Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cannondales?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ve been hovering over a Capra Buy button for a while now, but my brothers shown me the incredible savings on Pauls on Cannondales.

Before I book a test, does anyone own a Jekyll or Trigger? Also what are leftys like?

I’m looking for a trail bike to compliment my XC Whippet, for going to trail centres, reds and blacks, Whinlatter and I’ve falen in love with Long Mynd over the last two days!

Any advice would be welcome.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

there was a thread regarding them last week

Cannondale Trigger? Bargain

poisonspider
    Free Member

I’ve got a Capra and it is definitely the best bike I’ve ever owned.

Not sure its necessarily the best bike for just trail centres and Long Mynd etc though. You really wouldn’t be doing it justice.

Something around the 140mm travel mark would be more appropriate for that surely?

funkrodent

In true STW tradition I’m happy to comment on something I know little about (having ridden neither the Capra or the Cannondales). The Capra is meant to be one hell of a bike, but it is primarily an All Mountain / Enduro focused bike, might it not be a little too much for trail centres?

The Trigger is a bike that Harry The Spider of this parish rides (used to organise Hit The North and a driving force behind the weekly Monday Night Pub Ride up here). Can’t say that I know him well, but when I rode with him he was very complimentary about the Trigger and it’s fair to say that he knows his onions.

I’ve just purchased a reduced Vitus off Chain Reaction, but if that Trigger deal had been available I’d have been sorely tempted.

Lefty forks generally get well reviewed btw even though they look wrong!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

The trigger is 140mm on the lefty? It’s nice and light too the carbon one, but the lefty forks I’m struggling to get! Think it’s because they’re so odd looking!

poisonspider
    Free Member

The Capra is meant to be one hell of a bike, but it is primarily an All Mountain / Enduro focused bike, might it not be a little too much for trail centres?

Agreed.

Given you can ride 99% of trail centres at a decent lick on a hardtail, a Capra is definitely overkill.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

took delivery of a jekyll 3 from pauls last week, done abut 60 miles on it so far around the peak. maybe a touch too much travel up front for most loops, but its great fun at 160mm front and 95/160mm rear. Dyad shock feels great and i know a few who’ve had them for a couple of years hassle free. Was tempted by the trigger carbon, but overall im very happy with the pikes up front and the more solid feel of the jekyll. no opion on the capra…

rascal
    Free Member

My Trigger 4 arrived last week.
    Not really ridden it in anger yet but very impressed with the sheer amount you get for – let’s be honest – a paultry amount for a bike these days. Need to fit Reverb properly (taped to top tube at mo) and fettle fork and shock settings. Can’t comment on the Capra but the Trigger feels very capable at 140mm after an initial ride.
    Some bits are low rent (Deore cranks & possibly wheels) but a relatively cheap & easy fix – you’d keep well over a grand in your pocket too…I love mine.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Lefty forks are fantastic, the stanchion is square and runs on rows of needle bearings, so no need for a second leg to keep the wheel pointing the same way as the bars. And Bearings instead of bushings means no stiction. so they are really active over the small stuff.

Some of the early ones have problems with sealing, primitive damping and bearing migration but they’ve been making the forks long enough that all of these problems have been ironed out in the later ones.

Stiff, light and strong. It’s just a shame they aren’t cheap.

If cannondale didn’t own the patents then WAY more forks would be designed like them.

Garry_Lager

I have a jekyll and it’s too much bike (for me) for typical Peak or Long Mynd stuff. Like it’s superb to have it down Cavedale, but the other 20 miles of the ride don’t really merit it. So would look at the trigger for this sort of classic UK riding.
    Jekyll is a great enduro bike to have, if you ride them.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Thought I’d just take a look at the Trigger 4 on pauls cycles….. that’s amazing value!

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve only ridden it a few times so far but really happy with my Trigger 2 (once I’d swapped the tyres). I also have a 2009 Zesty and I’d say the ride in general is pretty similar, the Trigger seems to carry speed better though, my only minor issue so far is I’m getting more trail feedback through the bars (not in a good way). Not sure if this is because the Lefty still needs to bed in a bit (shock pressure is fine) or the carbon bars or just overall increased front-end stiffness and like I say it’s a very minor complaint and something that even if it doesn’t improve I’m sure I’ll just get used to soon enough (and the trails I’ve been riding are mostly man-made with a stony surface so more likely to create buzz than natural trails).

poisonspider
    Free Member

and the trails I’ve been riding are mostly man-made with a stony surface so more likely to create buzz than natural trails)

Cannock by any chance?

Harry_the_Spider

The Trigger is a bike that Harry The Spider of this parish rides (used to organise Hit The North and a driving force behind the weekly Monday Night Pub Ride up here). Can’t say that I know him well, but when I rode with him he was very complimentary about the Trigger and it’s fair to say that he knows his onions.

Me? onions?

I bought it because it was cheap. The fact I like it and it hasn’t let me down over the first 1000km is a bonus.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cannondales?’ is closed to new replies.