Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Carbon 456 – Fork choices?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

I have a set on 2006 Marz Z1 Light forks on my carbon 456. They’re a bit on the heavy side

So yay……it’s upgrade time……. 😀

So what does the STW collective run on theirs and recommend

Budget of about £500

Thanks for any assistance

Ken

Mackem

A new frame?

enigmas
    Free Member

Rockshox revelations get good reviews and you could easily get a top end model for that price. Try merlin for some deals on the 2012 ones.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Mackem – Member

A new frame?

Oh the hilarity of it all

Mackem

I do try.

Janesy
    Free Member

I run 2011 SIDS RLT 120mm.

Perfect.

sambob
    Free Member

Marz 44 RC3 Ti are only £350 at CRC and have a 3 year service interval, fairly light too. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54719

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Bolt through revs with black box

ken_shields
    Free Member

I’ve seen some RS Sektor Solo Airs for a very good price but I’ve never used them or know anyone who has

Saccades
    Free Member

RC-41F

chakaping
    Free Member

Normally i would say revs too, but today i would get the cheap marz44 too

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Lyriks @ 140mm 😉

Northwind

Cor. Nice 44s… Just as well I already spent all the bike money for the month! Anyone know what sort of weight of rider they’re sprung for as standard, and if they’re length adjustable? (ie down to 140mm or 130mm?)

For me, Revelation uturns. It’s a frame that suits travel adjust- doens’t need it, but suits it, different lengths let it ride in different ways and it works at all of them. And the best damper you can afford inside it- you’re worth it!

I guess if I could only have one length setting it’d be 140mm but I think I’d like the bike a lot less if I didn’t have the travel adjust.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

140mm here also, Fox Talas. @140mm seems perfect for me on the ups and downs, Very happy with mine. Done a few short local techy rides and one big xc ride around Hebden Bridge last Sunday, all good.

Mugboo

Mine will be wearing Pikes when it turns up 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Mine will be wearing Pikes when it turns up

😡 Oh for **** sake, the whole point of me having a lightweight carbon bike and you lot having freeride-light mince tanks was so I could keep up!!!! 😉

mttm
    Free Member

Thors on mine, suit it nicely.

bigdave
    Free Member

I went for the Fox 36, made it a tad slacker too, they were tested with a 36 160mm fork, mine rode fine and uphilled like a monster on speed.

rob75
    Free Member

150mm Revs?

rhysw
    Free Member

I got Fox 32 float rlc 150’s with kashima stantions. There the bollocks

bigdave
    Free Member

I just think the 32’s look too skinny on the big chunky frame.

rhysw
    Free Member

Why do you need 36’s on a carbon hard tail??

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Because its fun??? You get a well set up 140-160mm fork on a C456 with a decent pilot and it’ll worry the crap out of many full sussers, trust me on that. There are few things more life affirming than sliding past a high end full bounce on a shodilly finished, ugly bit of plastic 🙂

Northwind

rhysw – Member

Why do you “need” a mountain bike?

Forget that it’s a carbon frame, loads of people use big forks on steel 456s. Not to my taste but what’s wrong with it? The C is just lighter and stronger.

rhysw
    Free Member

36 forks are over kill for trail centre style riding. I’ve raced enduro on my 456c and ” slid passed ” many full sussers as you put it. The bike with a 150mm fork runs a 67 degree head angle which is spot on and a 32mm style fork saves weight over the beefy 36’s.
    Maybe you should look to ride a little smoother????

reggiegasket
    Free Member

because the limiting factor on a burly HT is the fork. Run something tougher and you can hit tougher trails, or go faster on your current trails. I run a Bfe with Lyriks and a Soul with Sektors. The Bfe can do stuff the Soul struggles to handle, and that’s purely down to the fork. Okay it’s heavier but you can’t have everything (yet) so you just need to decide what trails you want to run and how fast you fancy hitting them [and how fast you are…]

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

because the limiting factor on a burly HT is the fork.

I think in most cases the limiting factor is the pilot, not the fork. However, I’m of the Northwind school of MTB, build what you want and enjoy.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

36 forks are over kill for trail centre style riding. I’ve raced enduro on my 456c and ” slid passed ” many full sussers as you put it. The bike with a 150mm fork runs a 67 degree head angle which is spot on and a 32mm style fork saves weight over the beefy 36’s.
    Maybe you should look to ride a little smoother????

For starters I ran them at 140mm, secondly you are awfully defensive for some reason and thirdly why are you right and everyone else is wrong, its the usual in this place, you ride what you ride and geometry isn’t the be all and end all, fun however, is.

rhysw
    Free Member

Brake neck, I don’t recall saying I’m right and everyone else is wrong. I gave my option on the subject and I think when someone posts a question on here, I think that’s what I’m aloud to do.
    Kens original question stated he was after dome lighter forks for his 456c and last time I checked a 32 fork is lighter than a 36

daveh
    Free Member

There are few things more life affirming than sliding past a high end full bounce on a shodilly finished, ugly bit of plastic

Lol, that’s pretty much where I’m at, great fun! I even have a set of 1.35 CX Pro tyres for when conditions allow, that significantly increases the ‘perplexed full suss rider’ factor!

bigdave
    Free Member

That depends which 32 and 36 fork you checked the weights of, some 32’s are way way heavier than certain 36’s.
    I went for what looked best on my 456C Thats why i went for the 36’s.
    Nothing wrong with running a 32 at all i just chose not to.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456 – Fork choices?’ is closed to new replies.