Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cargo bibs, what do you put in the pockets
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Long story short, I’m in need of a new pair of bibs or two. I’ve seen some cargo type ones I like the look of but, they’re noticeably more costly than the non cargo alternative. Half of me thinks “yay pockets”, half thinks I’ll never use said pockets.

I’ve MTB bibs with pockets I rarely ever use due to shorts, jersey and or bag.

Even on a road ride though, rear pockets would normally be under a jersey, which has pockets and I imagine makes getting in and out of the back pockets a pita.
    Leg pockets would be accessible but I’m not sure what if anything I’d want to put in those. Shell, tube, pump etc are all too big. Snacks/gels might fit but I can’t see my thighs doing much for the consistency of a flapjack.
    Phone, cash, card and keys I tend to want in a zip pocket, or does stuff stay put remarkably well?

So, do you actually use the pockets, what for? Is it just a gimmick?

james-rennie

I try not to fall off too often, but if I do the usual one is losing grace slowly uphill, then falling to the side. I don’t want anything hard in my thigh pockets, so IF I had cargo bibs I’d only carry soft or flat things.
    Maybe soft AND flat, for example pancakes.

oikeith

I’ve MTB bibs with pockets I rarely ever use due to shorts, jersey and or bag.

I use MTB bibs with pockets to drop the bag for rides of more then 90mins, will chuck a bottle, some clif bars and fruit in them. Less gimmick, not riding with a pack is lovely!

Same for road rides, gels and food or for much bigger rides a 3rd bottle in the rear pockets.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

will chuck a bottle, some clif bars and fruit in them

Generally those things go in jersey pockets if I’ve not got a bag though. Am I doing this all wrong wearing my bibs under my jersey?

IdleJon

I was bought a pair of cargo bibs last year – can’t remember the brand. The pockets are a little too small and insecure to put anything of value in and, as mentioned above, in places that I will almost certainly fall on. I really don’t want to be falling with a multitool or mini pump wedged against my thigh or spine. The bibs just get used as a base liner.

frogstomp

Generally those things go in jersey pockets if I’ve not got a bag though. Am I doing this all wrong wearing my bibs under my jersey?

Sounds like you don’t need them if most of your tops are more road / xc style.. most tops aimed more at trail, enduro, DH don’t have back pockets – in which case cargo bibs do the job.

crazy-legs

I was sceptical too and then I got a pair of Rapha Cargo Bibs in a sale. They’re brilliant – eating on the go and just being able to reach down and get snacks out, put them back etc without constantly reaching back into a jersey pocket, especially if the jersey is under another layer like a waterproof.

Gels, bars, flapjack, even banana all fit in there with no issues. If you’ve got a light packable jacket, something like a ShakeDry, that’d go in without looking daft as well.
    I think it would probably take a phone without any problems, the hem of the cargo pocket is a reasonably snug fit.

13thfloormonk

I’ve always wondered this too, I’d never really want to be riding with anything strapped to my thigh in that position, only things I’d want to put in there were gels perhaps but any ride long enough that I can’t fit gels/food in my back pockets, I’d be using a wee top tube bag anyway!

I sometimes use the back pockets on my Morvelo bibs, on winter rides where I’m extra paranoid about punctures and want to carry an extra tube, I’ll stick it in the back pocket of the bibs, also my pump but only because I’m fairly confident I’ll not be crashing and landing here!

I think in my personal heirarchy of places to store things, thigh pockets would come somewhere after jersey pockets, tool bottles, top tube bags, even saddle bags (if no velcro straps).

cookeaa

I’ve got a pair of Galibier cargo Bibs which are far more competitvely priced and pretty comfy.

I tend to put my Phone in one side and snacks/buff/some cash/maybe a facemask in the other depending on the type of ride and if pub/cafe stops are planned… They’re basically a wee bit more convenient than reaching behind for a jersey pocket or a gas tank type pack.

I do wish they did a Roubaix lined version at the minute, I’m riding in my knackered DHB winter 3/4 roubaix jobs and when you’ve gotten used to having a couple of mesh pockets in sunnier weather you start to miss them in the winter…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Sounds like you don’t need them if most of your tops are more road / xc style.. most tops aimed more at trail, enduro, DH don’t have back pockets – in which case cargo bibs do the job.

Surely for enduro you just want Moar Strapz (TM) not cargo bibs?

But yeah, I’m looking mainly for road really.

Gels, bars, flapjack, even banana all fit in there with no issues. If you’ve got a light packable jacket, something like a ShakeDry, that’d go in without looking daft as well.

In the leg pockets? That’s some big legs pockets!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Thigh mesh pockets?

Phone if it’s a relaxed ride with plenty of photo taking.

