Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car tyres (not a snow related question for a change)
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

I bought a secondhand car recently and noticed I have different makes of tyre on each corner. I is a conti premium contact, one a Sagaris, one an Autogrip and the other is another brand I’ve not heard of.

Tread wise they’re all legal but obviously all totally different brands and tread patterns.

My question(s) is, does this make a difference? Personally I prefer to have decent tyres on the car and aside from the conti I’ve not heard of the other brands. Are they much cop?

As the conti is a new tyre it seems silly to replace this one. So if I was to replace two of the others then would it make sense to have at least the same tyres on an axle?

tthew

So if I was to replace two of the others then would it make sense to have at least the same tyres on an axle?

Yes. If the Conti is new, get a matching one and put those on the front, (assuming front wheel drive). If it were me, I’d put the best of the other two on the back and continue to use them until worn, but someone will probably disagree with that.

fivespot
    Free Member

If its a front wheel drive car and you put the good (Conti’s) on the front and the crap tyres on the rear, you could make the car a bit tail happy in throttle lift off situations. No very safe on winter roads. Best go for decent tyres all round. They are the only thing that contacts the road 😉

mark90
    Free Member

I don’t like to have mis-matched tyres on the same axle. As fo best to front ot back, well it’s an almost even split on piston heads….

Best two tyres. Fit to front or Rear of FWD car

Most of the points for and against are covered there.

xiphon
    Free Member

Tyres – the second most important rubber in a mans life

sweepy
    Free Member

Use them, if you want just go a couple of MPH slower than you would.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Its a 1.6 litre Mazda so by no means a sports car, but as myself and fiance both use the vehicle I do feel better (safer I guess) if the car has decent boots.

The Conti Premium Contact doesn’t get too good reviews for tyre wear and economy so I really wanted to avoid buying another. I’ve seen Goodyear Efficient Grip for around £67 a corner that get a good write up so was planning on buying just the two for now & putting on the front/rear axle and waiting until the other wear.

Not sure whats best between an Autogrip and Sagitar! I’ll go for the one with the deepest tread methinks 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont drive like a prize bellend and it will be grand. Never fitted expensive tires i just drive slower.

Northwind

Bad tyres are fine til something unexpected happens, just going slower doesn’t equalise things. That said, it’s not as if it’s a major risk, it’s just one I personally would rather not have.

FWIW my Mondeo came with a set of autogrips on one end and they were adequate in the dry bloomin awful in the wet, a family estate shouldn’t normally wheelspin in 4th. Livable with, with care but I reckon having something that poor on one corner and something better on another corner has all sorts of potential for troublemaking.

molgrips
    Free Member

ABS and ESP should even it out to the point it won’t make a lot of difference.

However I still don’t mix and match.

MrOvershoot

molgrips – Member
    ABS and ESP should even it out to the point it won’t make a lot of difference.

Stop it Molly
    1. You don’t overtake
    2. You do know how ABS works, don’t you?

ell_tell
    Free Member

However I still don’t mix and match.

Ditto – I prefer not to. If I had the cash right now then I’d change them so I’ve the same tyre on each corner ideally, but for now I’ll just have to rely on one axle being the same.

jkomo

Grip on the back unless you like spinning off roundabouts

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car tyres (not a snow related question for a change)’ is closed to new replies.