Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Might have bought a lemon (used car).
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

As has been said. Don’t mention you have had someone else look at it. They will use it to wriggle out of any responsibility they have.

Speeder

As said above go straight to the garage and don’t mention anything that may lessen your case ()”fan” belt, other garage looking at it etc) just tell them it’s a lemon and you want your money back using all the info Hora has supplied. Start with the strong position and climb down from there at your discretion.

Good luck.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

IF the dealer doesn’t offers to fix it or take it back (very likely) it will be quite difficult to reject the car after 4 months given its 9 years old.

You might be able to take them to court for the costs of fixing it. You’d have to find the problem, then get an independent engineers report (about 150 quid). The independent engineers can’t touch the car, so it has to be in bits for them to inspect. Then you can go to court armed with the report which (hopefully) says the problem existed when you bought the car.

If the report can’t determine when the fault occurred, you’d most likely lose in court.

Without an independent report, its very difficult for a judge to make a decision.

I did all of the above within a month of buying a car when the cambelt came off. Dealer paid up 2 weeks before court appearance.

My advice: stick it on ebay with an honest description and buy something else. My car kept going wrong even after it was fixed. I kept thinking it would be fine after i fixed each problem. It never was. Some cars are just cr@p.

hora
    Free Member

My advice: stick it on ebay with an honest description and buy something else.

So your saying 4months after buying a car from a dealer you would take a massive hit avoiding taking on the dealer? The one thing ^ I said you should avoid?!

piemann
    Free Member

Ok, I’m now just waiting on the dealer phoning me back.

spooky_b329

If it’s missing a service stamp and no receipts to show it had that service, the warranty was almost certainly void as soon as it came into effect.

Hora speaks sense, don’t get dragged into the warranty route, it’s a sale of goods issue but go in lightly without reciting the sale of goods act, just know your rights/his obligations when he tries to wiggle out of it!

benp1

Standard warranty is 4 months so unless you’ve extended or they offer more (which if its from a form garage they should) then you’re ok

If not then definitely speak to the dealer anyway, they should help. Worst comes to worst negotiate for a part exchange on another car

binners

But, in case that doesn’t work, keep a pair of these in the boot….

😉

wwaswas

we need a bigger photo binners.

[edit] you edited.

binners

I got a bit carried away with the level of violence required 😳

piemann
    Free Member

Dammit, I just sold my old bombers to a mate.

piemann
    Free Member

I spoke to the dealer who can apparently 100% guarantee that the problem wasn’t there when I bought the car.

What do I do now?

Letter of rejection as a next step?

johndoh
    Free Member

How can they 100% guarantee the problem was not there? Don’t roll over! Fight the man!

dooosuk
    Free Member

What did you tell him was the issue to allow him to be 100% sure it wasn’t there when you bought the car?

I think you need to go down and see him rather than dealing with this over the phone.

Cougar

What do I do now?

Tell him that sounds impressive, and you eagerly await the proof?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought my car from a dealer about 3 years ago (a 1.6 petrol c-max, so a different engine), 5 months and 3 weeks later a power steering hose split (common ford fault, depsite it being a generic goodridge hose that probably gets fitted in a lot of cars).

I’d be 100% sure it was fine when they sold it to me. But it was their job to fix it and they did.

I’d not try rejecting just yet, go in in person and press them to fix the problem.

And I’m never convinced by the ‘supermarket fuel did it’ claims. Tesco don’t have any refineries in the UK, and neither do Shell. They might stick an aditive in to do one thing or another but:

a) if they did, don’t you think they’d make more of a song and dance about it, after all it’s costing them money to do.
    b) it’s the same basic fuel whichever garage you go to, from whichever refinery was closest/cheepest. If there was some uncombustible crap in it, it would appear at more retailers.

piemann
    Free Member

I guess it comes down to who can prove what.

The last MOT was done at 58,000 ish (so not many miles between that and us buying it). If there was oil burning at that time, would it have shown up on the emissions test?

wwaswas

It’s about what you can reasonably expect from a car you’ve bought secondhand from a dealer, not whether it was a pre-existing problem.

My view is that it’s not reasonable for it to fail in this way after so few miles. If you agree then you need to actually go and visit the dealer, park the car outside and have a row with them. Pick a busy time for them.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

piemann

Citizens advice bureau is your friend now
    Consumer helpline
    04 05 06

You will get all the help you need…you will go round in circles on this thread, get some ADVICE ASAP

Your local office of fair trading also would take a keen interest…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

It’s about what you can reasonably expect from a car you’ve bought secondhand from a dealer, not whether it was a pre-existing problem.

Not true for used cars

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/676408/oft1241.pdf

wwaswas

I guess it can work both ways;

You are liable for faults with the vehicle
    that were present at the time you sold it
    (where they mean the vehicle was not of
    satisfactory quality), even though they
    may only become apparent later on –
    so called ‘latent’ or ‘inherent’ faults.
    In some instances the specific fault
    complained about may not have been
    present at the time of purchase but the
    inherent cause of the problem could have
    rendered the vehicle unsatisfactory at the
    time of sale.

