Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • car rental abroad – collision damage waiver
  • sadexpunk

always buy my own £40 policy each year rather than the rental firms pricier options, it covers us for our greek holidays, never had to use it.
    ive just been asked whether it actually covers us for damage to another car/person if an accident was your fault.

a quick google suggests it doesnt, so am i not covered at all in that situation?

i have a more complicated situation coming up, thats why i want to bottom this out….

family holiday in italy, car rental for 2 weeks, 3 separate drivers.

obviously the rental firm want us to take out their more expensive insurance.
    do all 3 of us drivers need our own £40 insurance, just one of us (to cover damage to the car by any 3 of us), or something else?

and where exactly do we stand if one of us causes damage to another vehicle/person? are we not covered at all, covered by the £40 policy, or covered by holiday insurance maybe?

thanks

martinhutch

CDW covers the ‘excess’ you have to pay if you cause damage to your vehicle. Basic insurance provided with the hire covers damage to the car beyond that, and damage to other vehicles and people. At least that’s how I understand it.

If you write off a couple of 30 grand vehicles with your hire car without CDW insurance, you will be on the hook for the waiver maximum, but no more (as long as you’re using it within t&cs). How much it is depends on the company.

sadexpunk

ah right, that makes sense, so we’re covered with basic insurance that all companies provide.

will all 3 of us need a separate £40 policy?

thanks

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

ah right, that makes sense, so we’re covered with basic insurance that all companies provide.

will all 3 of us need a separate £40 policy?

1) last time I rented a car in France the ‘basic’ level included no insurance AT ALL and they wanted to charge a huge amount to put anything on at the desk. (ended up walking out, booking another company online and waiting 2 hours to avoid the ‘walk up rate).

2) might depend on your policy. First one that showed up when i googled said multi drivers covered.

sadexpunk

hmmmm….. still maybe complicated then. im assuming that the basic insurance will almost certainly also have an excess, so if we cause damage to others, yes we’re covered, but may have to pay the first £1000 or something?

Nobby

In theory, the EU Motor Insurance Directive 2009 applies. This cited that there should be no excess applying to ‘third party’ claims therefore any injury to or damage to their property should not be subject to one.

How it applies to your hire vehicle will vary but it can include Accidental Damage, Fire, Theft & Windscreen claims.

A UK issued CDW policy will normally cover all drivers insured to drive the hire car.

Edukator
    Free Member

last time I rented a car in France the ‘basic’ level included no insurance AT ALL and they wanted to charge a huge amount to put anything on at the desk.

All French insurance is any driver, only the franchise and level of cover varies. If a car has a valid insurance sticker in the window anyone qulaified to drive can drive it so long as they have the owner/policy holders permission. A rental contract give you that permission so the car is de facto insured for you at the minimum legal level. As Nobby points out, all EU insurance covers third party claims.

nixie

The policy I just used for Australia covered me and any other driver named on the hire agreement including any that were allowed to drive but not specifically named (e.g. relative living at the same address, wife in my case).

sadexpunk

i think the car we’re looking at presently would be through Sixt if anyone knows what their insurance policy is like?

martinhutch

https://www.sixt.co.uk/faqs/insurance/

There should be some T&Cs available to read on the particular product in the country you need.

sadexpunk

thanks, much appreciated.

quick question on theft if you dont mind. reading the bumph, LDW covers damage plus theft, CDW just damage, i think ive got that right. ive never been covered for theft before abroad, just take out my own £40 policy and assume im good to go and covered for all eventualities.

why should we be liable for any costs due to theft as long as we dont leave it unlocked with key in? if someone nicked my car at home its insured by me. if someone nicks ‘rental companies’ car that theyve loaned out to me, then its still their car, im sure they have the insurance themselves for it? if a baddie takes it, why should i pay? report to police, get car replaced, jobs a good un, no?

thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘car rental abroad – collision damage waiver’ is closed to new replies.