Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • Car lease decision – check my sums/logic.
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Poor people do what you are proposing – focus on the ‘what I can afford in installments’ avoiding what the impact is overall. You won’t even own the car.

In fact, this is not the case at all. A few people need to go and take Management Accounting 101 and learn about cash flow versus lump sums.

EDIT: for the OP, sorry if you already know, or someone has already mentioned, but you can get ex-demos, year olds on PCP type lease from dealers…might get you in a spacious car, with latest safety features with most of the warranty still left? I reckon, as others have said, sticking 54k miles on the car over 3 years is always going to hurt you somewhere.

hora
    Free Member

Kenny senior your swapping bills for rental cost. Don’t forget to factor in circa £400 on top of your figures for hand back charges. That’s a guess but if you kerb/refurb the alloys alone…then there’s small dents/parking rub etc.

Rob2 still has/had 2yrs warranty in his deal and I bet some manufacturers offer extended used warranties. Anyway. Your money.

Leasing only works IMO if its a killer deal. I paid £100 a month for 15k a year on a 3+23.

rob2
    Free Member

I can get two car seats and me in the middle of our Honda Jazz. Done a few 400 mile trips like that. It’s a squeeze but it’s all doable. Easier in those Honda frz’s or whatever they were called.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Look I didn’t mean to come across quite so bluntly! I’m well aware that leasing is some way from being the most cost effective way of getting in a car, and Imwas expecting to have that pointed out 🙂 , but I have thought about all the options for a long time, and this is both affordable and, at the moment for us a little extra for the convenience and lack of hassle has its place.

PePPeR

I agree that paying those prices are nuts, I hate giving lease cars back at work, the amount of effort we have to go through to get them right beforehand or endure huge charges are crazy!

I’d look at buying an ex lease car as that’s what I do for my wife’s commuting car, last car we bought was a Laguna at 3 years old ex lease for 7k we’ve run it for three years doing 18k a year and it’s still worth 3.5k trade in. So running a car for just over a grand a year is more my way of running vehicles.

petrieboy

Vauxhall are doing brand new zafiras for 10k. 100k/lifetime warranty so even if you bin it after 3 years you’d still be £3k better off

hora
    Free Member

Give up PePPeR.

sofatester
    Free Member

I still have up to 2k to put down as a deposit

Buy something that fits your requirements for £2000 and put £100 in a savings account each month to cover any issues.

something that will fit my 3 kids across

Hope they don’t move, eat or breathe for the duration of the lease as interiors are easy to damage and the assessors are like hawks.

a car that has the most up to date safety features

That’s controlled by the organic object behind the wheel.

PePPeR

I worked it out the other day that I’ve now been driving for 27 years and all the cars I’ve bought in that time come to less than £25k.

Oh and I’ve owned over 35 cars in that time, crikey I’ve owned 3 cars since September.

br
    Free Member

How much is a second hand car with say 50,000 on the clock? Why tent and why have new?

Bought a 5 y/o Vectra 1.9 diesel 150 for £5k in 2013, had 58k on it. Based on your lease numbers even if it was worth zero tomorrow, you’d still be better off. Solid, reliable and safe car. I’m sure there are MPV’s available at the same kind of prices.

And as you are prepared to pay more, then I’m sure you’d get a 1-2 y/o car for less money than a lease – maybe look at a 4-5 year loan to buy?

worked it out the other day that I’ve now been driving for 27 years and all the cars I’ve bought in that time come to less than £25k.

Oh and I’ve owned over 35 cars in that time, crikey I’ve owned 3 cars since September.

And alternatively we’ve spent more on just a car, and even if I just add up just my commuter motorcycles from the last 10 years I’m way past that.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Theres no other way of saying this, but……….

I agree with Hora

If youre going to lease then take a decent one
    Prev mentioned threads on PH list E class wagons at 229/ month and Golf R’s at not much more

The numbers on hat Citroen are just bonkers TBH
    If you had the cash to buy through a broker (I know you said you didnt have up front) you could run it for 4 years then throw it in the bin for the same cost.

The above also protects you from any excess charges for paint chips for scuffed alloys and even a 4y old Picasso will be worth more than nothing – probably

Coincidentally we MOT’d our main motor today too
    Its 12y old and it cost us a set of front pads, other costs over the year have been zero

Much as Id love a Golf R the payments would cost me more than 80 notes a year…………..

