Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Car indicator playing up
  • Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

Awaiting my Haynes manual in the post. In the meantime I'll rely on the collective knowledge of STW 😀 It's a 1999 Peugeot 306, bought at the weekend (I knew about the indicator before buying…).

Going right it fine. Going left, sometimes it's fine, tick tock tick tock etc. But sometimes it goes ticktockticktocktickotck, i.e. twice as fast as usual, and the lights don't flash.

Is it the relay? I have taken it out and cleaned it, but it was pretty clean already and looked fine. It is slightly better now. Squirted some WD40 in for good measure. Any other ideas what the problem might be? I remember having this problem on a clio and I think it needed a new relay.

Thank you!

gareth

falkirk-mark

Is one of your bulbs got a bad contact. If one is out it can flash at a different speed

Gary_M
    Free Member

Since it's a Peugeot you will become no stranger to electrical problems. I know as I have a 307 which has a new and bizarre electrical problem every week and blows bulbs at an incredible rate.

I'd never buy another Peugeot, ever.

Coyote
    Free Member

Rapid flashing is usually caused by a duff bulb. That's how the car lets you know there's a problem. Remove and reseat all indicator bulbs. Also check for water behind the lens cover.

samuri
    Free Member

Does it have a BMW indicator installed by mistake? They tend not to work very well.

Alternatively, does it have a fish on the back?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If not a bulb, it could also be a faulty fuse (although not blown, it might have a similar dicky contact).

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

And keep WD40 in your glove box.

jackthedog
    Free Member

My Citroen of similar vintage does this exact thing too – mega fast clicking with no lights showing. Our motors probably use the same hardware.

Sometimes if I accelerate hard it goes away and returns when I brake, so it must be a loose connection – one I assume is around the steering column somewhere as that's what I punch in order to remedy it.

STATO
    Free Member

I love how people have had time to find these particualr quirks of when it does or dosnt work, rather than taking it to a garage to get the thing fixed so you dont cause a sodding accident!!!

dmiller
    Free Member

My 106 used to do this when the light clusters filled up with water… resolved it by writing off the car and getting a new one 😉

cp

STATO – what do you think the garage is going to do to replicate the fault??!

colnagokid

could be the indicator switch. Had a similar problem on a couple of different cars and both times it was the switch assembley thingy getting worn and doing its own thing

MountainMutant
    Free Member

my Audi doesn't do this 😉

gusamc
    Free Member

posssibly bad earth, check connectivity end 2 end, and make sure indicators aren't waterlogged etc.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I love how people have had time to find these particualr quirks of when it does or dosnt work, rather than taking it to a garage to get the thing fixed so you dont cause a sodding accident!!!

Fault occurred. I pulled over. I investigated it. My lights functioned normally. No risk of any accident. I continued on my way. Nobody injured or inconvenienced.

rootes1

ha! pug electrics welcome to world of french design..

it should not be the relay as the same flash function works both the left and right – so if right works the relay is ok

my 306 always had issues with the left rear cluster – used to 'christams tree' as the garages call it – or as the mot failure sheets says:

operation of one light adversley effect the operation of another..

this is all down to poor earthing… take the bulb module out (first remove leads, remore cluster, then pull bulb baord from lamp) and clean all the contacts in the moduel and the cable (inc the bulb base contacts etc.. on the 306 the lefthand cluster is earthed back to the righthad rear cluster so clean that up as well..

small emergy board is helpful to clean and when all contact are clean smear a bit of vaseline on them..

also as others have said take out the indicator bulbs in the side repeaters and the front – clean bulb if not blown AND bult socket

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

Oh dear. What have I got myself into…

Hope that Haynes manual turns up soon.

Cheers fellas. I have a feeling it might not be last time I'm on here for advice…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Car indicator playing up’ is closed to new replies.