Home Forums Chat Forum CAD – using a trackball instead of a mouse

• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by stim.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • CAD – using a trackball instead of a mouse
  • stim
    Free Member

Bit of a random one but thought I’d try…

I use 3D CAD (Creo) on a daily basis and get stiffness and pain in my wrist from using a standard 3 button mouse. I have tried an ergonomic Evoluent mouse (your hand sits on the side rather than on top) which was a bit better but I am not nearly as fast with this mouse. I’m looking at other options (Logitech Performance MX – a standard but sculptured mouse) but then came across the Logitech M570 trackball.

Does anyone know if this works well with Creo and whether not needing to move my hand will help with the wrist stiffness? Are trackballs as fast as a normal mouse when doing 3D work?

Thanks!

thepurist

Not with Creo, but for Vectorworks & Sketchup I went from mouse to logitech trackball to Intuos 4 pad. The trackball took a tiny bit of getting used to but was fine – slightly more relaxing to use than the mouse once I got the position sorted and just as fast. But the pad is a whole world better.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Can’t comment on specifics of CAD but I used to get a sore wrist when i was doing a lot of work in illustrator and solved it by adding a trackpad which I use as well as a mouse.

I use the trackpad for all scrolling, panning, zooming etc with my left hand and use the mouse with my right hand for finer detail stuff. Takes a bit of getting used to but spreading the load between two hands worked well for me.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m right-handed, but my right hand is knackered from an OTB incident a few years ago, so I use my mouse with my left hand, but struggle a bit with 3D CAD.
    So I’ve just picked a bargain 3D connexion spacemouse off ebay for £29 for use with CAD. Use it with my right hand, left hand on the mouse.
    Its brilliant.

bigjim

I use GIS software all day and have the same problems, tried a trackball but found it worse because your hand is frozen in one position all the time with absolutely no movement. Also missed having the scroll wheel.

Have also tried the Evoluent mouse which is OK, and a penguin or something, which was terrible.

GP said the only solution is to get another job!

stim
    Free Member

I have a 3D Connexion thingy for the left hand but I don’t use it much as its slower and less accurate at moving the model around than the mouse alone.

Considering this mouse as a halfway between a crappy cheap standard mouse and the Evoluent: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/performance-mouse-mx?crid=7

Sounds like the trackball is a bit love or hate so maybe I won’t risk wasting my money.

Thanks a lot for the help.

convert

What you really need is a 3d connection spacemouse style device alongside a normal mouse.

cvilla

I use a Wacom pen-tablet, worth a go, cheaper than a 3d thingie just had a look on t’web £££!
    If you are using this for work (I guess so) remember RSI, make sure your position is OK and work are aware of any issues, you do not want problems later on, having said that I have been working on CAD for many years, but probably 15+ with a pen-tablet.

richmars

Another 3D Connection user here, works well with Solidworks. It takes a few hours to get used to it, but it’s much quicker compared to just a mouse, as you can be rotating the model with the 3d mouse , and still select menu items with the normal mouse. Plus it looks cool.

dunsapie
    Free Member

I have a 3D Connexion space navigator, it is ok at moving models in CREO. It can be slow when zooming in and out when displaying a large model though. Feel sorry for you having to use CREO, we just transfer all the models into NX :)

xiphon
    Free Member

Slightly OT, but I’m converted to the Magic TrackPad on the mac.

Ive found some software to get it working on Win8 too….. definitely one to consider!

http://www.trackpadmagic.com/

cr500dom
    Free Member

3d Connexion user here too, Its not as good on Creo as it is on other platforms, but still better than a mouse.

Main benefit is when you switch between platforms, I use Solidworks, Creo, Catia V5 etc and they all have a slightly different set of buttons to navigate, whereas with the spaceball you can set it to navigate the same across all platforms.

I do despise Creo/Pro-E though

“Why use one mouse click when you can use seven, on different sub menus, some of which are hidden…… but we are not telling you where they are”
    Hateful CAD system

saps
    Free Member

Get yourself a mouse mat with a wrist support…Kensington do a big range.
    The style of mouse you use won’t make as much of a difference as having your wrist correctly supported will (in terms of wrist pain that is…can’t comment on the speed for modelling)! :-)

Milkie
    Free Member

For intensive CAD work I use a Pen & Tablet. I could not get on with a Trackball.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I use a track ball mouse, it’s ace IME.

I also use CAD quite a bit. Nobody else can use it though, which is a plus point for me

stim
    Free Member

The 3D connexion thing I have is a Space Explorer. It just is not as fast (or as accurate) at moving the model around as using the mouse and wheel. I also have a mouse mat with a gel wrist support but I actually find it worse sometimes.

So far, I’m leaning towards the Logitech mouse I linked to a few posts up. Don’t think I want to go down the tablet route.

Thanks for all your help. Surprising number of CAD people on here.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘CAD – using a trackball instead of a mouse’ is closed to new replies.