Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cameras – for commuting use
  • lllnorrislll
    Free Member

For about 8 years, I have avoided them, happy to go on my way and shrugged off close passes (I may have shouted the odd oiiiii!) As no harm done.

However, I am now sat at home in pain, after only covering 1 mile of my usual route, after a BMW X5 pulled out on me on a roundabout from my left. Instinctively grabbed the breaks, avoided the side of the car by an inch, but couldn’t keep the bike up and dropped it, sliding 6ft and using my back to stop myself, as I hit the concrete curb.

BMW f***** off, was checked on by the car behind and was watched as I got to my feet by a car in the opposite direction, so some decency shown.

Now considering cameras ( yes too late for today), after suddenly feeling very vulnerable.
    I want something discreet and easily removable and was wondering what the current vogue is?

thepurist

Depends how much faff you want with erasing cards. If you want fit and forget (ie rolling overwrite of the card) then the Fly12 seems to be the best option, or at least it was for me after I got side swiped (but somehow stayed upright) last year. I’mssure others will be along with recommendations if you want to manage/swap the card daily.

lllnorrislll
    Free Member

I cycle 6 days a week, swapping use between my commuting hybrid and my two road bikes. So as little faff as possible is my prefence.

Ill have a look at the cycliq fly.

Thank you

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Assuming I would not end up hurt more badly I would seriously consider hitting the car in this situation. No contact, not interested is too often the attitude from the police.

lllnorrislll
    Free Member

Alexnharvey – that’s exactly what the wife said. The back pain is likely to keep me off the bike for a week (so on the bus), as I have a torn jacket, mashed pedal and handle bar grip, it’s going to cost.

At least hitting her, I would have had someone to push the bill too.

Police does seem pointless as I have no evidence or reg. Hence the sudden camera want.

But hey ho, the survival instinct kicks in and grabbing the breaks seemed to be the natural thing to do!

LeeW

I’ve got the original fly12, seems ok when I’ve used it but I don’t use it any more. £75 posted if you want it?

alexnharvey
    Free Member

I know, no critique intended. Been there and over the bars to avoid t-boning a twit who decided they could turn across me coming down a hill at speed. They did at least pay for a shirt and new helmet but the police said there hasn’t been an accident!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

If still report it. Been told when reporting a break in to my car before, the chances of them finding out who it is our getting stuff back was very slim, but adding to a tally incidents in an area raises the profile of that crime or area. That might raise its profile and serve you better in the end.
    Also, for me at least, if I’ve done my bit (reported it) I’m much happier to moan about nothing happening. Don’t report it, then don’t expect anything to change. It only takes a few minutes on the phone after all…

DezB
    Free Member

Take that Fly off LeeW OP. They’re good but hugely overpriced at rrp.
    I’ve been through a fair few cams over the years and the £30 ebay jobs are just as good as any. Phone app is a bonus, but not essential (had that with a nice Shimano cam, whose battery gave up). Best battery life was with a cheap bullet cam off ebay.

TiRed

Had a fly 12 that was great when it worked. But it seems borked and has done for a while. The rear ones which were their original product were more stable and a lot less sophisticated. They are also good lights. The 12 is about the same as a mk6-7 Joystick (400 lumens) and a bit of a lump on the bars. I used a k edge combo mount and then an exposure go pro converter mount.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I had a Fly 12 and now have a Fly 12CE. It’s a much smaller and lighter unit with improved lumen outout. It’s switched on all the time I am on the bike. Not cheap but a great bit of kit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cameras – for commuting use’ is closed to new replies.