Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can you burn oak worktop off cuts?
  • austin
    Free Member

We’ve got some off cuts from an oak worktop we’ve just had fitted. It’s solid wood but made of staves glued together and I’ve noticed small amounts of filler too. Would it be safe to burn in a multifuel burner?

geoffj

Yes – I’d put it on once it’s up to temperature though so all the nasties from the glue and filler burn off quickly.

Stoner
    Free Member

yeah. there’s not that much glue in them.

I burn everything in my log burner, painted, creosoted, tanalised. Never had any problems yet.
    If you’re worried about it, just chuck a bit on at a time when the fires good and hot, don’t use it for lighting when the fumes might come back in the room.

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

the bit of glue burning will do significantly less environmental damage than popping down the shops in a car !!

austin
    Free Member

Great, thanks all.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Easy tiger, how big are the off cuts?

They can make great chopping boards and side tables amongst other things

maccruiskeen

there won’t be much nasty in the worktops – as there’ll be very little glue. Its worth noting if you are being a bit carefree with what you chuck in wood burners don’t be too presumptuous about everything nasty goes up the chimney- the nastier elements in treated timber will in fact be amongst the ash

nickhart
    Free Member

like funky monkey says wo there tiger, how big are the pieces? they could well be made into something smashing for the new kitchen or sent to me and i’ll make something smashing for mine!
    this was made from a length of wood (straight one by three) a friend gave me.

peterfile
    Free Member

that would look awesome in my wood burner, nick!

🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

If it’ll burn, burn it!!

…the nastier elements in treated timber will in fact be amongst the ash

I’d never thought of that, I assumed it all went up the chimney and blew away.
    Is there any genuine, as against theoretical, risk from cleaning out my ash pan ?

zokes
    Free Member

Is there any genuine, as against theoretical, risk from cleaning out my ash pan ?

Depending on how silicaceous the ash, it can be asbestos-like if you inhale it for ever more

If you burn CCA-treated wood, then it’s likely that all the chromium and copper will still be in the ash – if the stove got hot enough then the arsenic will have volatilised off. Either way, inhaling Cu or Cr probably won’t do you much good long-term

However, all this stuff is chronic, rather than acute, so if it does finish you off, it’ll be in a good few years time with many other causes probable 😀

catfood
    Free Member

If big enough they can make good chopping boards.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Tanalised timber no longer contains arsenic.

footflaps

I burn everything in my log burner, painted, creosoted, tanalised. Never had any problems yet.

Same here with my coal fire – if it burns, it goes in…

alpin
    Free Member

hmmm… in my experience oak doesn’t burn all that well and is to a degree fire retardant. as said, if you do want to burn it then chuck in small bits when the fire is already roaring.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can you burn oak worktop off cuts?’ is closed to new replies.