Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Worth the £170?
  • stimpy
    Free Member

Views please:

Looking to get the Canyon hardtail alu 29er. But the question is, is the Grand Canyon AL 8.9 worth the extra 170 notes over the AL 7.9?

Specs are here (7.9) and here (8.9).

Main differences seem to me to be:

1) SLX/XT shifter/derailleur (7.9) versus SRAM X9 on the 8.9. I’ve had SRAM x7 before – how do the SLX/XT combo stack up?

2) Fox 32 Float CTD (on the 7.9) versus RS SID 29 RL on the 8.9

Not much between the elixir 3s and 5s I reckon and nothing in delivery times for my size/colour choice.

What are your views? Splash the £170 for the SIDs and X9 or bank the £170 and go with Fox/SLX/XT?

Cheers

rickon
    Free Member

SLX and XT is better than X9 IME.

SIDs and Fox are horses for courses really. I’ve had both, and both are nice. Not really much in it, weight I suppose….

Go with what you think looks nicer 😉 And I think the 5s are more reliable than the 3s, from what I remember reading on the forums.

stimpy
    Free Member

Thanks Rickon. Anyone else? SIDs vs Fox Float? SRAM X9 vs SLX/XT?

ojom
    Free Member

Go with Shimano whenever presented with the option.

takisawa2

Fox & SLX would be my choice.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

What he said ^^^^

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Shimano and SID but that’s not an option. 🙁

timraven

Fox & SLX would be my choice.

+1

stimpy
    Free Member

Cheers guys – looks like a green light for the Fox & SLX 7.9 then. Had to ask as I’ve only had SRAM & RS stuff before.

Reckon some of that saved cash on changing the chainrings from 36/22 to 38/24…

composite
    Free Member

7.9 🙂

monkeyboyjc

I have last years 8.9 – but,compareing the 2013 spec,i’d go for the 7.9.

in fact i asked the exact same question over last years bikes link

martymac

+1 fox and slx.

somafunk

From a bike shop mechanic perspective i’d go for shimano/fox every day of the week, but please remember and look after your forks, get them serviced regularly or learn how to drop the lowers yourself, it only takes 20mins if the forks are removed to drop the lowers and pop the seals out, re-lube the foam rings,change the oil etc.

hazza123
    Free Member

Get the model with the fox forks and slx/xt kit, sell the brakes and but some decent ones with the £170?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

X9 = XT IME… and a lot nicer than SLX (having tried both in the last few months)
    Also X9 is a decent way above X7.
    Seems strange as everyone local here drops the Shimano drive train asap (there are boxes of it stripped off bikes out here) and puts SRAM on

deserter
    Free Member

I’d get the 8.9, I prefer the colour

kevin1911

What hazza says

monkeyboyjc

hazza123 – Member

Get the model with the fox forks and slx/xt kit, sell the brakes and but some decent ones with the £170?

you wouldnt get £170 – more like £130, but you could still get a new set of SLX for that from bike-discount.de

Pridds

Or a set of xt’s for £133 from rosé bikes

hazza123
    Free Member

Monkeyboy – The £170 would be money he saved on not buying the other model, nevermind selling the brakes. Selling the brakes would be an added bonus but new ones will be a must.,

gmex619
    Free Member

Id be tempted by the x9 and sid. Though I would immediately sell the sid and buy fox. But I dont enjoy rockshox and detest shimano gearing.

cookeaa

Shimano and SID but that’s not an option.

I’d want the RS fork with shimano drive too.

But given the choices on the table I’d save the £170 have reliable drive a parts and look after those forks…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Worth the £170?’ is closed to new replies.