Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Carbon dynamo wheelset – options?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I’m looking for a fancy wheelset for all round road and gravel use.

These from Hunt look good, if expensive – 1759g, £1059. SON hub.

Also these from Pacenti claim to be 1570g – not sure if I really believe that. It’s an SP hub rather than SON, but still £100 more than Hunt at £1150.

I’m tempted to get some rims from Light Bicycle or Wheels Far, and expect I could save a load of money, but possibly not weight. Anyone else build something similar recently?

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

I’m in the look out for a set too. The Pacenti set looks good but I’d prefer a Son dynamo. I’ve not seen any other options though I’m sure a decent wheel builder like Strada would make a set to order.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can see the appeal of a nice light wheelset with a dynamo, I’m tempted to rob the dynamo front wheel off my SSCX bike for the road bike over the winter. But I’d be wary of picking the lightest option, if they’re all the same/similar hubs then saving that much weight in the rim is a false economy the first time you prang it into a pothole on a dark country lane.

FWIW my shimano XT hub and DT-R460 rim +32 spokes came to <£150. And the shimano hub is within a gnats chuff of the SON28 hub weight (i.e. really heavy at around 480g each, but not actually heavier which surprised me).

Or to put it another way, Shimano hubs, DT rims*, and spend the change on 2x 5 day breaks to somewhere warm and sunny for “training camps” working on your tan lines.

*I’ve got R460’s, someone else recommended a slightly different but still ~£30 one last time the subject of budget gravel rims came up.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Carbon dynamo wheelset – options?’ is closed to new replies.