Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Camping on the Isle of mull?
  • h4muf
    Free Member

Going there later this month,trusty old T5 (obviously)
    Any tips etc? Midges,trips out, bike hire, watersports?
    Cheers.

robola

I take it you didn’t read this thread… singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/campervan-overnighting-spots-loch-lomond-balloch-ish/page/2/#post-11985377

brads
    Free Member

My son and daughter-in-law arrived there tonight and got the last pitch anywhere.
    Said the place is rammed with vans

dovebiker

I live here, hope you’ve got your ferry booked if coming from Oban? Everywhere is busy, boat trips, best restaurants are booked-up.
    We’ve had some great weather for the last 5 weeks, so midges haven’t really been a problems but the clegs are out in force.
    There is only one bike hire place on the island – Cycle Mull at Salen, with MTBs and e-bikes.
    The best campsite on the island is Fidden Farm at Fionnphort, particularly for watersports but not sure if they are fully-open i.e. no toilets or showers. Sites at Tobermory and Pennygowan are open with facilities.

ransos
    Free Member

My son and daughter-in-law arrived there tonight and got the last pitch anywhere.
    Said the place is rammed with vans

I was there last week and it seemed to very much be not rammed. Vans and tents dotted around the various shores but well spread apart. I guess that if you want a pitch in a formal campsite then it’s more difficult.

dyna-ti

Dont know about mull, but there was a recent article about midges in the highlands and from the vid we are talking biblical Egyptian plague of locusts level of midge infestation.

I’m sure theres a ‘Midge Watch’ website somewhere….hold on…googles..
    Here we go 😀
    Mull looks pretty clear, but I’d bring a midge head net just to be safe
    https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

dovebiker

I agree, it’s busier than normal but not rammed – took my camper out for a drive yesterday to a relatively secluded spot and didn’t see another van all afternoon – maybe all the builders and plumbers had headed somewhere else? 😉

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We were there last week. Never been before but seemed busy to me. We stayed on the Salen Bay campsite, facilities were all open but with restrictions, you could only use the shower/toilet block with your family or on your own, no mixing of bubbles. They have canoes and paddle boards for hire and are just along from the bike hire place. I imagine they’re fully booked, about half the site had camper vans. The Spar in Salen is pretty well stocked but often had queues as did the Co-Op in Tobermory. We managed to book the aquarium easily enough and a boat trip to Staffa with Staffa Trips just a couple of days in advance. We had an excellent curry at the Cheese Barn on Thursday night, booked that a few weeks ago as they only do it once a week. Unfortunately the normal cafe wasn’t open when we went at the weekend, neither was the little cafe in Tobermory which was odd as they were open the previous Saturday. The beaches weren’t too busy if you could get parked, went paddle boarding at Calgary, Croig and Lochbuie. I think Croig was my favourite, the beach is about a 15 minute walk away. Isleofmullcottages.com has a good guide to the best beaches etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Camping on the Isle of mull?’ is closed to new replies.