Otherwise great for rubbish and for stuffing gloves in when stopped.

I may well stick my wallet in a rear bibs pocket under my jersey as I don’t need easy access to it and it frees up a jersey one.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ah, now that makes sense and I hadn’t thought about that. Gloves, snot rags etc would be perfect in leg pockets.

Wallet in the back probably not such a bad call as the bulk would keep it snug (and noticeable if it fell out) though precisely because it’s full of junk I tend not to carry it on rides just a single card and maybe a note or two.

scotroutes

This

cookeaa

Yep they’re just a rectangular mesh pocket either side about the size of a sensible ~6″ phone with a bit of stretch, you can stuff a fair bit in them, almost as much capacity as a Jersey pocket, they’re hemmed at the top with elastic, my phones case does have some lumps to it meaning the mesh grips better than it would on a smooth bare phoen case, but it doesn’t slip or want to come out, you could easily get 4 long thin bars/gels in there, a few chunks of Flapjack, a bag of nuts? basically anyhting with about the surface area of a phone and perhaps 3-4 times the thickness.

see:

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Oh, forgot to say – a 500g bag of coffee beans from the local roaster which wouldn’t go in a back pocket went in my Rapha Core cargo thigh pocket
    #fullstwstereotype

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Oh, forgot to say – a 500g bag of coffee beans from the local roaster which wouldn’t go in a back pocket went in my Rapha Core cargo thigh pocket

I’m sold.

Superficial
    Free Member

Surely for enduro you just want Moar Strapz (TM) not cargo bibs?

For about 5 years, cargo bibs were essential for me as they allowed me to ditch the bag. Multitool and a few other bits in a pouch, spare tube, pump.

Now all those things are on my bike with various straps so the cargo bibs are no longer essential for most of my rides. If I go on a longer ride, I’ll take some snacks and an extra water bottle (one of those soft collapsible ones) in the back pockets. I haven’t used a bag in years.

continuity
    Free Member

Wait wait, you’re riding / racing enduro in just lycra bibs but a baggy jersey? With no baggies over them?

That’s the oddest pairing.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’ve bought some Rapha cargo bibs about 3 years ago and wouldn’t be without them. So much so, I bought the winter tight version too last year.
    Phone in plastic bag goes in one pocket and keys/snacks in the other. If I’m racing then it’s chunks of energy bar in one pocket, tyre dart in the other.
    Love the convenience but even better it means I can ditch the cycling tops which I find a bit clammy sometimes and just wear a long sleeve merino base layer as my riding top. Find the temperature range of this garment massive and it doesn’t get manky on multi day rides.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

@continuity but at least it lets them ditch the bag. Only weirdos ride with a bag.

scotroutes

Wait wait, you’re riding / racing enduro in just lycra bibs but a baggy jersey? With no baggies over them?

Nah. With my RaceFace cargo bibs, the pockets hang over the top of the baggies.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’m not sure they’re for me. Certainly wouldn’t put my phone or tools/hard things in them. How hard is it to reach into your back pockets? Does no-one stick gels up the hem of your shorts anymore? Been doing that for years – although I stop short of shoving a banana up there, for obvious reasons😂. I find it ironic we can be seduced into buying an aero frame or deepset wheels, then shove all sorts of crap about our person.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Hate stuff in leg-pockets. Not even keys. In fact a single allen key would bother me! Small sarnie in jersey pocket would be my maximum pocketage. I’ll tend towards a small (1L) frame-bag or seat-wedge for phone, key, card, emergency kit (multitool, key, mini first-aid (saline pod and steristrips), tick-twisters, tyre levers, cloth rag to keep it all from rattling.

Anything more for longer/different trips (sandwich, map, etc) will go in small (Camelback Lobo) backpack, or Blackburn Outpost expandable frame bag.

Only weirdos ride with a bag

Sometimes weirdo. I prefer to ride with just a bike, yet also prefer to ride all day, and/or with chores ie fetching/carrying to do.

kiwijohn

I’ve got the Endura cargo bibs with room for a water bladder. You’ll only try that once.
    Otherwise I only use the middle pocket to carry a wind breaker.
    I prefer a Dakine Stealth for phone/wallet/keys as the bib pockets aren’t easy to get to. Tools and pump are on the bike with no ugly straps thanks to One Up.
    Leg pockets just give you something to land on in a crash that you’d rather not.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I was a convert during the first lockdown when cafes weren’t an option – for road riding it allows for carrying extra food without overloading the back jersey pockets. Easier to get stuff out too.

For mtb then its convenient access rather than having to take a pack on and off.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cargo bibs, what do you put in the pockets’ is closed to new replies.