Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Candles
  • Cougar

Two related questions.

I like a smelly candle. Not least because one of the cats does the stinkiest poos known to man. I’ve got a Yankee Candle on the go at the moment.

1) It’s burnt itself out with, what, a quarter of the wax still left? Is there any way of rescuing that?

2) Are there better options than Yankee? Cos they’re bloody expensive for a jar of scented lard. Everything else I’ve tried thus far has been naff.

fasthaggis

dropoff

Incense sticks are a possible alternative, much cheaper and many different scents available.

kormoran
    Free Member

Two Ronnie’s jokes aside, have you tried making your own. It’s dead easy and you can add in your left over Brut or Hai Karate thusly killing several birds with one stone

mrjmt
    Free Member

Who was that celebrity that now sells candles? Bob Holeness or Annika Rice or someone?

peaslaker
    Free Member
    1. My better half does this plenty. Remelts candle wax and pops in a new wick.  Just be aware of flashpoint and be super circumspect if doing over gas.  Do it with good ventilation because of the volatile hydrocarbons
    maccruiskeen

Who was that celebrity that now sells candles? Bob Holeness or Annika Rice or someone?

Bob Carolgees

I think he may have had a cease and desist letter though

Or possibly Gweneth Paltrow

thols2

Go down to the chip shop and ask them for some used cooking oil. Use that in an oil lamp and your house will smell like a chip shop.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are there better options than Yankee?

Ugh. Yankee Candle smell like scented rubbers from the 80s or cheap soap, or both. Awful things. I buy Aromaworks ones from Waitrose (although not very often) when they are on sale. Expensive, but far nicer than YC. If you want naff smells for less you can get passable ones from Asda. Or if you want nice smells for less make your own and put your choice of essential oil in the wax.

kayak23

doomanic

😁

Well, it made me smile.

eatmorepizza
    Free Member

The wife uses wax melts

Bregante

“Bob Carolgees”

One of my favourite MNPR Strava segment names!

binners

My mate Nic does these rather lovely home made candles and incense sticks in loads of different scents

We have them burning regularly due to exact same reason as yours – one of our cats could be employed for chemical warfare – so I can vouch for their effectiveness

Witchy Candles

maccruiskeen

Have you considered taking up vapping?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Two Ronnie’s jokes aside, have you tried making your own. I

father jack ear wax candles

doomanic

Not least because one of the cats does the stinkiest poos known to man.

one of our cats could be employed for chemical warfare

Get a dog. Near instant litterbox cleaning service. 🤮

johndoh
    Free Member

Alternatively, go to Aldi and get some of those scented diffusers?

MoreCashThanDash

Yankee Candle smell like scented rubbers from the 80s

Thats a very specific memory…..

GolfChick
    Free Member

I prefer wax melts, village wax melts specifically. But be careful with any scented candles/melts and animals, double check that any oils contained aren’t harmful to the animals.

TiRed

Long Covid? Not smelt the dog for three and a half years. Saved a fortune on deodorant and washing powder too. And people no longer seem to invade my personal space. OK, red wine has little taste, but you can’t win them all!

On a more serious note, we have some deodorising candles, the small tealight type that sit in a holder and cost little.

desperatebicycle

I like em too, especially with a good horror film on telly.

Get mine from Lidl – they have a load of different whiffs all around £3. Had one that was coffee & <something> (can’t remember what!) made the whole house smell lovely.

Asda also have cheaper options, but mostly in the fruit variety, things like dragon fruit & rambutan or nosberry & sage. Not into the fruity ones meself though.

swdan
    Free Member

Putoline, you can do your chain at the same time

cinnamon_girl

There are other options besides candles, for example a ceramic tea light holder where you simply add fragrance oil or essential oil diluted with water.  There are longer burn tea lights available that I think last 4 hours, tea lights are as cheap as chips too.  Example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194757044816?hash=item2d586caa50:g:oRsAAOSwT-Vky6wM

Another option is reed diffusers either ready made or you can make your own which is what I do.  Again, another cheap option where you could have several in the room.

An ultrasonic diffuser could be a good choice, fill with either fragrance or essential oil and add water then simply plug in.  These can last up to 8 hours, depending on capacity.  Huge selection on the mighty ‘A’.

bobdobalina
    Free Member

MUJI (Japanese store) are good-their log fire candle smells amazing. Those or IKEA  do a good range.

daviek

Surely it’s got to be one of Gwyneth Paltrows candles?

the-muffin-man

Oil burner is the answer – can kick out a much stronger smell than candles.

Pic for illustration purposes only – artisan burners and oils are also available! 🙂

kayak23

Personally I don’t think trying to mask horrible smells with nice smells works.

See toilet air fresheners.
    If someone has been in before me and had a monumental poo then sprayed a bit of Glade Summer Meadow about, it don’t smell like no Summer Meadow I know.

It smells like an overpowering blend of shit AND summer meadow, thereby forever tainting your enjoyment of ACTUAL summer meadows from there forwards.

Deal with the cat.

desperatebicycle

An ultrasonic diffuser

Ooh, how romantic 😛

frankconway

Get rid of the cat.
    Alternatively – Price’s deodourising tealights.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.