I think i’d consider what’s happened a latent fault – ie. it was present at time of sale but not detectable. Assuming it is cylinder/valve wear causing the problem it won;t have happened that quickly.

My last 2p (honest);

I guess the first thing is to get the car back to them get a diagnosis see if they think the warranty covers it and if not start arguing?

fingerbike
    Free Member

Intrigued as to what Flicker knows about these engines, the Duratec is in a lot of vehicles, being chain driven and going on the fact they are still in production after 21 years you’d expect them to be pretty reliable? no?

Hope this all works out.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Have actually looked at a couple of Focus C-Max and Mondeo Estates for about 3k with around 70K miles recently.
    Have a little one on the way and currently have a Passat 130 PD that’s just about on 185,000, starting to develop lots of little niggles (none engine related though) figured we’d get something that’s not potentially going to cost a lot in the very near future, going by threads on here though, I should maybe just keep the Passat?!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont think its really fair to call the duratec 21 years old. Especially since its pretty much just a brand name ford give to petrol dohc engines they happen to use…they are not even all ford engines.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have actually looked at a couple of Focus C-Max and Mondeo Estates for about 3k with around 70K miles recently.
    Have a little one on the way and currently have a Passat 130 PD that’s just about on 185,000, starting to develop lots of little niggles (none engine related though) figured we’d get something that’s not potentially going to cost a lot in the very near future, going by threads on here though, I should maybe just keep the Passat?!

There are a lot more Fords on the road than VWs. But I dont post a thread each time it starts in the morning.

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=14319

Im bored and stuck in baku so i googled.

Apparently a very common issue on this mazda designed engine. Throwing mazda 3 1.8 into google has thrown up some useful stuff i think see my link.

Positive crankcase vent is a major service item every 30k miles- when was yours last done ?

* edit – seems i have the wrong engine in mind

* no im right it is the mazda engine.

fingerbike
    Free Member

I was just going on the wiki page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine

Fair point though, 9 years not 21 years:
    Duratec-HE 1.8 L, 2.0 L – 2005–present – DOHC I4

hora
    Free Member

Checked the MOT history/notes?

Inbred456
    Free Member

The 1.8 in the focus is a belt driven engine, the one in the Mondeo is a chain cam engine. We had the belt driven 1.8 110 bhp in our focus. Then they brought out a 125 bhp model a few months later. Don’t know of any generic problems with this engine. We had ours for 8yrs up to 103 k. Only problem was crap in the plenum and a sticky egr valve. I suspect the problem lies here. Could it be the breather pipes sucking oil into the inlet side. Ours was absolutely blocked solid. The only other thing is the oil control rings on the pistons. Very unusual this though.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

The 1.8 in the focus is a belt driven engine, the one in the Mondeo is a chain cam engine

Sure you’re not referring to the belt driven Zetec?
    Zetec was Mk1 focus, Duratec Mk2 onwards

Recent Duratec (that era) was alloy head and chain timing vs cast iron head and belt timing.

Gary_C

So, you’ve had 4 months use of the car, & are now after rejecting it? Good luck with that one.

Weasel
    Free Member

I purchased a car many moons ago, and to cut a long story short there was an issue with the cambelt within 2 months or so. The garage I got it from played awkward (little **** of a salesman), so via the warranty went I went elsewhere to find the fault which became an engine stripdown/repair.

Even with an RAC report stating the problem that garage number 2 confirmed, the original garage still played awkward until I picked up the phone to Trading Standards, they then decided to play ball and fix the fault ‘as a goodwill gesture, advised by his lawyer’.

Inbred456
    Free Member

What yr did the focus change to a mk 2. Think the mk 2s were chain driven. Think the problem is hopefully just the emission control engine breathing pulling oil from the crankcase and burning it. Where else can that quantity of oil go. It can’t be leaking you’d see it on the engine.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

What yr did the focus change to a mk 2

Think the problem is hopefully just the emission control engine breathing pulling oil from the crankcase and burning it

dodgy rings = lots of crank pressure = oil pushed out through breathers (etc) ?

wrightyson
    Free Member

An I missing something here? I thought it was standard 60 days on used cars and that was your lot?

trail_rat
    Free Member

thinking about it – it would pretty much have to be an unhindered communication path.

my old 19j diesel has a cracked piston and smokes like a goodun – doesnt even drink 6litres in 3 weeks …. more like a litre in 6 months….

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I am sure that if you were burning that amount of oil, you would not see any traffic behind you for blue smoke.

trail_rat
    Free Member

any update fella ?

piemann
    Free Member

Went to the dealers yesterday. It was all frightfully civilised. We stated our case. He maintains his position that the car was fine when we bought it and isn’t in a position to repair/replace/refund. No big surprises there.

Now it all goes in writing and if no resolution can be agreed, citizens advice recommend speaking to my credit card company and opening a dispute through them.

It’s not likely to be a quick process. Will update as and when we hear more.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Might have bought a lemon (used car).’ is closed to new replies.