Carbon frames and roof carriers.

Home Forum Bike Forum Carbon frames and roof carriers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Carbon frames and roof carriers.
  • Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Have you seen how thin alloy frame tubes are?

DickBarton

Seems to be fine…2 years with mine…

aa

did you buy the colnago?

Fwiw i wouldn’t attach on the roof it using the downtube. It’s asking for trouble. also, if i might be so brazen….dwarf….roof….surely a towbar is more economical, easier to access etc

bones76

Just wrap something like a cloth/innertube around the area where you clamp to the down tube with the roof carrier, this should prevent any rubbing of the frame!!!

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

aa – 😛

I’ll have you know i can lift my 33lb Wolf Ridge onto the car roof (its a small car!)
    Unfortunately the car has no towbar nor can one be fitted as it’s a Ford Ka!

PS. – Yes, bought the Colnago 8)

bones76

A man after my own hart who’s bike is worth more than his car!!! I like it…

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

It’s not even my car!
    It belongs to MsD – I don’t drive 🙂

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Is it a good idea to use on of those roof carriers that clamp onto the down tube if the bike is carbon?

TiRed

The racks that clamp a tube each side can do serious damage to almost any tube (including steel), as the leverage is very high. Thule 591’s hold rather than clamp the downtube with a fixed underside and a clamp onto the topside. I’ve been very happy to drive through France with my 800g carbon bling frame so attached at 80 mph.

steve_b77

I put my carbon road bike UK one for the first time at the weekend and it was fine.

My mate has used one on his Mojo SL for about 3 years now and that ain’t broke

Premier Icon Haze
    Subscriber

No problems with the frame although you might expect the front wheel to flap around a bit, and if it’s not perfectly in line on the wheel tray it’ll wear a hole in the tyre.

Happened to one of our three down to France this year, the other two fork mounted carriers (561’s) were fine.

warns74

5 years with my carbon enduro on the roof with Thule 591. No issues.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Carbon frames and roof carriers.’ is closed to new replies.