Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Camera shop peeve
  • DrJ

Why do camera shops always try to sell you stuff you don’t need? Classic case is “protection filters” – last time I bought a lens the guy behind the counter asked if I wanted one and looked like I’d pissed on his shoes when I said I didn’t. And the other day I was behind a couple who were buying a little camera – Sony RX100, about the size of a packet of cigarettes – and was then pushing them to buy an enormous strap at considerable expense (Black Rapid thing). Of course they want to maximise sales, but doesn’t good advice have a better long term benefit? No wonder the internet is so popular.

footflaps

Because they’re selling the camera at cost and if they only sell stuff at cost they’ll go bust….

project
    Free Member

Last time i bought a telephoto lens at jessops i asked for a free filter and they gave me one for free, always ask for freebies.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s never happened to me, but the last time I went into a camera shop was 1998. This applies to pretty much any shop.

footflaps

To stay in business shops try and match web prices on camera bodies, which means they make virtually no money at all on them, so the only way they survive is by selling more profitable accessories…..

d45yth
    Free Member

Last time i bought a telephoto lens at jessops i asked for a free filter and they gave me one for free,

Was your lens expensive? If so, why would you stick a cheap filter on it (it won’t have been a decent one if they gave you it)?

molgrips
    Free Member

Why do camera shops always try to sell you stuff you don’t need?

Duh, why do you think?

stumpy01

Pretty common practice and not only in camera shops. Buy a DVD player in Currys and they will try to sell you a £25 HDMI cable, laptop in PC World and sir will surely need a wi-fi printer, Back-up drive, new router??

Even shoe shops try to sell you £10 worth of cleaner, cloths & a shoe horn for some cheap £30 shoes…..

As Zammo liked to remind us, Just Say No!!

project
    Free Member

150 qiuid lens and descent uv filter, also whenever i buy anything over a 100quid i always ask for freebies, fridge got a fre extended waranty, bike quitye a lot of free bits, computer, shock pump , etc, van free service, delivered for free,full tank of diesel, ply lined and road tax and 32 weeks free insurance and discount off asking price

Just ask and tell them what you want to clinch the sale.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

When a major photo chain went down the pan several of their staff posted on forums. Many of the staff said management really pressurised them to sell memory cards and accessories to customers at massive markups compared to alternative suppliers. They also said they were encouraged to blatantly lie to customers about compatibility etc to force the sale.

It was not just a recent policy in my opinion as I used to stand in the queue at the same shops about 15-20 years ago, listening to the sales people telling blatant sales pitch rubbish to the less camera educated customers. I was relieved when a different brand of shop opened I could move to as a customer, as no internet shops back then.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Last time i bought a telephoto lens at jessops i asked for a free filter and they gave me one for free, always ask for freebies.

So it was your fault they went bust then?

project
    Free Member

Probably not a few quid to them for a lens filter got them a decent sale.

ANyway Jessops is back , opening in quite a few cities as we speak.

johndoh
    Free Member

Fascinating OP.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Camera shop peeve’ is closed to new replies.