Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Can i run 10speed on my 9speed r.mech and just get new shifters,cassette & chain
  • haggis1978

i know that this was the case with 8/9 speed when it first came out just wanting to check its the same this time around. I know i run the risk of being called a tight git here but i dont really like the look of the new 10 speed rear mechs 😆 Thanks

TimothyD
    Free Member

You might have to check the cable pulled for each click is the same? After campag changed thier cable pull around 2000 though, pre and post change parts were found to work together okay by some folk.

No idea myself though, maybe have a search..?

clubber
    Free Member

unfortunately not. 10 speed mtb requires a matching 10 speed mtb mech to match the cable pull.

AngusWells

Surely it’s the shifters that control the amount of cable pull and not the mech? If older mechs don’t work with 10 speed shifters (and I can’t say if they do or not) it will be the mechs capacity that is the problem.

clubber
    Free Member

nope. the new rear mechanical have different geometry so need different cable pull. stock an old rear mechanical with a 10 speed shifter and it won’t match the cassette spacing as it moves.

martymac

its not the capacity thats the problem, an old 8 speed mech would work if used with a friction shifter because the 10 spd cassette is the same width.
    its the ratio between cable pull/amount of sideways movement of the mech that matters.

EDIT:- i havent tried it though.
    if you are going to upgrade it anyway you have nothing to lose really, you can always buy the mech later if the old one doesnt work.

PaulD
    Free Member

I think you can do it with a Shimano road flat-bar rear 10-sp shifter, new cassette and 10-sp chain.
    Front should be OK with possible minor adjustment to limits as chain is thinner externally (not internally on the sprockets tho’).
    If you have a SRAM mech, all bets are off.

PaulD

clubber
    Free Member

yes that’s correct pauld

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Can i run 10speed on my 9speed r.mech and just get new shifters,cassette & chain’ is closed to new replies.