Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Camper Van choices – help me out!
  • steveh

@zilog6128 no his job is to be a mechanic at a Ford dealership, servicing, repairs etc. The euro 6 engine is so problematic that all he does is change engines. It’s not about numbers of vans as numbers haven’t changed much in terms of vans sold but they have in terms of vans needing new engines.

Jordan

That photo of the narrow Cornish lane reminds me of our trip to Cornwall a couple of years ago. Our van is a Citroen Relay van conversion so not overwide but we headed off down a simillar lane and had to listen to the awful sound of branches scraping the sides of the van for two miles. Turning back or reversing was not an option.

jam-bo

Turning back or reversing was not an option.

said every Cornish tourist ever…

iamtheresurrection

I hired one about four years ago, a Cali, and hated it. Too small, too compromised, too expensive. Despite that, I coveted one every year since for reasons I can’t really explain.

This year I bought a converted T6. We’ve only been away in it a handful of times so far: I’m working Saturdays this year, and the kids have to be back at school on a Monday – opportunities to get away have been limited. We’ve wild camped and overnighted on a site in equal measure so far – but partly because the sites are so hard to get booked on this year if you don’t/can’t plan ahead. The kids (8 and 11) love it and I’m learning to deal with claustrophobia…

I underestimated how much it would add value as day van. Get back from a ride or walk in the hills, stick a coffee on, somewhere to get changed and eat some lunch or dinner before heading home; or heading to the coast for fish and chips in the rain with somewhere to sit/read/play cards/whatever. I’m liking it a lot for that kind of thing and it’s definitely extended days out in a way a car doesn’t.

The other van I looked at was a larger, Ducato based, 4 berth panel van. It had the huge advantage of a toilet on board (and a crappy shower) and room to stand without popping the roof. I haven’t ruled one out in the future but I’m not sure I’d use a larger panel van for a day trip without an overnight, bit too big, too thirsty and not as easy to find somewhere to park.

I just need to learn to live with the rattles, squeaks and creaks. They make me want to set it on fire.

Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Camper Van choices – help me out!’ is closed to new replies.