Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Can Creek Angleset – questions
  • hora
    Free Member

There isn’t one for a 1 1/8 is there? Due to the narrow nature of the headtube. Thats a fair assumption?

wwaswas

yes it’s a fair assumption.

warpcow
    Free Member

There were prototypes weren’t there? I seem to remember Dirt hounding them to put it into production.

There are other’s available though, just can’t remember them now.

hora
    Free Member

There are other’s available though, just can’t remember them now.

I thought that too (thought I was going mad) as I’m ‘sure’ a one-man band had pioneered the idea in the first place. Maybe its patent issues?

hora
    Free Member
    warpcow
    Free Member

From what I remember the home-brew type ones are much simpler than an Angleset. They rely entirely on lining up offset cups during fitting. I’m pretty sure Northwind has some sort.

There’s an Israeli guy on mtbr who does custom ones. Can’t remember his name though.

sambob
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog has a custom headset on his RC405, which i’m certain isn’t a 1.5 headtube. He’ll probably be along at some point today to point you in the right direction though.

slowrider
    Free Member

the cane creek is adjustable and as such can be used in any length of headtube provided you get the right cups. 1 1/8th is due shortly apparently.

the works components one is simpler in that its a fixed angle and you need to pick the right one for your headtube length. they do have a 1 1/8th though, plus many others. whats great with works is that they will make you one to fit if they dont already offer it, brilliant!

kev at steamer industries is working on one too, aiming for a price point of 70 euros. he’s a great bloke too (he of offset bushing fame)

Rickos
    Free Member

Cane Creek are in the process of making theirs – they just want them to look pretty. Check out this months Dirt mag and see the Cane Creek write up.

However, as said above, Works Components do them as does the chap that posts on MTBR. I think he’s called Saarn or something like that. However, the Cane Creek method of popping the cups in needs no special lining up, whereas I believe the others do. How exact it needs to be though, I wouldn’t know.

hora
    Free Member

Looking at http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/new—10-degree-ec34—traditional-1-18-fitment-6-p.asp

I need a set 3 as my headtube is 4.3″ (109.22). Thats right and should give me an extra degree of slack?

GW
    Free Member

Rickos – the CK Angleset top cup still needs lining up.
    I’d avoid the stupidly expensive CK Angleset with it’s stupid gimble arrangement. – it’s a solution to a non existant problem
    Works Components cups are far simpler and trouble free, available for most headtube configurations and if not as stated above they will make you custom cups for the same price as their off the shelf ones.

Rickos
    Free Member

GW – aye, my mistake. I thought the gimbles did it all for you, but the top cup does indeed need lining up as well as you can.

hora
    Free Member

Ordered from Works and a super-quick reply. Wow 8)

JPcapel
    Free Member

http://www.ofanaim.net/has.html

Here is the link for the Israeli guy – Saar.
    He was great to deal with. Headset arrived within 5 days. Cost $200, which by exchange was about £125.
    LBS said bearings are normal size so in event they wear out/are crap can replace with Hope or similar. Have been running it for 3months now, did a hard day at Forest of Dean and it working perfectly still.
    Does require you to line up the headset cups correctly and to provide your head tube length. Knocked 1.5degree off a 2009 turner dw 5 spot.

crankrider
    Free Member

Here is the link for the Israeli guy – Saar.
    He was great to deal with. Headset arrived within 5 days. Cost $200, which by exchange was about £125.

£125 plus the chance of getting stung by customs? I think ill stick to the Works one and pocket the £50.00 difference to be honest – Plus the works one has its own bearing cover not a generic is one.

richwales

Going to install a Works Components on my 5 spot – HIJACK sorry – How was the slacker 5 Spot JP Capel – improvement?

Northwind

Go direct to Works, have to admit it drives me mental the attention the Angleset’s had considering it’s just a less good way to make something you can already buy for enormously less money.

Only advantage is that you’re more likely to transfer it into another bike. How likely is that though? And you’d need to do it 3 times to make it cheaper than just buying more Works kits.

I think they can also do one-offs or short runs, they’ve offered to do me one for a C456 which isn’t a size in their listing.

hora
    Free Member

Then swap/sell with other owners as it takes off? Thing is you are essentially sorting out an issue on a frame you like rather spending 000 on a new frame. I see it that way.

The price of 179 for a Cane Creek headset is appalling.

BadlyWiredDog

BadlyWiredDog has a custom headset on his RC405, which i’m certain isn’t a 1.5 headtube. He’ll probably be along at some point today to point you in the right direction though.

It’s one of Saar’s, a -2? in a zero stack head tube, ID of 44mm. I have a Works one in a different frame too with a 1 1/8 standard head tube. Both spot on, slightly fiddly to instally, but Saar reckons there’s a 2mm alignment tolerance between top and bottom caps. It’s not that hard to line them up pretty closely.

Got the Saar set for the Pace because there wasn’t a Works Components option for 44mm when I ordered. Also Saar with do a zero stack lower cup, whereas works, I think, do it external, which raises the front slightly. I actually wanted to keep it low so I could run a fork with a slightly longer AC meassurement.

Brilliant things. Slackens the front, steepens the seat-tube angle correspondingly, so the bike still climbs properly.

Radioman

Just as an observation . I hear a number of people are having “loose headset issues” with the cane creek angleset. Maybe worth checking a few owners reviews before buying. From my experience the more non fixed washer spacers between headset and stem the more easily the stem loosens. I now use a single spacer between headset and stem.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Can Creek Angleset – questions’ is closed to new replies.