Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Camera question
  • flashes
    Free Member

My Sony camera is on it’s last legs, so I’m thinking of replacing it.

I’m thinking of Panasonic Lumix cameras, but am not sure whether to go for something like the TZ10 or go mad and save up for the GF1.

I do take alot of pics mainly landscapes but like the thought of small. Anyone got one / tried one?

I don’t do vids and want something that won’t be obsolete in a week or so.

Cheers

Zedsdead
    Free Member

If you don’t do vids and take a lot of photos then invest in an SLR.

One of the best things I ever bought.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The GF1 is a good compromise between a compact and dslr. The Sony NEX and Olympus e-p1 are worth a look too. Camera Price Busters is pretty good for finding deals.

j_me
    Free Member

Good deals on the GF1 ATM c£400 for camera with 14-45 lens.

Raindog
    Free Member

GF1’s are very highly rated, a number of people on talkphotography ditched their DSLR’s and bought them for the convenience. They come up for sale second hand from time to time on there too, and with the GF2 being released they can only get cheaper.

Dudie
    Free Member

I got a GF1 and 14-45mm a few months back – mainly for taking landscapes when up in the Welsh hills. It is a remarkable little camera – can’t fault it. Haven’t touched my DSLRs since buying it.

flashes
    Free Member

Does it do panorama shots?

Dudie
    Free Member

No panormas. I use free download ‘Autostitch’ to do those. You can select the aspect ratio of the photos from 4:3 (native), 3:2, 1:1 and 16:9

asmythe76
    Free Member

I’ve got a TZ10 and a Canon SLR with a good quality Sigma lens but I can honestly say the Lumix can take as good a photo as the Canon. You won’t get the control like an SLR but you’ll get HD video and face recognition.

glenh
    Free Member

The sony NEX does auto panoramas.

The GF1 is better if you want physical dials and buttons, but the NEX has a better sensor and thus better image quality (although for brightly light outside photography it probably won’t make much difference).

If size isn’t an issue, then a proper SLR will give you more for your money, but the new mirrorless system cameras like the GF1 and NEX will give you pretty much the same quality images, but with a few compromises for the much smaller size (eg. no viewfinder, slightly slower autofocus, shorter battery life).

grumm
    Free Member

GF1 is a very good deal at the moment – I was very happy with mine paying at least £150 more than they are now. The GF2 is out but doesn’t look like much of an upgrade really.

All of these were taken with the GF1 or G1 (which is pretty much the same thing).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18244158@N00/

flashes
    Free Member

nice pics, tempting……that or possibly the Sony NEX-5, which does panorama. I love desert shots, Mojave, Death Valley, Monument Valley, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

grumm
    Free Member

Ta! Panorama is easy enough to stitch with software on the ‘puter – though I can appreciate having the camera do it for you is a nice convenience.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Camera question’ is closed to new replies.