Cannondale’s 2 shock downhill bike is official

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cannondale’s 2 shock downhill bike is official
  • Premier Icon singletrackandi
    Subscriber

Cannondale released a video today showing off the new dual shock downhill platform. Looks rad!

https://singletrackworld.com/2019/04/cannondale-2-shock-downhill-bike-confirmed-in-this-official-video/

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Just copying Suzuki’s “Spring On A Stick”. Quite interesting though.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Moar shox is betterer, coz.

simonloco

Separate dampers for compression and rebound make a lot of sense.

Premier Icon orangespyderman
    Subscriber

I just drooled on my keyboard a bit. It makes both the mountain biker and the nerd in me tingle. I lurve it.

More rally/baja truck inspiration I see – just need to do it on a high pivot bike.

Dual dampers or separated damper and springs can be used in interesting ways.

tjagain

but not on front ends eh rayban? 😉

simonloco

There was that other twin shock frame a few years ago, name escapes me, that used 2 rear shocks, they worked in different parts of the travel from memory.
    (I don’t mean Bender’s Karpiel 😉 )I
    Edit: it was a stage 2 & 11 year ago, I feel old now :-/

but not on front ends eh rayban?

Hah! 😀 Cheeky point taken

Ahem, well teles allow you to keep the leverage ratio on the damping linear whilst progressively increasing the spring rate.i I guess the positional effect of the leverage ratio on damping cannot be played with as easily and separate to the spring rate/leverage on the spring – but you can also use positional damping circuits. There’s enough room allow you options in terms of separating damper functions into each leg, it just adds weight which most mtbers hate.

It’s late, I haven’t entirely got my head around the Cannondale. I’m guessing with the Cannondale, using different leverage ratios for spring rate and damper can help alter the range of shaft velocities on damper? My brain has been fried by some nasty maths – but we can argue about this on Thursday evening?

😀

Edit: Watched the video – the axle path looks like it might be interesting. It’s got some kind of idler with a four bar setup.

To be pedantic, it isn’t two shocks. The coil spring is attached to a progressive linkage; the hydraulic damper is attached to a linear linkage. So it’s the usual pairing of coil spring and damper, just mounted differently, separate rather than concentric.

Makes a lot of sense – with a linear linkage coils bottom out too easily or are too firm at the start of the travel, whilst with a progressive linkage dampers are either harsh/slow at the end or soft/quick at the start.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

There was that other twin shock frame a few years ago, name escapes me, that used 2 rear shocks, they worked in different parts of the travel from memory.

The original Cannondale Gemini prototypes?

To be pedantic, it isn’t two shocks.

It’s been seen running with 2 shocks, 1 shock, and 1 shock plus second damper, apparently. They look to be using the frame to try out lots of ideas.

Premier Icon mattbee
    Subscriber

I had a Scott Octane WC DH bike with 2 shocks, one with spring and the other without so effectively a second damper rather than shock.

Had a massive sofa saddle with 2 posts to support it too…

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

2Stage?

mashr

It’s been seen running with 2 shocks, 1 shock, and 1 shock plus second damper, apparently. They look to be using the frame to try out lots of ideas.

Probably a good chance that the spring shock (for want of a better word) had its guts ripped out of it so they didn’t need to make their own tube for early testing

Premier Icon singletrackandi
    Subscriber

If we look way back, Kestral had a 2 shock bike at one time didn’t they? Was it the Rubicon?

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

I suppose it gives the option of separating Compression and rebound into entirely different dampers, possibly operating under differnt ramp rates/compression throughout the stroke?

Interesting, but will it ever see market? at least looking like this?

trumpton

just another silly design that will mean spares are unobtainable a few years after release.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.