Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • can i change JUST the blade part of a shimano brake lever?
  • lyons
    Free Member

As above, after 10 years of cycling, and never bending a sinlge brake lever, ive managed to bend 2 within a month. I cant see an obvious way to take the blade off, and i really dont want to have to change the whole lever… Its an older style m765 lever…

Cheers, Andy

lyons
    Free Member

i just dont really fancy bleeding the brakes… It seems really excessive to have to do that…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its the shitmano way

coatesy
    Free Member

Usually a little grub screw hidden away out of obvious sight holding the pivot pin in, undo it a touch, press the pin through and screw in the adjuster until the blade drops out.Put it in a vice and bend it back to shape, if you’re feeling really clever anneal it first to prevent it cracking(smear with soap, heat with a blowlamp until the soap turns black, bend it immediately, leave to cool).
    If you need new ones, Madison have them in stock, part no.8S5 9803 at £13.99 each, any LBS should be able to get you them but if you have trouble give me a call at Sunset 02920371321 and i’ll order them for you.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Contrary to Jeremy’s belief, you can buy new lever blades for shimano brakes.

lyons
    Free Member

Thankyou for the replies… I have bent one back into shape, but i didnt really fancy it going again when i’m in europe, so i think it’s best to buy a new one, and keep that as spare…

And coatsey, thanks for the help, i’ll call tomorow.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘can i change JUST the blade part of a shimano brake lever?’ is closed to new replies.