apparently, either campag or shimano hub.
    I’m only 9 stone so not worries about weight concerns with the wheels.
    Bit more expensive at £350 though

Kryton57

Yes I looked at the link and did some googling. No one apart from the chap above seems to have had issues with them.

Should I too take a punt hmmmm.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Shall i give you a report when they arrive? Ive a 160Km audax on Sunday so hoping to use them then.

Its still a daft amount of money isn’t it? We really are divorced from reality…

Kryton57

It is indeed. I was hoping to order my wheels tonight as my current rear is knackered and I’m racing mid week.

Thanks for the offer, it’s a long term review i need as whatever I buy needs to last. Stick a review up in case I haven’t bought anything by the weekend…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

UPDATE:
    Wheels have arrived, firstly they are light – stated weight is 1395grams/actual weight 1410grams so pretty close.
    Lookswise the decals are a bit loud but apart from that they look pretty good. Spokes are blades & really thin to my eyes, rims are well machined & finished & the hubs are tiny.
    The bearings are really smooth & everything looks and feels tight.

First ride out tomorrow so I’ll find out if it was worth the rather large sum of money!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Alu freehub yes?

Kryton last I looked the tech features on Fulcrum were worth **** all…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yes, aluminium freehub. Cassette went on very smoothly but i did give it a light coating of grease first (have a thing about greasing everything)

Kryton57

Nice muddy dwarf. I held off my purchase until your report so I’m looking forward to your first ride as well.

Cynic-al, I was speaking more of longevity, what with the stiffness and reported strength for sportive, club rides and racing. Not to mention I’ve found them for £309 now, but if I’m to have either for a couple of years I’m happy to pay the extra £50.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

30mm deep rims as well. Was a little worried about how that would look but its hardly any different to the R500 rims on the bike originally.
    As to the decals, its a personal thing obviously but as my bike is black with white & yellow flashes & black & yellow tyres it jars a little bit.
    The weight difference is noticeable when holding the old & new wheels – which is nice.

grantyboy
    Free Member

Is there a weight limit on these wheel, I’m 90kg. Looking to start upgrading my Boardman Team Carbon

stevious

Kryton – My racing 3’s did about 15000km (of which about half were in crappy conditions) before needing anything done to them. Only downside is I’m not sure if I can get the rims on their own to replace these when they wear out.

Kryton57

First ride out tomorrow so I’ll find out if it was worth the rather large sum of money!

*Drums fingers*

muddydwarf
    Free Member

UPDATE II:
    Well, ive just done 30 miles on them & A) I’m still alive & B) they haven’t exploded/melted/turned into a mobius strip etc.

They do roll smoothly, certainly feel like they accelerate quicker & i appear to have a new personal best on one of my long, meandering climbs (about 8 miles), an increase of 0.9mph. OK, there are so many variables that i cant say its the wheels but it made me happy!
    I did notice that i felt the bumps more but i have new tyres on & i suspect i have them way to high a pressure (track pump gauge is bolloxed).
    What i did notice is the front end felt lighter & i also noticed the side wind more – the bladed spokes make a nice sound when facing into the wind 🙂

Need to experiment with tyre pressure a bit to find the sweet spot but so far I’m happy.

grantyboy – website gives no official weight limit but I’m not sure I’d want to put a 16 stone rider on them! I’m 9 stone so not a problem for me. Check the website or give them a call.

Kryton57

Well good for you – nice!

Damn though. So that plus £50 and minus 140g for the unknown, or minus £50 and plus 140g for the known quantity.

Decisions decisions….

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Made a decision yet? 😛

Kryton57

muddydwarf – Member
    Made a decision yet?

I’ve posted a thread on Bikeradar this morning to see if my current wheel can be fixed, although by analysis via tech diagram and fettling I’m not sure it will.

If no joy, I’m going with the CERO’s. I’ve seen several great reviews, independant comments of the wheels and component parts yet nothing bad, and seeing as I’m racing and they’ll take 200g of rotating mass off my setup, how could I not…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Fixing a wheel may well be cheaper which is always a consideration.
    Ive de-stickered the wheels, decided that the white/red graphics really clashed with the black/yellow scheme of the bike. Wheels look a lot nicer now. Personal choice & all that but wheels are getting a bit garish i reckon.

Kryton57

Yep, I was going to do the same. My bike is charcoal and celest carbon, so they will be at odds. My machine should look quite stealthy with 30mm de-stickered rims.

The hub colour was an argument against the Fulcrums also 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just had a phone call from Cycle Division, the vendors of the AR30 wheels.
    Apparently they have had some paperwork issues with UPS and were just checking that i had actually received the wheels.
    Nice customer service already, bodes well for any potential issues 🙂

Kryton57

That’s good.

The bad news is the whilst reassembling my bike out of the car I notice the frame has bolt on dropouts at the end of the seat stays. Well of course they were loose. No more rattling wheel.

Still, I’m due a work bonus in the next six weeks so if there is enough I’m it I’ll treat my self to these and move my current ones to replace the OEM wheels on the winter bike.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Why is that bad news? just saved yourself a large amount of cash!
    Unlike **** here who’s just dropped his phone & completely bolloxed it…

Kryton57

You could always sell me your used wheels at a discounted price to pay for it… 😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

This has suddenly turned into a VERY expensive week 🙁

Kryton57

So muddydwarf – how are those wheels?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘CERO AR30 road wheels’ is closed to new replies.