Cheers

PePPeR

I’m only trying to understand the thread title, it does mention logic, and to me it’s not logical to spend so much on cars.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

£ 4,000 on a car is expensive, and for me the comments about having to give it back at the end in pristine condition or be hammered for surcharges is worrying.
    all the cars I have ever owned have never cost me any more than approx £1,000 p/a buy at the middle or bottom of the depreciation curve not at the top.

boltonjon

I’m with PePPeR

New cars is a mugs game – or someone with far too much money

I used to work in the motortrade and it always amazed me what people would spend on their cars

I’m now well away from the motor industry but i can still spot a good car at a silly low cost.

Last car cost me £700 and i’ve done over 40,000 miles in it

For £5K you can get a hell of a good car and it’ll be a safe as any tinpot french car and you won’t have a heart attack every time you leave outside tescos, or when the kids puke or when some mud gets in the boot

Moreover, something like a 4 year old Honda will drive far better than a rattly french car with 30k on the clock

£350 a month on a car over 3 years and then not even own it – that’s the kind of logic i’d expect from a crazy girlfriend 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Kenny Senior – Member
    The folk dooosuk suggested have come up with two quotes…

1) 1.6 diesel VTR+ trim, 18,000 miles, 6+35 at £273 so that’s £1635 down, total over 3 years £11,178, so £3,726 a year.

Or

2) Same but Exclusive trim for £316, so £1756 deposit, total over 3 yrs £12,006, so as good as £4000 a year.

Both of which are better than the first ones I posted.

POSTED 7 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Go for 1), having had a look, all the extra stuff on the higher trim is nice but not that nice. You can buy a satnav for £100 if you need one.

Sounds like you know you will be paying more than you otherwise might for the convenience etc., and have given it some thought, so if it’s what suits your circumstances then go for it. I’ve never leased or PCP’d, but I did buy my second car on 3yrs HP, and still have it at 11 yrs old, but it’s been a lot of hassle in the last six months.

If you decide at the end of it it wasn’t worth the outlay then hey ho, do something else next time round. Hardly the end of the world.

Clover

For once, I agree with Hora too. Get GAP insurance. It’s generally a non-policy except where you’re leasing and they expect you to hand back the car in great condition / keep paying even if it’s been written off.

But for heavens’ sake do not buy it from the dealer.

There are plenty of online providers who are much more competitive (I have a sideline doing the FB page for Direct GAP so declare an interest now) and it’s for mainly for excessive worriers and people who have shiny cars. Apart from if you’re leasing/any form of HP… then it’s very sensible. The price differences between online providers and dealers are quite ‘interesting’. Have a look…

hora
    Free Member

Theres an online comparison site too – contact quite a few lease companies and A). Ask them if they are signed upto BVRLA’s standard fair wear and tear and B). Do they have any cancellations or one-off just in deals. I was offered CRAZY deals on a couple of Merc B classes, C etc etc.

Leasing CAN work but you need to bottom-feed/shop around and strike lucky with fleet cancellations etc.

Theres a Tiguan offer on this page: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1346121&mid=0&i=5180&nmt=Best+lease+car+deals+available%3F&mid=0

hora
    Free Member

Oh – forgot to mention. Contact a few Citroen (insert manu name) main dealers. Ask them for their best deal. Get their best deal, leave it abit. They’ll comeback with a better one. I did this on my Citroen.

KennySenior
    Free Member

I’m still playing four different ones – all BVRLA registered – off against each other, including a main dealer, and have so far got the 3 yr cost down by more than 2k. I’ll keep that going until they’re all done.

Tiguan deal looks good – is it any bigger than a Passat inside? Had one of those for a hire car recently and that was too much of a squeeze for the kids.

hora
    Free Member

Pop into a nearby VW dealer for a quick nosey?

It looks a nice car, tbh the Citroen will be cavaneous by comparison but (to me) its not all about that as 80% of the time you’ll be driving alone I bet.

Its a VW that seems to be alittle classless- under the radar as its not as populous as a X5 etc etc so hard to form a class opinion (all IMO).

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Tiguan deal looks good – is it any bigger than a Passat inside?”

being a golf on stilts i doubt its anywhere close to a passat.

hora
    Free Member

(Looks similar to a Altea XL inside)

KennySenior
    Free Member

It’s that middle seat that concerns me – a teenager is pretty much adult sized, and between 2 car seats – which in that I reckon can only go in the outer seats. I’ll see if I can look at one, but the Passat was a non starter. Boot is plenty big enough though.

It’ll probably be 40/60 for no kids/kids in it – we’ve an old jalopy that I drive to work most of the time, and I don’t mind that at all. But I want the kids in something decent. And as I say, two or sometimes three times a year we visit family which is a 1000 mile round trip, a day there and a day back. That’s on top of regular 2hr journeys to get to the big smoke for various activities they’re involved in.

