• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by mashr.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Car Insurance – Accident with an uninsured driver
  • bentandbroken

Getting some quotes via Confused and the policy I was going for is now trying to sell me extras.

It’s a fully comp policy, but I can upgrade to include cover for an “accident with an uninsured driver” for another £28.00 (just under 10% of the annual policy cost)

WTF! Fully comp used to mean cover for pretty much all incidents (maybe dropping of for things like an accident while DUI).

Is this a new thing?

PS – Do you even know if you are covered for this or has this crept in under the radar?

tjagain

it covers your NCD IIRC

doomanic

What does it actually cover? There should be a dialogue box or footnote explaining what it does.

mashr

WTF! Fully comp used to mean cover for pretty much all incidents

No it didn’t. I worked for Direct Line 20 years ago and even then they drummed it into everyone there to not use the “fully” part as it never covered all eventualities

bentandbroken

What does it actually cover? There should be a dialogue box or footnote explaining what it does.

Nope, you have to use the online chat feature, which has so far produced aero feedback

No it didn’t. I worked for Direct Line 20 years ago and even then they drummed it into everyone there to not use the “fully” part as it never covered all eventualities

I’ve been driving for more than 20 years and have never thought that I might not be insured if I was hit by an uninsured driver. I bet I am not the only one.

{Edit}
    From the website I was using;

Policy price: For Barbara, the cheapest was £120.96 from Swinton Insurance for a fully comprehensive policy, with protected no-claims bonus, and including a courtesy car.

Superficial
    Free Member

Sounds like a way to swindle you out of a few more £££, but I don’t know. I’ve not come across this.

FYI The Motor Insurers’ Bureau have an uninsured drivers scheme. Have a look at that too.

jeffl

I would presume it allows you to claim on your policy and keep your NCD. Normally if you had another accident and it was not your fault you’d claim on the other drivers policy. If they don’t have insurance then you need to claim of your insurance, but you lose your NCD.

Greybeard
    Free Member

The Motor Insurers Bureau run a scheme funded by the insurance companies to pay compensation to victims of uninsured drivers. But they say they don’t pay out for damage to the vehicle if it has comprehensive insurance, although they may pay compensation for injury. I expect that paying an extra premium gets you more benefits direct from your insurer, and maybe protects you NCB. The policy should explain what it covers – in fact, the policy must do that, as it’s the contract between you and the insurer, if it doesn’t say what you get, you get nothing.

MoreCashThanDash

Of course comprehensive insurance covers you if you are hit by an uninsured motorist.

These new additional add ons are to preserve your no claims discount if they/you can’t recover the costs from the uninsured motorist.

bentandbroken

Main policy states that there is no “no claims discount” scheme.

It’s also the first insurance for a learner so they don’t have any to protect.

Still no reply from the Webchat (I am also waiting for HMRC and Currys so am virtual Q’d three times….)

riddoch

isn’t it protecting your excess rather than your NCB. Normally you can claim back the excess from the other driver if it is their fault and but your NCB would still be lost unless you have it “protected”. The Direct Line uninsured driver guarantee suggest that they protect both.

matt_outandabout

isn’t it protecting your excess rather than your NCB.

This.

So your insurance will pay out (As part of main policy) for your car repairs.
    You will pay full excess.
    Your insurance premium will rise, just reduced a bit as you have intact NCD.

fazzini

I work for a provider of insurance – and our ‘Uninsured Driver Promise’ comes as standard. To be clear, with a comprehensive policy from us, you would be covered if hit by an uninsured driver, however, the claim would be managed as a ‘fault’ claim – one where we cannot recover all costs of dealing with the claim. As this is a fault claim, it will mean you will be liable for any excess plus your NCB will be reduced (if not protected), or you will have lost one of your ‘lives’ for keeping your NCB protection.
    With the uninsured driver promise section of cover, provided we can identify the driver and the fact that the vehicle/driver is indeed uninsured then we will resolve the claim as a non-fault claim – so no excess payable(or refunded if paid at the outset of claim) and no impact on NCB or its protection, or reinstatement of this if it had been affected at the outset.

mashr

Just for clarification (as my previous post was uselessly vague) I meant that you would be covered in this case, but things like your NCB would be lost

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Car Insurance – Accident with an uninsured driver’ is closed to new replies.