Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Candles round the bath
  • project
    Free Member

What is the current craze to set fire to candles around a bath or when watching tv, they cause fires smell and smoke etc,fellow cyclist at the weekend said he was looking forward to a bath that night lit by candles, i thought he had suffered a power cut, and i thought it was a womans thing..

Whats the world coming to.

Northwind

Candles are nice. Also, if you’re worried about candles causing fire when around the edge of the bath, I think you’re doing baths wrong.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What I don’t understand is if you put candles ALL round your bath, where do you put your bottle of Cobra and bowl of crisps?

project
    Free Member

Most baths are made from plastic resins, candles usually live in small aluminium trays, eg tea lights which get hot and can burn into a bath, giving off toxic fumes etc.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

if you put candles around the bath can you do marshmallow bbq thingy? 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Most baths are made for plastic resins

I thought they were made for bathing and washing in. Sometimes even for putting candles around and making the naughty in the bubbles….

😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve never found a bath big enough to do that in. Unless you’re alluding to a ménage-a-un ?

scotroutes

🙄
    Hello Herr van Winkle. Welcome to the 21st Century

m0rk
    Free Member

It must be to light farts. Can’t think of any other testosterone reason for them existing.

GrahamS

Doesn’t work as well in the shower 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

I put tea lights floating in the bath once, like I’d seen on telly. They kept floating close to my legs and singeing my leg hairs. Terrified to move.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Doesn’t work as well in the shower

Making the bouncy bouncy? That works very well in the shower.

TooTall
    Free Member

Most baths are made from plastic resins, candles usually live in small aluminium trays, eg tea lights which get hot and can burn into a bath, giving off toxic fumes etc.

If you are unable to mitigate this particular hazard, how on earth do you get along on a daily basis? I know I can use candles without constantly destroying my home in clouds of noxious gases.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Speaking of tea lights, although digressing slightly, during our last power cut my wife rang me for help. I nipped home and dug out a packet of 100 IKEA tea lights and a box of matches, commenting that ‘that should see you right for the evening’. I went back for my tea a while later, to find the house in darkness, 100 spent tea lights on the table, and a complaint about them only lasting 15 minutes 🙄

CountZero

Nobody with any sense would use tea lights on their own, they always go into a container, like a sort of shot-glass, to prevent the sort of scenario you’re alluding to.
    And as scotroutes says, this is hardly a new phenomenon, probably been around for twenty/thirty years, although it’s generally a girl-thing.
    I have tea-lights on sometimes when I’m listening to music, if I think of it.

bearnecessities

Prepare bath with candles = laid.

Prepare bath with candles & glass of bubbly = very laid.

Prepare bath with candles, glass of bubbly and offer of non-sexual scrub = bar set way too high.

project
    Free Member

I put tea lights floating in the bath once, like I’d seen on telly. They kept floating close to my legs and singeing my leg hairs. Terrified to move

now that is funny

slowoldman

and i thought it was a womans thing

It is. Tell him he needs to have a word with himself.

Oh and he needs
    http://www.scotchbeefandlamb.com/scotch-beef-and-lamb-home-fragrance-range-launched

Cougar

Current craze?

Have you just stopped by from the 1800s?

hooli

He has let the side down massively, there is no reason for a man to use candles unless there is a powercut.

Unless of course he is trying to get laid 😉

bruneep

problem is and I’ve seen the aftermath of numerous fires done this way many people think that the little aluminum tray that tea lights come in are suitable holders for the candles, they light them and place on the fibreglass bath, the heat is then conducted down and sets the bath on fire.

The safest candle is the one unlit in a shop nowhere near your home.

Aye you’d think that wouldn’t you but……

gobuchul
    Free Member

Oh FFS! 🙄

Now that is ‘elf and safety gone mad!

Cougar

they light them and place on the fibreglass bath, the heat is then conducted down and sets the bath on fire.

*checks the calendar*

Yup.

gobuchul
    Free Member

*checks the calendar*

Well if this was an April Fool I admit he got me! 😳

bruneep

nope

the public are stupid at times

Cougar

You can set a fibreglass bath on fire with conducted heat from the base of a tea light? That doesn’t seem possible to me.

With a bit of Googling: Fibreglass gets a bit melty at about 1,200’C and doesn’t really catch fire at any particular point. Acrylic has a melting point of 160’C and an ignition point of 560’C. Candle wax burns at around 60’C. A candle flame is around 1,000’C.

