Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Can unaccompanied 16 year olds go to a pub for a meal?
  • MoreCashThanDash

As per title really. MCJnr and some of his school friends want to go out for a meal to celebrate finishing their GCSEs next week. Options they can walk to from school are McDonald’s or Wetherspoons, so they are looking at the latter.

I know the pub may have its own policy but it just occurred to me whether they might be refused. Google suggests under 16s must be accompanied by an over 18, but they will be 16 (give or take a week or two) even if they still in uniform.

Drac

Well I’d hope so my 12 year old often does.

The uniform part might be an issue though.

wwaswas

Also: Will a pub want a group of over excited 16 year olds in school uniform sat in it eating a meal?

orangespyderman

they will be 16 (give or take a week or two) even if they still in uniform

I think I would have been expelled from my school for going to a pub in uniform.

IHN

We once (in sixth form) went to the pub for lunch to celebrate the end of term. About ten minutes later a group of teachers arrived to do the same, saw us and walked out. I reckon they thought that admitting seeing us meant they’d have to do something about it, and it as the end of term so they couldn’t be bothered with the hassle 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

I think I would have been expelled from my school for going to a pub in uniform.

…unless I stood a round for the teachers.

zilog6128

this

DezB
    Free Member

Purely depends on the pub.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Google suggests under 16s must be accompanied by an over 18, but they will be 16 (give or take a week or two) even if they still in uniform.

So, that means she can then.

Whether ‘Spoons will let them in and order something is entirely down to the landlord/bar staff.

They ultimately have the finger wag in this instance..

👍👎👉👈

DezB
    Free Member

I think I would have been expelled from my school for going to a pub in uniform

Not sure that’s relevant if they’re going to celebrate finishing their GCSEs, ie. the end of school…

zilog6128

Not have sixth form when you were a lad Dez? Straight from GCSEs to working down pit? 😂

taxi25
    Free Member

16 yr olds can certainly go into a pub unaccompanied for food. They can also drink alcohol with it but can’t buy it themselves, they’d need an adult to get the round in 👍

Harry_the_Spider

I think they can go in, but won’t serve them at bar. Which kind of defeats the object of going in.

A few years back I was in a ‘spoons (spits on the floor at the mere mention now) and they wouldn’t allow my lad to to help me carry the drinks back.

zilog6128

16 yr olds can certainly go into a pub unaccompanied for food. They can also drink alcohol with it but can’t buy it themselves, they’d need an adult to get the round in

as anybody who’s seen the Inbetweeners would know!!

IHN

A few years back I was in a ‘spoons (spits on the floor at the mere mention now) and they wouldn’t allow my lad to to help me carry the drinks back.

This is less to do with the law, more to do with being a jobsworth.

lucky7500

Also depends on the time of day and day of the week I suspect.
    One of the Wetherspoons in Edinburgh checks id on entry. Under 18 doesn’t get inside.
    Assuming this isn’t a ruse to try to get served in a pub, couldn’t they get a bus / lift somewhere decent instead.

We once (in sixth form) went to the pub for lunch to celebrate the end of term. About ten minutes later a group of teachers arrived to do the same, saw us and walked out

Used to drink in a couple of pubs in sixth form blazer and tie. There would often be teachers in there and some times they would join us for a pint (and blag rollies from the smokers as well).

Times have changed since then

Harry_the_Spider

This is less to do with the law, more to do with being a jobsworth.

Could be. It was Minehead and it was ****ing terrible.

However, back to the OP, if I was having a quiet lunchtime pint I’d be less than thrilled if a load of school kids showed up.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Iirc, and its a long time since I did my NLC (sufficient it hasn’t existed for a long while) under 18s are not allowed in or at the bar, accompanied or otherwise regardless of what they’re trying to buy.

Strict interpretation being they’re not allowed in the tap room but should be fine in the lounge.
    In practice spoons by app will probably be fine but entirely up to the licensee, they shouldn’t be approaching the bar.

taxi25
    Free Member

Good call Zilog 😁

NewRetroTom

One of the Wetherspoons in Edinburgh checks id on entry. Under 18 doesn’t get inside.

That happened to my (now) wife at the Standing Order when she was about 25 and all our friends had already gone in. She didn’t have any proof of age on her and there was no way they were letting her in. She was very annoyed indeed and has refused to go into any Wetherspoons ever since!

Drac

If I was having a quiet lunchtime time pint and a load of school kids turned up for a meal I’d not give a shit as it’s a pub that serves food and they want to enjoy themselves after sitting their exams. My eldest is off to a festival as soon as she’s finished on Friday, I hope there’s no miserable gits there that don’t like kids having fun.

taxi25
    Free Member

It must have been a while ago you did your NLC DB. But whatever the law pubs can refuse to serve whoever they want.

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2013/09/18/Underage-children-pubs

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It must have been a while ago you did your NLC DB

It was replaced by personal licence about 6 months later I think. Having it added an extra £4ph ish to my rate though which, as a student, was a welcome addition.

It’s depressing to think it’s now over half my life ago

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for the answers.

We used to go to the pub as 6th Formers and buy alcohol once we were 18. The teachers hated it.

I’m quietly impressed that half a dozen 16 year olds want celebrate the end of school starting with a meal, rather than necking WKD in the park.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Daughters been doing it since she was 15, started with the odd breakfast. They eat out regular now (she’s 17) in some reet nice places, but that’s probably because she’s only paying for one meal and a water as opposed to 4 **** with everyone having a pudding too!

martinhutch

I’ve just been told that my lass (16) has been heading for ‘spoons between exams for chips and a coke. So yes, apparently. No signs of supporting Brexit yet, thankfully.

the-muffin-man

My 16yr old daughter and her mates go to Spoons as well. This daytime though – doubt they’d let them in in an evening.

revs1972
    Free Member

Used to drink in a couple of pubs in sixth form blazer and tie. There would often be teachers in there and some times they would join us for a pint (and blag rollies from the smokers as well).

Times have changed since then

At 16 we were drinking in a bar attached to the local cricket club, when the lab assistant from school walked in. We thought he would rumble us, but instead joined us for a pint and a smoke.

rOcKeTdOg

How about instead of asking on here one of the 16 year olds picks up the phone and call the pub manager and asks if it would be ok for them to visit. Archaic I know to actually speak to another human rather than rely on electronic communications but it’d be a good life skill. Probably one that isn’t in an examination at school either.
    That way it’d be yes or no and if yes if anyone kicks up a fuss they have the managers blessing to fall back on.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Can unaccompanied 16 year olds go to a pub for a meal?’ is closed to new replies.