Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Can you get a bike in the back of a mini?
  • flashes
    Free Member

I might be changing cars. Can you get a fat bike or 29+ in the back with just the front wheel out???
    Ta…

br
    Free Member

Take yours and find out?

tbh The problem with these kinda posts are that we’ve no idea what size bike you’ve got, as there is a world of difference between XL’s and the more pygmy ones.

avdave2

Will it have any elephants in it?

handyman153
    Free Member

Flashes –

I would say no, not without the rear wheel out as well. I have fit a cross bike (Size 56cm), with both wheels off, but an ISP post in the back before. But no chance with the rear wheel on!

orena45

I have to take both wheels off my Orbea Rallon (160mm fork, wide bars and 650b) and push the front passenger seat full forward with the back tilted forward to get mine in.

Got a roof rack now so it’s less faff these days!

flashes
    Free Member

Drat, that’s what I thought…..small Krampus or Pugsley, they’re my biggest bikes…..oh well I suppose I’ll have to think about a slightly larger car, as I need to be able to store a bike inside overnight occasionally….

slowoldman

Will it have any elephants in it?

No, the elephant’s in a cage.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANIA4IP245c[/video]

shifter
    Free Member

Is the back wheel not removable?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I can get my Krampus in a fiat 500.
    Can’t see a minion being much different in size?

ndthornton
    Free Member

old mini or new mini?
    New minis are huge!

shifter
    Free Member

That’s quite a daft question. I’m impressed.

flashes
    Free Member

Newer mini, but not one of the gigantic ones. I don’t like taking both wheels off, it’s to much of a kerfuffle…..

andyl
    Free Member

Depends how fast you ride into the back of it.

*I’ll get my coat*

What about the estate version with the barn doors on the back?

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Buy a bike rack for it, roof or a clip on one for the boot or if it’s not a cooper then get a tow bar fitted if you can. Win win I’d say given you’d have a Clean interior and both wheels can stay on.

andyjh

I have a new Mini and now I own a Citreon Berlingo to put my bikes in 🙂 Mini was just too much of a faff, rack would fit on the back due to the spoiler mine has, Mini rear carrier wouldn’t fit due to the JCW body kit, roof bars wouldn’t fit as not ordered during build. Hated the thought of messing up the interior so bought a cheap Berlingo and it’s great.

chestrockwell

My wife used to have a 60 reg mini. Both wheels off and passenger seat right forward to fit my 29″ full suss in.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I have a new (non-ginormous) Mini – and I can definitively say…

YES! you can get a bike in the back with only the front wheel off.

Done it with a 100mm hardtail, right up to an 18″ Orange Five.

Front passenger seat ha to be slid all the way forward and tipped forward so there is no room for a pasenger. And the bike has to be put in backwards first.

This said, I can get two bike in the back of a mini + riding kit for two people, and two people (including myself) in my mini if I take both wheels off.

In short – it’s easily possible.

oink1
    Free Member

I have yet to try it but this thread gives me hope! 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think I know this…is the answer ‘Across the Severn Bridge’?

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Mini is not a good choice as an MTBers car IMO. Also as a fully sighed up grumpy old g.t who had a real Mini they are also not a patch on the original 😐

If you insisting on getting one just put the bike on a rack on the roof or fit a towbar carrier

LAT

as a fully signed up grumpy… they are also not a patch on the original

Until you want to access the boot through the rear hatch and regularly pass MOTs, or you until you are involved in an accident.

The original mini was groundbreaking, but like most old cars they are slow, uncomfortable, unreliable and generally not as good as modern cars.

I too am a bit grumpy…

taking both wheels off, it’s to much of a kerfuffle…..

It would be a lot less kerfuffle with both wheels off, I’d have thought.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I managed to get my CX bike in my Smart Fortwo, I wouldn’t like to drive very far with it in there though. 😕

nathb
    Free Member

I had a brand new 2 door mini one as a courtesy car back in April.

I could get my road bike in but had to remove both wheels, seatpost and wrap it in an old bedsheet (not my car) – so far from ideal!

They gave me the manliest of colours too:

🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

taking both wheels off, it’s to much of a kerfuffle…..

but you want to

Can you get a bike in the back of a mini?

sounds like even if you can it’s one of those nice delicate threading exercises where the mech pedals and chain rings make grabbing moves for any clean interior of soft fabric

flashes
    Free Member

Right, I may take the Krampus to the Mini dealer to see if I can get it in the back of one of the estate versions (although they may be a bit more than I wanted to spend. Otherwise I may need to go sensible and go for a Nissan Note or poss go mad and get a VW Passat estate….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wrap it in an old sheet or something first in case you clip the interior

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Take a hex key with you to the dealer, it could make all the difference by loosening the stem-steerer bolts and spinning the bars in-line with the top tube. 😉

lunge

I can get an XL road bike on the back of a tiny Nissan Micra, I’m sure you can get an MTB in the back of a mini. You may need to remove both wheels but that’s hardy the end of the world.

In fact, with practise you can get 3 road bikes in a Micra, it’s tight and sheets stop the rubbing each other, but they do fit.

zippykona

If you are car shopping this might help. Please keep it updated people!
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-bike-in-my-car

rickmeister

You could get a tandem in a Smart car if you cut it into small enough pieces, so by the same principle, you should be fine…

Sorry, this isn’t helping is it?
    IGMC

flashes
    Free Member

Cheers Zippykona. I loved the van pics………

mindmap3
    Free Member

We bought a MINI Cooper this year (current model) – I needed to take both wheels off to get my Switchback (18 long) in the back and even then it was a squeeze (my previous Switchback which was shorter fitted in easier).

My Fiesta was no better.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Can you get a bike in the back of a mini?’ is closed to new replies.