Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cannondale Lefty and OPI stem removal.
  • monksie
    Free Member

Do I need any other tool than a bb removal tool to take the fork and stem off so I can grease the headset bearings and something slightly narrower than the steerer tube (I’m planning to use a rolling pin) to knock the stem up? Will refitting it also be problematic without a specific tool?
    Google and YouTube searching is proving to be quite confusing.
    Thanks

Rorschach
    Free Member

No.It is easier with ‘Ernie’ though.Lining up everything can be a pita but not horrific.I did one the other evening (they do have a nasty habit of seizing to the bearing.don’t be shy with the copper slip when you re-assemble).

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply. The bike is making an awful knocking/creaking noise that I’ve chased all over the frame and parts and the only thing left is the headset. It feels gritty anyway so I’ll give it a go on Saturday.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just try tightening the clamp bolts?

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s not an xl ,ali frame is it?

monksie
    Free Member

Medium alloy Rorschach. Need I be worried?
    Definitely needs more than bolts tightening Eddie.

sefton
    Free Member

I did mine with rubber mallet.was a little fiddly to get it to screw back on.but I did it in the end.

jimification
    Free Member

I’d get an ernie: http://qwertycycles.co.uk/products/cannondale-lefty-stem-steerer-install-removal-tool-ernie-kt020

You can get away without but I mashed up an opi stem thread doing that so would only use an Ernie now.

Also worth checking you have the latest steerer, as they fixed the creaking issue on older flashes / F29’s / scalpels by adding a shoulder to it. This is the new one: http://qwertycycles.co.uk/products/cannondale-opi-steerer-std-kh078-std

DanW
    Free Member

Prepare for this to be a massive PITA and then be pleasantly surprised if it isn’t 😉 That is my best advice

Rorschach
    Free Member

Had a few issues with the unwelded portion of the seat tube where it meets the BB shell (behind the downtube) creaking under pedal loads as it moved slightly and rubs the shell.
    Happened with a few Defy’s aswell but only xl ones too.
    It took about 3 full days to isolate the issue 😡

monksie
    Free Member

What was the fix Rorschach? Just in case….
    I’ve been convinced it was something around the chainset / bb but I couldn’t find anything. I’ll go back and have another look.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s not something you could see happening.I systematically replaced every possible cause until it had to be the frame.Then stripped everything off and made a bar to replicate pedalling loads.
    Cannondale/Giant replaced the frame under warranty (twice and after a LOT of ‘discussion’).

monksie
    Free Member

Oh dear…..I’ll see how it goes but my bike is 2 years old.
    It’ll be the headset.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Lefty and OPI stem removal.’ is closed to new replies.