Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Carbon geekery to gawk at and discuss – BRAID Bikes
  • julioflo
    Free Member

Whilst flicking through an industry composites magazine I came across BRAID bikes from Munich Composites in Germany. The deal is that Munich composites have a braided / weaving carbon layup (for want of a better word) process under their caps.

It’s less labour itensive than handlayup, so paves the way for carbon bike manufacture to head west from the Chinese and Taiwanese manufactures.

What’s interesting is the concept of the totally asymetric seatstay and chainstay arrangement. However, wouldn’t it have made more sense to drop the chainstay from the drive side instead, to alleviate chainsuck issues? I guess then the brake mounts would have to be on the drive side and specially designed hubs would be needed? Is that possible?

BRAID bikes

compositepro
    Free Member

that technology is actually heading east as chinese factories look to reduce their overhead and then some stuff that’s very new to braids and no one in the west is interested in

FuzzyWuzzy

Sounds similar to the BMC Impec process to me, kind of forces you back to lugged designs though.

binners

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!! My eyes!!! My eyes!!!

andyl
    Free Member

interesting stuff.

regarding dropping the chainstay – not really a good idea as you need a good brace between the cranks and the cassette on the drive side.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Carbon geekery to gawk at and discuss – BRAID Bikes’ is closed to new replies.