Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car Mechanics – is it dead?
  • oliverd1981
    Free Member

2003 1.2 Clio 16V

Started misfiring and having the performance of a two legged pig on Friday.
    left it over the weekend, changed the air filter on Monday which seemed to help a bit.

Changed the ignition coil set this morning which seemed to have levelled out the lumpiness. At this point I double checked the oil to find there was very little left.

The other half insisted it had to go to the garage, unfortunately it died on the way there and had to be towed home. it’ll start but once its past 2000rpm it dies.

Checked the fuel filter (an epic task in itself) that looks fine.

On opening the oil filler with the engine running there is some exhaust noise and odour.

Dashboard engine light flashing away. (no low oil warning though)

Any ideas?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Very little left??? What off the stick?? Did you top the oil up before driving to the garage?? Think molgrips is the man for engine issues!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol no not me!

I dunno what it could be – get the codes read.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not sure of the engine on this so I’m going to start vague….

How does it run when its idling – rough? You say it dies when >2K – does t just drop dead or will it just not get past there?
    If not at idle, does it misfire under light load or only heavy load?
    Have you tried running without the fuel filler cap on?

Oil filler noise and /some/ breathing is normal, if it doesnt go when you rev it to 2K it’s less normal but I’d not expect your engine management to be overly aware of such issues just yet.

Are you near Glasgow? I can spare half an hour if you are.

More likely a sensor fault than a proper bit of damage – IIRC these are prone to loom chafing, coil failure (I see where you went there) and TDC sensor failure, as with most renault engines.

wrightyson
    Free Member

😆 @ grips

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Very little left??? What off the stick??

Renaults have those awful plastic sticksso they’re either coverd or show no sign of oil, I re dipped it with the stick off another car and yes it was VERY low, but I figured it did 15 miles mainly up hill yesterday so whatever damage was going to be done was already done, plus at least the garage would have a new filter and I wouldn’t be paying for another tank of oil)

Sorry Coffee – I’m in Newcastle – many thanks for the offer.

How does it run when its idling – rough?

It’s a little lumpy , but it always has been, does seem better with the new coils

You say it dies when >2K – does it just drop dead or will it just not get past there? If not at idle, does it misfire under light load or only heavy load?

Actually dies at about 3K in neutral, won’t take any load whatsoever

Have you tried running without the fuel filler cap on?

yep no change, no signs of vaccuum when opening the filler

More likely a sensor fault than a proper bit of damage – IIRC these are prone to loom chafing, coil failure (I see where you went there) and TDC sensor failure, as with most renault engines.

I hope so

Get the codes read!

Hopefully my man with the box of tricks is mobile…

molgrips
    Free Member

I re dipped it with the stick off another car

Er..?

So what would cause the engine to cut out? Something to do with timing being really wrong? Could be sensor related?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Perhaps I should have added “dipped the oil to the appropriate depth”. I trust the stainless steel stick more than the plastic.

The coils seem to be in the correct order, and firing, it certainly gets worse if I pull any of them…

I’ve given what I assume to be the Airflow meter a douche of Isopropyl and a good airing, doesn’t seem to have made any difference.

Ticklinjock

Went through this with my wife’s Clio. Found the wiring faulty to the sensor on the flywheel – RHS of engine.

Folded the wire back on itself and cable tied it.
    Was fine after that – how long for? – I dont know as it was traded a couple of weeks later.

coffeeking
    Free Member

How is a plastic dip stick less likely to get wet than a stainless one?! HArder to read sure, a bit.

Yep, start with the TDC sensor, top of the bell housing. Sometimes needs cleaning, sometimes needs new wiring, worth a wiggle.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

New oil and filter this morning (it was due anyway) It’s getting dragged to the auto electrics place this afternoon.

Pickers

We have a 2004 Clio, same engine, had VERY similar symptoms – went back to dealer (still in warranty fortunately) and they changed the air mass sensor. I’d look there first

brassneck

I had very similar symptoms when a vacuum hose got disconnected (well, fell off). After the nice RAC fella had stuck it back on (it was all he could see wrong, from a precarious vantage point on the A34) and offered to shepherd me to the next layby, it kind of coughed and spluttered along for about a 100M then burst back into normal life. Been fine ever since.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car Mechanics – is it dead?’ is closed to new replies.