Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Car Tax question
  • lilchris
    Free Member

If you had the option of paying 20 quid or nothing to the government which would you take?

The government is not a charity.

What did you think?

iolo
    Free Member

It is to some.

bearnecessities

Why write 6 months on the form with a box to tick?

Because it’s probably not worth the costs to amend a notification to remove a box and then stick rules in where the system issues different letters, for different scenarios.

That’s quite a major/costly change, as presently it just happily bangs out the same template to everyone.

Doug
    Free Member

£240 a year tax on our ‘car’ but then it saves us thousands a year on hotels and B&B’s. Loon club over here, mind the sheep!

Northwind

DezB – Member

So I’m supposed to find £20K for a car so I can get cheap tax?

My car cost £2000 and drops into tax band G, which is the STW-mandated £180 pa. Also costs not very much to insure, carries more bikes than I own, makes about 185bhp and 370lb/ft of torque, and wafts around the country on an effortless wave of smugness

Oh, and is broken down but THAT DOESN’T INVALIDATE A WORD I SAID!

johnners
    Free Member

Oh, and is broken down but THAT DOESN’T INVALIDATE A WORD I SAID!

Surely it invalidates carries more bikes than I own and wafts around the country and probably also makes about 185bhp and 370lb/ft of torque if the breakdown is engine related?

DezB
    Free Member

Mine’s just sat on my driveway, while I waft around on my bike in an effortless (well, maybe the opposite of that) wave of smugness.
    ( ? mpg on days like this anyway 🙂 )

falkirk-mark

I think he’s trolling everyone on this thread. Seems to have no shortage of biters.

nealglover
    Free Member

The 6 month box just doesn’t have a price so looks to be a free option.

Why leave the space blank in the price was £0.00 ?

Six months x 2 is always more expensive than 12 months.

Use some logic and work it out for yourself.

If you had the option of paying 20 quid or nothing to the government which would you take?

You dont have that option though do you.

Northwind

johnners – Member

Surely it invalidates carries more bikes than I own and wafts around the country and probably also makes about 185bhp and 370lb/ft of torque if the breakdown is engine related?

It still carries more bikes than I own, as long as I push it.

(OK, actually, it’s not that broken down- it drives, it just smokes like a mother****** so I’m not driving it til that’s fixed as I think it caused the smog in London)

But! The point was that cars that are cheaper to tax don’t have to be new, expensive, small, gutless or boring.

iolo
    Free Member

falkirk-mark – Member
    I think he’s trolling everyone on this thread. Seems to have no shortage of biters.

Why do you say I’m trolling?

falkirk-mark

2 words on STW ‘car tax’ and I am leaving it at that cos you aint trolling me.
    Cheers

Gary_M
    Free Member

You have to be a bit of a loon to still have a car that isn’t cheap(under say..£180) to tax

I’m not sure I understand your logic. I have 3 cars, one is 26 years old, one is 12 yaers old and one is 8 years old. They were all paid for a loooong time ago. Are you suggesting I sell them and buy 3 cars with lower co2 so I can save a bit on the VED?

Are you suggesting that the DVLA have two different forms? Thats doesn’t sound very sensible.

molgrips
    Free Member

You have to be a bit of a loon to still have a car that isn’t cheap(under say..£180) to tax.

My car was £200 to tax for a year, even though it gets mid 50s mpg when I drive it. Sucks but as above, the cost is fairly small relative to everything else.

Mainly because it was made before manufacturers started to take the piss on the CO2 rating tests. The real fuel economy figures are very close to what I actually get – on modern 70mpg band B and C cars, they are not.

Anyway – to the OP, you can only buy 12 months for the cheaper cars. I only have the 12 month option for the Prius, but I can’t remember what it says on the form.

lilchris
    Free Member

lilchris
    The government is not a charity.

iolo
    It is to some.

New/nearly new Audi owners?

Can’t believe I fell for this one!

iolo
    Free Member

Nearly new Audi owner who worked hard since the age of 16 who is very frugal with his money.
    I own a Dacia Duster in Vienna too when I live in my apartment there. There’s no tax there. Just a Vignette for the motorways.

