Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cane creek on orange 5 – settings
  • jockthestore
    Free Member

Does anyone have any suggestion for setting up my (awesome) cane creek on my orange 5? We are talking about ‘5 clicks in high speed comp, 3 clicks in low speed comp’ sort of settings. A big ask I know, but someone out there might have found the ideal setup…..

Rik
    Free Member

The ideal set up for them and the terrain they ride on…….., ride it for 3 months on the stock setting then do back to back runs changing one setting at a time. 🙄

nmdbase
    Free Member

It’s on the web somewhere, settings from cane creek technical support for a 5

Rik
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that will be the base settings for the CCDB – which is how it will come shipped.

Whats the point of having the most adjustable shock on the market if your not going to dial it in to your personal settings rather than than someone else. Who will probably ride different terrain, have a different style, different build, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Why do you think the likes of TF etc ask you all the above questions if you send a shock to them to set up or push………….

neallyman
    Free Member

Whats the point of having the most adjustable shock on the market if your not going to dial it in to your personal settings rather than than someone else. Who will probably ride different terrain, have a different style, different build, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Exactly!
    Get out there and experiment. You’ll be amazed at just how much difference a 1/2 turn of HSC and HSR actually makes so only do it one or 2 at a time and see how it feels.

Also, be careful to note exactly where in the range your base settings are. I had a bit of confusion with mine when it came from TF as they said the HSC was ‘3 turns on’ which I thought was pretty high up the range given that full range is 3.5 turns. They actually meant 3 ‘1/2 turns’ on so was nearer 40% of the HSC range with loads still to go. Also, I find the wee cc spanner thing will only turn the HS adjusters a quarter turn at a time, so again count these quarter turns carefully and note them down when you’re out.

Anyway – play around with it and experiment!

nmdbase
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that will be the base settings for the CCDB – which is how it will come shipped.

No it isn’t, it was the test riders settings I think.

You are right about setting it up yourself though.

vikingboy
    Free Member

Absolutely love this shock…..two years on it fettling and testing on two different bikes has helped me learn a lot about bike suspension dynamics and how to set suspension up. I’d ride it standard for a good few miles before you tinker, get to know how it’s base settings ride…….and understand the low and high speed circuits aren’t completely and wholy truly independent, there is a balance that needs to be understood to optimise the settings. The thing is a piece of engineering beauty IMHO. it just keeps getting better and better with age 🙂
    None of it is magic, as some guys said above, when you feel ready start to experiment one dial at a time in small increments and write everything down so you can get back to the last known good position.

ninenailspete
    Free Member

These are the suggested settings for that initial period to get you in the right sort of area, posted by obiwankenobi on this forum a while ago:

These are the recommended settings for the ccdb on the five from cane creeks five test rider sent through from Malcolm at cc.
    Turn Adjusters clockwise

HSR – 1.0-1.5 turns in from all out
    LSR – 8-12 clicks from all out
    HSC – 1.5-2.0 turns in from all out
    LSC – 10-15 clicks in from all out

Also get your sag sorted out, this also from malcolm at cc-

We like a 30-35% sag range. This would be measured with your riding gear on. Take the bottom out bumper pry it out of the lower spring retainer and move it up the piston shaft, till it touches the shock body. Now take all pre load out of the spring, then turn the pre load spring collar clockwise till it touches the spring. Once it touches the spring give it another ¼ turn clockwise. Get on the bike I like to rest the handlebars against a wall to balance myself and get in a riding position.
    Get off the bike and look how far the bottom out bumper has moved down the piston shaft. On your shock length you are looking for 15mm to 18mm of gap between the top of the bottom out bumper and the shock body. This will be a 30-35% sag range. For less sag add a turn of pre load a 360 degree turn: 6 turns would be max.

nmdbase
    Free Member

That’s the one!

jockthestore
    Free Member

As you say nmdbase, that’s the one. Thanks ninenail..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cane creek on orange 5 – settings’ is closed to new replies.