Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Calling ornithologists! What is this bird?
  • gozarch
    Free Member

Photo taken in the French Alps, in the Maurienne Valley, specifically.

Vulture, or something else?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Baby Robin

chorlton
    Free Member

Lammergeier?

chorlton
    Free Member

jimw
    Free Member

The tail shape doesn’t look quite right but the head would suggest Lammergeier

Edit:
    Looking again, the body isn’t the right colour, so more likely a Cinereous Vulture

bearnecessities
    Free Member

Something graceful, like a Pelican.

gozarch
    Free Member

Looking at some of the images on Google, if it is a Lammergeier, it’s no wonder they looked so chuffing big, even from a distance

chorlton
    Free Member

Never seen one. It’s the first thing that popped into my head.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Looks like a Griffon vulture to me. Didn’t know they go to France. Maybe it’s for the footie.

gozarch
    Free Member

Ooh, jimw, Cinereous Vulture looks like a good shout. Still not small! There were three or four knocking around during the week we were there. Awesome.

cbike
    Free Member

Good shot. And helps confirm I saw gandalf the escaped vulture from world of wings in the sound of jura on his way to Islay.

CountZero

The bare head and white ruff around the neck mark it as a ‘regular’ vulture, rather than a Lammergeier, although I’d be struggling to identify more clearly than that. I’d love to see the young Lammergeier that’s found its way over here, last seen heading for somewhere around Exmoor or Dartmoor.

captaindanger

It’s a griffon vulture, they were re-introduced into some areas of France around 30 years ago and have done very well, I haven’t seen them in the Alps before but have no doubt they are there. Amazing to see them. Lammergeiers would only be in very very remote areas

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

There was a Lammergeier in Wales then Cornwall a couple of weeks ago.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Surly faced shitehawk

unovolo
    Free Member

It’s a kestrel

mikey74
    Free Member

Surely you don’t need an ornithologist for that, you need air traffic control 😯

Seriously, my guess would have been a Griffon Vulture, as seen here:

nbt

Even before reading the description my immediate thought on seeing was Bearded Vulture, aka lammergeier. Saw them in the Aosta Valley when taking the bus back from La Thuile to Courmayeur. Huge is an understatement. And yes, as mentioned above one was recently seen around the Severn estuary in Wales, later heading down to Dartmoor.

Thanks for the correct Id from birders more knowledgeable than i 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like a lammergeir, does it?

gozarch
    Free Member

Will post a few (less detailed) pictures from other angles; they show the colours a bit better. I think probably not a lammergeier, although it kind of looks like both the other suggestions (not the baby robin or pelican). I’d love if there was an actual species called Surly-Faced Shitehawk, though

muttley109
    Free Member

Was it by itself or were there a few around? I saw griffon vultures in the Pyrenees a couple of weeks ago. They tend to hang around in groups of 10-12

gozarch
    Free Member

There were certainly three or four around at any one time.

MrTricky
    Free Member

Griffon Vultures. I camped at a campsite on the Spanish coast last summer, in the north east, and there were loads. Turned out they nested on the sea cliffs there. Awesome sight overhead, watched them for hours from the tent (no need for binoculars

nick1962
    Free Member

There was a Lammergeier in Wales then Cornwall a couple of weeks ago.

Getting in before the Brexit vote no doubt.
    They come over here taking our indigenous birds of prey’s jobs etc

Merak

Everyone knows its a pterodactyl.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Everyone knows its a pterodactyl.

Waaaaaaay too big 😉

Northwind

captaindanger – Member

Lammergeiers would only be in very very remote areas

There’s lammergeiers in the tarantaise valley, I saw one just down from tignes. Not exactly a metropolis but not very remote either (we were on the wonderbus but you could have seen it from the main road) Pretty cool, it basically broke my perception of scale, I couldn’t figure out how far away it was or how fast it was moving til I’d watched it for quite a while, my brain just rejected its size.

garage-dweller

Big and stunning bird that.
    I bow to the ornithological knowledge of those on here but despite finding virtually all nature incredible I never seem to retain anything useful about it in my head.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Calling ornithologists! What is this bird?’ is closed to new replies.