Daffy

IanW – Member
    Isn’t pre 2001 – £270 ?
    That would be the exception to my loon criteria.

Pre March 2006 is capped at £270ish

lilchris
    Free Member

Nearly new Audi owner who worked hard since the age of 16 who is very frugal with his money.

So again, the government is not a charity.

HTH

iolo
    Free Member

So if I lived on benefits in a council house with 9 childen and spent all my money on jack daniels and wizz would the government be a charity then?

lilchris
    Free Member

In the form of £10 for half your annual RFL on a £20k+ Audi?

Not directly, no!

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s my uk car so doesn’t do much mileage – currently at 3,500

Hold on, you spent £20k on a car that you only drive 3,500 miles a year? Am I reading that right, surely not.

peteimpreza

“You have to be a bit of a loon to still have a car that isn’t cheap(under say..£180) to tax”

I have heard some bollox on this orum down the years but this takes the preverbial biscuit.

knob

GrahamS

In the form of £10 for half your annual RFL

RFL?

R. F. L. ?!?!?

You were all doing so well…

Edit: just spotted chewkw said “road tax” too!

bikebouy
    Free Member

What colours the Audi A1?

We will decide firmly whether it’s worth £20 VED or not.

Pics please, ta

iolo
    Free Member

I have a car that I don’t intend to sell for a very long time.
    I decided to buy a car for my needs.
    It’s not loaned or financed.
    When I’m around I use it. When I’m not it’s in secure storage.
    I expect this car to be used by me for 15 – 20 years so I couldn’t care less that I paid around 20k for it as it will cost me approximately 1000 a year or 83 pounds a month. There will be servicing costs. This car will have less than 100,000 miles after 20 years.
    Can someone please explain what’s wrong in purchasing a car that way?

iolo
    Free Member

white with black roof. Give me your email to put it up as I’m confused with flickr

lilchris
    Free Member

You were all doing so well…

Thanks.
    It was intentional 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

white with black roof

Deep down everyone knew you were going to say that. On the bright side white may be back in fashion in 20 years

iolo
    Free Member

I like it. What colour’s your car?

nealglover
    Free Member

Was this thread just an excuse to tell everyone what cars and houses you have ?

I think it must be, I can’t believe for a minute you actually didn’t know the answer to the question in the OP.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What colour’s your car?

One’s blue, one’s ‘burnt copper’, ones gray.

None of which were recent fashionable colours for cars

iolo
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    Was this thread just an excuse to tell everyone what cars and houses you have ?

I think it must be, I can’t believe for a minute you actually didn’t know the answer to the question in the OP.

No. Really not. Why would I do that? I’m answering questions. People were going on about spending so much money on the Audi. I explained the financial reason why.
    The original question was only to see if I could save 20 quid. That’s all.

richmtb

Is it a hatchback, I like the A1 hatchback they are very nicely put together little cars.

Any way, I try and pay as much “road tax” as possible. That way when I’m out on my bike and someone points out I don’ even pay road tax I can point out that actually I pay a more than they do for their diesel shitbox

Gary_M
    Free Member

This is almost as bad as your Range Rover Sport HSE post from a while back.

iolo
    Free Member

She bought a Discovery. I prefer my Dacia.

bikebouy
    Free Member

/likes “burnt orange” as a car colour 😀
    /not keen on white, but then my Vans white so I suppose I should sucker that up.
    /I pay £250 per yr to tax that Van of mine too 😆

IanW
    Free Member

peteimpreza – Member
    “You have to be a bit of a loon to still have a car that isn’t cheap(under say..£180) to tax”
    I have heard some bollox on this orum down the years but this takes the preverbial biscuit.
    knob

Is that your signature?

nealglover
    Free Member

No. Really not. Why would I do that? I’m answering questions. People were going on about spending so much money on the Audi. I explained the financial reason why.

Fair enough. Just wondered that’s all.

unknown
    Free Member

My 24 year old 205 costs about £240 a year to tax, which is about a round of drinks short of what the car cost me. Do I win as worst purchase cost:tax ratio on the thread?

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Car Tax question’ is closed to new replies.