Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Car hire & sourcing own insurance
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Just got back to UK to go visit my bro. Have just booked an auto Skoda Octavia for a week. Would prefer to organise my own insurance / damage cover than use their own. I’m on an Australian license not a UK one. Any recommendations? (skoda or similar they say. Don’t care as long as it’s auto as I cba driving manual and haven’t for 10+ years)

simon_g

I’ve used these before – https://www.insurance4carhire.com/

You just take the minimum level / highest excess option from the hire company, if you do crash it then you pay the excess and claim off your policy. Used to hire cars quite frequently and most years we’d be in NZ needing a hire car for a few weeks so it saved us quite a bit.

tjagain

I have used “insurance 4 car hire” for excess insurance. I did a few hundred pounds worth of damage from stupidity to a hire car – they paid out eventually but I had to pay the hire co £1000. I got £550 back from them after 2 months as the repair cost £450 then a couple of months later got the rest back from insurance 4 care hire. So if you can afford to pay out the excess and wait for the claim to be paid I would say its a very good deal. If you cannot then use the car hirte place.

I use enterprise mainly for car hire and sometimes arnold clerk. Not because they are the cheapest but because the service is top notch and the depot is near my house

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah got an auto Skoda Octavia for 192 / week through enterprise. Only needed it for 6 days but was same price for 7 days. Last time my dad used them he ended up with a v6 twin turbo insignia estate so will see what I end up with.

Cheers for the rec’s. I’m flying back to Oz next Tues…. Struggling with 8c at the moment! Haha

fooman

I’ve used Questor Insurance for car hire excess – I did have to claim (they needed invoice from the hire company and credit card statement showing the amount exchanged to GBP) but settled super fast, something like 2 weeks from flying back. Oh and use Quidco for a little cashback on the policy.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

You just take the minimum level / highest excess option from the hire company, if you do crash it then you pay the excess and claim off your policy. Used to hire cars quite frequently and most years we’d be in NZ needing a hire car for a few weeks so it saved us quite a bit.

So would that cover damage by other people to the car? Reason being, I had a 3 series sport last time and some dick keyed the boot full width. Fortunately I covered it up and it was raining when I took it back so it wasn’t spotted…. Is it collision / damage waiver?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Moneysavingexpert for links

aphex_2k
    Free Member

So do you have any experience of this it are you just essentially telling me to google it? (I’m on my phone, perhaps s it looks different on a computer screen?)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Buy travel insurance from oz with cover otherwise it could get messy. Heaps if you Google it on the com.au

As.for hire sixt have been really good for me recently.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Cars already hired, picking up in the morning. 7pm now and I’m rooted. It’s all caught up on me.

Trying to book insurance now but hard to focus.no doubt I’ll be awake at 3am so I’ll look into booking insurance then. Zzzzzz

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OK, so to add and trying to be clear for the jetlagged in the room 😉

You can’t buy insurance somewhere you are not resident (from what I’ve checked in the past)
    First one from google
    https://www.rentalcarprotection.com.au

Hire a lot over here at the moment, basically you put your card down against the damage excess – that is the max you are liable for – normally about £1000 these days. If you don’t take insurance form them in the event of a problem that can go from your card or not be released.

If you have 3rd party insurance any claim is down to the rules they stipulate (there is still an excess generally on those policies too). You claim through them to recover the loss.

I’ve seen some of the global ones being a little better if it’s non fault and the other party has admitted liability – ie somebody runs into the back of you – you can pass over details and get that taken care of by the insurance only.

For a single trip take a look at what they charge – for less hassle it’s sometimes just worth knocking it down to a sensible excess with the company – I have an annual policy so don’t.

Make sure you have your passport with you, and any other ID docs you have.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Cheers Mike but the the one I went with asked me what country I was hiring in, and what was my country of residence. Even says it on the policy docs.of course you can get insurance in a country you don’t reside. People hire cars all over the world when on holiday. They’re insured.

Had a big chat with them and confirmed cover as an Oz resident for a UK trip / hire. Got a copy of the chat transcript and obvs all the policy docs. Cost 60 bucks.

https://www.rentalcover.com/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=transactional&utm_content=rentalcover&utm_campaign=SINGLETRIP_RECEIPT&booking=149O-P88L-INS&_lang=en

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No worries might have updated but the name looks very familiar to one of the oz ones I’ve used so they ate probably just a broker with an updated front end.

Anyway enjoy the trip and hope the policy isn’t needed 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Cheers buddy.

Slight hiccup. They couldn’t get in the Skoda Octavia. I wanted auto as it’s been ten years since I drove manual. They were very sorry and unfortunately had to upgrade me to a 220d C Class Merc. Gutted

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah the premium for an auto is ridiculous here – most people haven’t worked out they are just way nicer 😉 Only get one by accident these days

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oh are you back in UK now then mate? Must have missed that somehow. How long you been back? I am really missing good coffee but the woman in Costa knew what she was doing and made a wicked long macc.

Just off out for a blast in the motor. Need to fill up too and kinda dreading the potential cost! It ain’t gonna be 50 bucks I know that much.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Been back just over a year now, not a coffee drinker but the standard of cafe tea is getting better here!!

If you want good oz style stuff just head to the more hipster places 😉

Yeah you are going to pay a fair bit for fuel here, easy on the right foot

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Fo’ sho! Had a little play in sport+ with the flappy paddles. It does shift. I promise to be careful and not use anything but eco mode when hooning (sorry, driving courteously) down to Wales through the vah-leez….

Didn’t appreciate you came back. I tend to duck in and out of this place less frequently these days. Nowt much changes. Hope you’re well though. Might get my arse over to Derby one of these dayd.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Car hire & sourcing own insurance’ is closed to new replies.