Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Carbon wheels for a fatty?
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Morning. I’m off to see handsling bikes next week to have a look at their gravel offering and they have spec’d a rather lovely grx clad bike with their own carbon wheels…
    Now I am 16 1/2 st at the moment, and not a light rider!, are they such a good idea for me or would I be better off going for something like the hope 25’s as they can be straightened!
    Cheers

rOcKeTdOg

The Trek carbon rims don’t have a weight limit & a great warranty so as long as you choose the right rim manufacturers I think you’ll be fine.

daftvader
    Free Member

They’re handsling’s own brand made and built in-house

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Why go for a carbon rim? The main benefit of a carbon wheel is weight reduction. If you buy a burly wheel that can take ‘unlimited’ weight then the wheel is unlikely to be any lighter than an alloy wheel so you’re not really getting the benefit of carbon but paying a huge premium. With carbon you can either have a lighter wheel which is as stronger or stronger than an alloy wheel, or a wheel that is no lighter but much stronger, but the alloy wheel would be strong enough so you’re paying for a lot of additional strength you don’t need. You need to decide why you’re wanting carbon. If just for the bling then fair enough…nowt wrong with a bit of bling.

hatter

All the DT gravel and Cross wheels have a 130 KG weight limit so you’ll be fine on them, even with bikepacking kit.

daftvader
    Free Member

@wobbliscott it’s what they recommend, Tho they can spec other wheels. Just thought I’d ask on here to see what the hive mind think

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why go for a carbon rim? The main benefit of a carbon wheel is weight reduction.

Not always.

Its usefull for wheels where more material is needed, e.g. wider or deeper rims without adding weight.

Wouldn’t worry me. I run Crests (wide, but aerodynamic as a brick) on my gravel bike which are pretty much as light as carbon road rims but only cost me £25 an end (28h old stock). Im more cheapskate than aerodynamic (and 88kg in my birthday suit so not exactly flyweight).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Carbon wheels for a fatty?’ is closed to new replies.