Like you, were it just for me, this car would not get a look in!

hora
    Free Member

Maybe better with a T5- if only they were unpopular and cheap 🙁

Toyota Previa (secondhand) are quite a reliable vehicle.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Got the wife a Grand Scenic. Ex demo from Renault Retail. 7,000 miles at 9 months old. Saving £10,000 off new price.

Has 4 years free servicing, 4 years Warranty, and Rescue. Has 3 full size seats on the middle row and fits one full size kid between 2 kid seats with ease.

Will be run until it dies.

russ295
    Free Member

i got a quote for a tiguan r line 180bhp auto a few months ago via http://www.broker4cars.co.uk
    3k down and £340/36 per month and a ballon at the end.

never went ahead but sounded ok at the time?

hora
    Free Member

Will be run until it dies

A week next Tuesday? 😯

Actually the LCD(?) display on the Grand Scenic is gorgeous. how much did you pay if you don’t mind me asking.

johndoh
    Free Member

Vauxhall are doing brand new zafiras for 10k. 100k/lifetime warranty so even if you bin it after 3 years you’d still be £3k better off

I tend to agree with this idea.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

A week next Tuesday?

Cheeky Git. Never had a hint of bother with this one, or the old model it replaced. They just keep bimbling on.

Latest Model with Bose stereo , 1.6 dci Stop/start engine and Satnav, £14,000. Pick of the colours, direct from Renault. Under the skin it’s the new Nissan Quashqai and they seem to be quie popular.

lodious
    Free Member

i got a quote for a tiguan r line 180bhp auto a few months ago via http://www.broker4cars.co.uk
    3k down and £340/36 per month and a ballon at the end.

Have I worked it our correctly…that would be 15K over three years to not own a car? That sounds pretty insane to me. My wife had a brand new Tiguan for 3 years, over which time it lost about 6K. Servicing was paid up front (£250 I think), didn’t cost a penny, other than fuel. It was a base model, but she was happy with it. No hassles with having to prep it when handing back.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Can someone point me to the 10k Zafiras?

brassneck

It’s that middle seat that concerns me – a teenager is pretty much adult sized, and between 2 car seats – which in that I reckon can only go in the outer seats. I’ll see if I can look at one, but the Passat was a non starter. Boot is plenty big enough though.

Get an S Max. Went round the houses a few times myself with that same point, and ended up at S Max or Volvo XC90. S Max won it on running costs, availability in the spec I wanted and purchase cost. It’s been no less practical for bikes, surfboards, camping etc. as it’s pretty rare I end up stuck in a field if I’m honest, and I do live rurally.

I’m not sure I’d lease a people carrier. It will get trashed if your kids are under ten even if they are beautifully behaved little darlings (mine aren’t), I can imagine the handback losses might not be too good.

hora
    Free Member

4 yrs warranty too- I know their rep is going up too interms of reliability etc on the Scenics. I definitely wouldn’t lease a people carrier if I had kids or put a bike near its rear tailgate.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cant see your teenager being happy jammed in the fold up seats zafiras have in the boot. i refused to do it for more than one trip to work(hire car in a foreign country) and that they should get a propper 7 seater as had we been in a serious frontal crash its an almost certainty that id have broken my neck

KennySenior
    Free Member

Wonder if I could get one of the car seats in the middle (they’re not ISOFIX, they’re booster type ones) giving the big one an outside seat with the legroom?

russ295
    Free Member

Have I worked it our correctly…that would be 15K over three years to not own a car? That sounds pretty insane to me. My wife had a brand new Tiguan for 3 years, over which time it lost about 6K. Servicing was paid up front (£250 I think), didn’t cost a penny, other than fuel. It was a base model, but she was happy with it. No hassles with having to prep it when handing back.

Yip. The best cash price I could get was just short of £25k

So £340 x36 = £12240
    Plus £3k = £15240
    Plus a £10k balloon payment to own it.

Total paid £25240

Seemed fair?

ninfan
    Free Member

What’s the list price?

russ295
    Free Member

Of the tiguan? £30k ish

mogrim

Don’t forget that the seat size goes down as the kids grow older, in a year’s time (while you’re still paying for the car) it’s quite likely at least one of your kids (both?) will be using booster seats which take up a lot less space. It might be worth putting up with your teenager complaining for a few months if it gives you a few more options. Besides, the teenager will be complaining about something anyway, regardless of what car you get 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Car lease decision – check my sums/logic.’ is closed to new replies.