Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cadence sensors
  • bikemanspen
    Free Member

I understand they give you your rpm but would they tell me distance covered whilst on my turbo trainer also speed?

Cheers ben

benji
    Free Member

No, unless you rode a fixed wheel it would differ with every gear change.

Some cadence sensors do also do wheel speed, the ride sense from Giant that fits only giant frames does tis and the earlier garmin unit did as well. They do a rear wheel sensor, that just fits on the hub.

In fairness turbo miles is vastly different from real road miles in my opinion, this is where time and power really come in as at that point you are comparing eggs to eggs not eggs to giraffes.

ratherbeintobago

Depends on the sensor, but probably not, no. You need a wheel sensor for speed; what head unit are you planning to use it with?

bikemanspen
    Free Member

I’ve got a garmin 810 the cadence sensor is a polar wind!

ratherbeintobago

Not sure that will work – Garmins are ANT+ compatible; Polar are either their own proprietary wireless protocol or (for recent stuff) Bluetooth LE.

As Benji has said above, Garmin do their own separate wheel and cadence sensors.

bikemanspen
    Free Member

Thanks. So the one in the link above will give me a rough mileage?

ratherbeintobago

Yes, for use on the turbo you’ll have to tell the 810 what size wheel/tyre you’re running so it can calculate distance from wheel RPM.

carlos
    Free Member

You’ll be best of getting the genuine Garmin GCS10 speed/cadence sensor. (if that isn’t what the above link is) dead easy to set up and the batteries are changeable

My2p

Carlos

ratherbeintobago

You’ll be best of getting the genuine Garmin GCS10 speed/cadence sensor. (if that isn’t what the above link is) dead easy to set up and the batteries are changeable

It’s also no longer in production, and has been replaced by the one in the link.

carlos
    Free Member

It’s also no longer in production, and has been replaced by the one in the link.

Ah, didn’t realise that. It’s good to learn new stuff

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, one in the link is easier to fit and doesn’t need spoke magnets or owt. Better than the GSC-10 IMO. That one doesn’t do cadence though, so if you still want cadence you’ll need the matching sensor.

benji
    Free Member

You don’t need to tell it what size, it will calibrate if you ride it outside by using the GPS, just a few hundred yards up and down the street is usually enough, which is more accurate than wheel size as tyre manufacturers seem incapable of making the same size as each other.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Distance covered is 0 miles. Go outside and ride.

😛

Superficial
    Free Member

Big gear, small turbo resistance
    Small gear, big turbo resistance

Both can feel the same, and your power output may be identical, but with one you’re spinning the turbo twice as fast, going “twice as far”. Of course it means nothing. Knowing speed on the turbo is irrelevant, except for maintaining efforts – E.g. grit your teeth and keep (displayed) speed >40kph.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ant-speed-rate-sensor-cycle-computer-accessory-id_8181211.html

Does speed and cadence. I have three, one on each of my bikes, they have all worked perfectly with my Garmin 800 for over a year.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cadence sensors’ is closed to new replies.