The only way I can think of to set a bath on fire with a tealight would be to hold the flame directly against the acrylic; ie, if you were to try to do it intentionally. I guess if you were to knock it over so that the spilled wax caught light, or maybe if the tea light burned very low, the temperature might increase sufficiently. But it sounds… implausible to me. Melt, perhaps, but set on fire?

duckman

OP,could you tell your mate to hand in his man card and start shopping in the Ladies section for pants in future. Candles around the bath can lead to your beer getting warmed up quickly,so problem.

jon1973
    Free Member

This reminds me of the IT Crowd episode when Roy was trying to work out how a fire could have broken out at a sea life centre.

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s the “wolf hall” effect, so you can’t see the smallpox and gonorrhea sores

rocketman
    Free Member

The BILs bathroom is really scary

He lives in a female-dominated house and the bathroom is a kindof shrine/grotto thing with candles/lotions/pills and fricken dolls everywhere. Every time I go I resist the urge to scoop the whole fricken lot into the bin

Jakester
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Sometimes even for putting candles around and making the naughty in the bubbles….

I thought the candles were to get rid of the noxious fumes from doing the naughty in the bath? ❓

<edit> Oh, I see, you don’t mean farting…

bruneep

Ah your google phd is strong

so explain to me how a house fire I attended started in the bathroom after the occupier forgot to snuff out the candles? Bath area was the seat of fire no electrics(shower etc) around that area, she admitted having about a dozen tea lights lit around bath surface and not extinguishing them only the smoke alarm alerted her when she was drying her hair.

I may have to amend my fire report(s)

Light a tea candle and let it burn down as see how long you can hold it for

Cougar

Ah your google phd is strong

… as I said in my second paragraph. It seemed unlikely so I tried to work it out.

explain to me how a house fire I attended started in the bathroom after the occupier forgot to snuff out the candles?

I’ve no idea beyond my original speculation, I’m not an incident investigator. Why don’t you explain to me how a tea light managed to set fire to a fibreglass bath with a melting point of around 1600’C? Did it fall off and set the floor alight first?

I read a fire safety report whilst I was googing which talked of tests where tealights melted through the top of a (presumably CRT?) TV and caused a fire. That makes perfect sense to me as the melting point of plastic is a tenth of that of fibreglass and I can readily see how depositing the contents of a burning candle onto a high tension circuit might start a fire. But a fibreglass bath? I don’t get it.

This isn’t a STW “I’m right I’m you’re wrong” argument, btw. I’ve no idea really, I’m just trying to work out how that could happen because it doesn’t make any sense to me. It seems to be more your area of expertise than mine so if you’ve any insights I’m all ears.

theotherjonv

Stuff doesn’t have to ‘melt’ to catch fire. Wood doesn’t melt first. It (cellulosic material) starts to release volatile vapours at about 150C which then catch fire.

It’s entirely possible that some constituent of the resins may give rise to volatile vapours that can then catch light.

I like the statement above:

The safest candle is the unlit one in a shop nowhere near your home.

bruneep
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Project, have you ever had an encounter with a postman and his special ‘Laser gun’?

😆

hooli

I read a fire safety report whilst I was googing which talked of tests where tealights melted through the top of a (presumably CRT?) TV and caused a fire. That makes perfect sense to me as the melting point of plastic is a tenth of that of fibreglass and I can readily see how depositing the contents of a burning candle onto a high tension circuit might start a fire. But a fibreglass bath? I don’t get it.

Perhaps the bath was plastic and not fibreglass?

theotherjonv

Fibreglass is ‘plastic’* – it’s a ‘plastic’ resin with glass fibres embedded in it to make it more structurally resilient.

So’s carbon fibre. It’s just coaldust and plastic 😉

Sorry, overpriced coaldust and plastic

* using the man in the street definition of ‘plastic’ as opposed to a technical definition.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Perhaps what caught fire in the bath was a plastic container, may be like the kind that shampoo comes in…

or maybe it was this guy?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I love the way that a thread on STW about putting lovely pretty scented tea lights around a luxurious steaming bubble bath, can so rapidly degenerate into a debate about the flash point of acrylic and the heat conductivity of aluminium.

So STW… 🙄

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Candles round the bath’ is closed to new replies.