Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • Car lease decision – check my sums/logic.
  • Sundayjumper

I think your maths is wrong, you’re double counting somewhere.

Borrowed £8k*, repaid (24×180) = £4,320, your outstanding balance must be not too far off the current value of the car ?

Sell car, clear loan, net zero. Your actual cost is just the 24 x £180, non ?

* assuming you did this.

weeksy

Sundayjumper – Member

I think your maths is wrong, you’re double counting somewhere.

Borrowed £8k*, repaid (24×180) = £4,320, your outstanding balance must be not too far off the current value of the car ?

Sell car, clear loan, net zero. Your actual cost is just the 24 x £180, non ?

* assuming you did this

Loan was £7k.

Essentially I owe on the car what I’d get for it now yes.

So, working it out then as that all being now £0 either way…

I’d have a new car for £260/month instead of another used car for £200/month (Which would be the figure for me to change my loan to buy an £8000 car over 36 months)

br
    Free Member

Except weeksy you can keep the car and carry on to the end of the loan.

It is now yours and you it is worth £x.

And now you can drive it for ‘free’ – unlike a lease, where you’ll still be paying.

weeksy

b r – Member

Except weeksy you can keep the car and carry on to the end of the loan.

It is now yours and you it is worth £x.

And now you can drive it for ‘free’ – unlike a lease, where you’ll still be paying.

Well when you consider the car is now on 95,000 and in the 22 months time that it’s paid off, will be worth … maybe £1500…. then it’s not really a massive ‘free’ is it… it’s a possible free or a possible money pit, especially if within them 22 months it needs discs, stuff, DPF, etc… .then it’s getting into a negative potentially instead of a positive.

trail_rat
    Free Member

so you either bought it with high milage – or have put high milage onto it.

or if your doing big miles its unlikely youll get anything nice milage adjusted for sensible money.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’d hazard a guess that if it’s on 95k now and you’re planning to keep it for a while yet, it will need new discs and pads, and probably tyres too, at some point. They’re “consumables”; like fuel, oil and road tax (mostly) they’re inevitable

weeksy

trail_rat – Member

so you either bought it with high milage – or have put high milage onto it.

or if your doing big miles its unlikely youll get anything nice milage adjusted for sensible money.

I bought it with 43,000 and have put 53,000 on it in 2 years 2 months.

However due to many circumstances I expect that to drop from 25,000 a year into the high teens, possibly 20,000 a year this and next few years. So could get say a Honda CR-V for £270 for 3 + 36.

Sundayjumper

At 20k miles a year you’re pushing it, but a new lease car will (obviously) arrive on new tyres wheras a s/h car probably won’t so there’s some kind of saving in there. On a 24 month lease with a sensible mileage you *might* get away with only paying for one oil change and never needing tyres, discs etc.

And IIRC leases often include VED ? Worth checking.

I hate these threads, I end up going around the same logic loop myself !

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Car lease decision – check my sums/logic.’ is closed to new replies.