Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • canyon nerve rear axle advice. QR to Thru Axle
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i got a canyon nerve 6.0 earlier in the year and have bought new wheels so ideally i want to upgrade from 135mmx9mm QR to a Thru Axle on the rear (make it stiffer, more robust)

Canyon don’t sell the thru axle, they call it a ‘canyon 12mm through axle’ so looking for advice on which one to buy,

i have got 2 different rear mechs a #29 (standard for QR that came on the bike) and also a #27 (also works on spectral shimano/raceface)
    i notice the #27 has a wider hole in it so likely to accomodate the 12mm thru axle, but what length,

it doesnt appear to have the Screw thread on the frame, like the spectral does. any help advice info greatly appreciated.

where should i be measuring for difference between 135mm and 142mm, is it the outer of the frame,

jimdubleyou

I have got a Nerve 29er – it has a 142/12 Syntace rear axle.

It’s threaded into a widget on the dropout (which I guess is replaceable, but never tried to take it apart).

otsdr
    Free Member

Presumably the X12 didn’t allow them to use cheaper QR wheels, so they dropped it in favor of a proprietary system; I assume their profit margins were also increased by not paying Syntace for the license.

old:

new:

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

jimdubleyou what model year is your nerve 29er, my widgets are per the ‘new’ picture by otsdr, but neither side seems to have a screw thread, so could do with someone with a recent 2016 model nerve to confirm, or the new neuron bike (which seems to be a downgrade of the nerve, new spec appears to be a one level down.)

i’ll be able to check a canyon spectral later this week, to see if it is the same widget in the frame, from memory that uses a
    DT Swiss RWS X-12 Alloy with M12x1″ thread pitch

which is called a “12X142 CANYON THROUGH AXLE SYSTEM” on the website
    spectral 7.0 EX 2016

ps. i’ve used canyon chat, but they have been useless, i dont think they like you upgrading parts :0(

jimdubleyou

It’s a 2015.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Looks like my widget in the frame is QR only drop out on the left hand rear

Best get in touch with canyon and try find someone who knows what they are talking about

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘canyon nerve rear axle advice. QR to Thru Axle’ is closed to new replies.