Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Carbon road rims, where from these days?
  • munkster
    Free Member

I am looking for some 35/38mm ish deep carbon road rims (for rim brakes, and tubeless FWIW) and have bought carbon rims from Farsports in China in the past.

Is this still the “go to” option in the UK or have any of these places like Hunt etc started supplying just the rims? Preferable to buy from this country for a couple of reasons I guess.

Anyone got any recent experiences?

To clarify, this is *just* the rims I am after (I will build them myself) not full wheelsets.

Thanks all 🙂

Daffy

Nextie and Light Bicycle would be my go to places. I have rims from both and have never had an issue even when I’ve snake bitten a tyre.

mrb123
    Free Member
    Daffy

How many holes do you need in the rims?

munkster
    Free Member

Thanks both, just needed a start. These are to re-rim my “best” wheels I built about five years ago (DA hubs), and are 24F 28R.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I have several sets of lights bicycle ones that have been faultless, only disc brake ones though so can’t comment on brake track.

munkster
    Free Member

I note that the LB rims offer without spoke holes…

Have never considered having rims with no spoke holes before, having built some 50mm carbon things a few years ago, that was emotional enough, am I mad for even thinking of considering the rims without any spoke holes? It’s not as if tubeless tape is that much of a big deal really…

cynic-al
    Free Member

How hard can drilling CF be?*

I’d probably risk it, but I do stupid things.

*I could video myself drilling my hack CF frame

munkster
    Free Member

Who’s drilling? Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. I meant spoke holes in the rim bed (to not have to bother with rim tape), there’d better be spoke holes on the other side!!

Anyway, watched a video of someone fishing spoke nips through the holes using thread and pliers etc.

“On that basis, I’m out…”

whytetrash

How hard is drilling carbon fibre?… doddle mate I’ll be putting 150 holes in an A350 wing tomorrow 😉 make sure the drill bit is sharp and at max speed before making contact with the carbon…speed before feed is the mantra we use

Jason
    Free Member

I have a set of LB road wheels with a solid rim bed. Great for running tubeless. I normally build my own wheels but got LB to build these for me, from memory their price was fairly reasonable. It is going to be a hassle if I ever want to replace a spoke, or build them on new hubs. I have used them for the past four years without any problems, so not too worried.

munkster
    Free Member

On this matter then, just got a couple of rims in the Cart with a hovering trigger finger.

The shipping options…

EMS(7~10 days, tax no included) USD 50
    TPD(7~12 days, European routes only. Tax-Prepaid) USD 89.10

…if I were to select the latter would that mean zero additional import tax etc or could that still get plonked on top? I’m not trying to not pay for import duty/whatevers, just wondering which one is the more convenient. If I pay an extra $40 and still get the standard £30 ParcelForce charge that would be upsetting…

Anyone any experience? Ta!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If you pre-pay it’ll come straight to your door with no further fee’s to pay.

munkster
    Free Member

If you pre-pay it’ll come straight to your door with no further fee’s to pay.

Aye, that is what it reads like, have you had experience of this? I’ve never seen it as an option, not that I’ve bought anything like this from China for a good few years.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Yes, last month I bought from Light bicycle and pre paid, UPS dropped them off and no extra fee, where as every other time I’ve bought without the pre-pay I’ve had to pay VAT, import and handling before they were released to me.

munkster
    Free Member

Nice, thanks for that.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Carbon road rims, where from these days?’ is closed to new replies.