Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Camping in the UK over Easter with a 9 month old baby – Daft Idea?
  • danandem
    Free Member

As above – any advice?

Cheers
    Dan

ddmonkey

Yes, daft idea.

carlphillips
    Free Member

its certainly not daft, ive been taking mine since they were babies too, the youngest kips in a travel cot off the floor and almost always sleeps better than at home!! (shouldn't of said that as we are off easter weekend too!!)
    just go and see how things pan out, mine love camping!!

jam-bo

depends. could be glorious, could be vile.

maxsatnav
    Free Member

"camping" daft idea full stop 😆

ddmonkey

Actually thinking about it it depends on the baby, the weather, the tent and most of all the parents attitude. Only you can know! 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

sounds like a lovely idea to me.. plenty of people live in tents all year round.. plenty of babies at festies and our house was definitely colder inside than it was outside this winter and our little boy was fine with an extra blanket…

yunki
    Free Member

wierd double post

Nick

go for it

slimraybob
    Free Member

We did it with our little girl at 9 months, it was great, just stick an extra layer on maybe a waterproof suit, they'll soon let you know if they are cold. At night we put her in a growbag and normal sleepsuit thing but had a blanket just in case(actually had a few but didn't need extra) again she slept great. As ddmonkey said alot is down to your attitude. Have fun

iDave
    Free Member

i wondered whether you were asking due to the effect a screaming child would have on other campers, but it seems not

a baby is perfectly fine in most situations

SaxonRider

Most definitely NOT daft. I've got more than the average number of kids, and have camped with all of them from as young as 3 months. In fact, it is the only way we can afford to travel, and have dragged them all over Europe that way. Never had a problem.

Maybe take a folding cot with you, but otherwise, enjoy.

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

Our Chloe was 8 weeks old when we went camping, Rowan was 2 1/2. Hard work? Yes. Do it again? Most definately. Just don't forget the coffee in the morning and the wine in the evening for when the kids are down and asleep. We survived the worst of the weather that Dumfries and Galloway could offer (neighbouring tent got blown into nearby barbed wire fence). Go for it!! 🙂

danandem
    Free Member

Cheers for all the good ideas – think we'll give it a go! 😀

fubar
    Free Member

I didn't feel the need to wake an entire campsite up at 2, 3 and 4am with ours.

takisawa2

We camped with our youngest at Easter, when he was 5 months. We used a hook-up cable & a small fan heater on low to keep the chill off. He slept in a Samsonite pop-up travel cot. Little-Trekkers sell all-in-one fleece suits that are great for little ones. I remember him crawling around in a water-proof suit, totally oblivious to wet grass. He loved it. Camping is ace with kids.

stumpy01

If you are talking about over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend, just make sure you get a move on with booking a pitch.

When I first started camping a few yrs ago I coulnd't quite believe how difficult it sometimes was to find a campsite with vacancies – particularly on bank holiday weekends.

Apart from that, go for it. It's cheap enough that you can probably get away with just not bothering if it looks like the weather is going to be total cak all weekend.

danridesbikes
    Free Member

the wolves will feast

simonm
    Free Member

Timely thread, we are just debating this very subject. We were supposed to be going away in our campervan, which basically has a tent on top where our 14 month old would sleep… and we have elecy radiator.. we almost decided it would be too cold until seeing this thread… think we were just being nesh !

simonm
    Free Member

Took the temp in the campervan tonight…8 degrees with heating on.. too cold for young uns ?

grantway
    Free Member

Mad go for a Travel Lodge or a quality B&B

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I'd go for a nice cottage. Trudging across a field at 3:00am for a pi$$ is bad enough, but getting up with kids at daybreak because a blackout blind hasn't been invented for a tent has got to be beyond awful.

Good luck

Rivett
    Free Member

Not a mad idea. We started our nipper young. Just keep an eye on the temperature. Travel cot idea works well if your tent is big enough.

el_boufador

Our little uns absolutely LOVE camping, as do I. Been taking the youngest since 2 months old (eldedst since he was ~ 8 months).

Eldest is now 3 1/2 and he often constructs a "camp site" in his bedroom 🙂 🙂 🙂

Just make sure you don't take too much of a risk if the weather is looking poor (it is supposed to be fun after all, rather than too much of an endurance/survival feat).
    Also consider an all-in-one waterproof suit for the little-un if they're crawling, as it can become quickly tiring to try to keep a rug rat clean / dry.

I presume there are 2 of you? Get ready for a lot of work, as one of you will have to keep the nipper away from hot/wet/dirty things while the other does all the camp faffing. (At 9 months IMO 1 person is not enough to cope with all the work)

Fun though!!!!!

simonm
    Free Member

I'm in a Bongo camper..on board toilet, water, heating, blackout blinds, TV, fridge etc 😉

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

have fun Si! 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Camping in the UK over Easter with a 9 month old baby – Daft Idea?’ is closed to new replies.