• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cardiff: Parking and hotel recommendations
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

Hi all,

I need to be in Cardiff city centre in a few weeks time for work.  I’ll be heading down from Cheshire and will probably stay the evening then drive back the next day.

I could go via train but it looks well expensive and longer than driving!

Assuming that I do drive, what is parking like?

Also any suggestions for a hotel? Air bnbs look expensive in the city! Contemplating driving an hour or so back homeward and finding a hotel en route. I’ve actually never been to Cardiff, so not really clued up on the area at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

The train is much better if you can go via Birmingham, as the trains on the Marches line are crappy commuter jobs and not fun for 4hrs.  As for cost – isn’t it on expenses?

I only ever park in the City Centre for a few hours.  There are loads of good NCP car parks but they are expensive.

For hotels there are the usual budget chains, also a Hilton in the city centre which is pretty nice and opposite the park/castle for an evening walk/run if that’s what you fancy.  Are you bringing a bike?  Well worth it if you have that evening spare as there is top drawer riding just outside the city.

chakaping
    Free Member

When I had a work overnight there, parking in the central train station car park wasn’t unreasonably priced.

Took my bike and rode at Risca on the way home next day.

5lab

if th eparking is only overnight there’s a premier inn down at the marina that is cheap, and has free on-street parking after a certain time (8 maybe?)

Tom-B
    Free Member

Train goes via Birmingham and might actually be the way that I go.  I won’t be taking a bike no.  As someone that doesn’t use trains much, and when I do it’s at a weekend…..mid week, are people likely to STFU so that I could get some work done? Particularly on the way back home which I might sneak in on the same day if not driving.

molgrips
    Free Member

IME trains are quite quiet during the day and late.

paul_m

I was in Cardiff overnight a couple of weeks ago with work, I used one of the City centre NCP’s – was about £32 for 24 hours parking (and the car was fine).  There were plenty of City Centre Hotels to choose from, and quite reasonable (especially compared to staying in London).

IdleJon

There’s normally plenty of reasonable parking on Taffs Mead Embankment and that area -it’s a stone’s throw from the stadium and train station. I’ve never needed to park overnight so don’t know costs for that, but for a day’s parking it’s much cheaper than the NCPs.

cleetonator

We normally stop at the Marriott, city centre. Stumbling distance to plenty of eateries and pubs/bars. Overnight parking available in the secure hotel car park for £18/24h. Surprisingly competitive price wise too for rooms.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Cheers for the info folks, managed to get the train for £80 including an upgrade to first class on return.  Works out cheaper (and more environmentally friendly) than driving + parking + hotel.  Probably have to stand out of the first class upgrade myself like.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Train is of course now cancelled 😭

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.