Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cable through flowerbeds – solution
  • nicko74

We’ve got some cables running through our back garden – armoured power cable, possibly a network/ Cat6 cable, to the shed, about 30-40m away. Before we start doing landscaping over the top, I figure it makes sense to tidy it so it’s a) protected from digging and b) easy to find and manage.

What I had in mind was some sort of 2-part duct solution – looking like CI that go around the cables. What seems to be available is solid plastic drainpipes (essentially), that you have to pull the cables through.

Is that the only solution; is there anything I’m missing, or anything else I should be aware of?

alanl
    Free Member

No, you can get flexible ducting. Various sizes from 20mm upwards. As it gets bigger, it gets more robust.The smaller stuff generally comes as single wall, making it cheaper, but less robust.

https://skyplastics.co.uk/63-50mm-black-twinwall-electric-duct-x-50-metre.html

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve used a flexible armoured steel conduit to get power to my pond pumps. Like a shower hose outer, but more expensive.

nicko74

And for all of those you have to pull the cables through from one end to the other, right?

zilog6128

ours just lays on the surface in between the fence and some shrubs 🤷‍♂️

pk13

Plastic bag with string attached Hoover at the other end then suck.

Then use the string as a draw wire

YouTube is your friend

irc

Ours is armoured cable attached to the gravel boards along the bottom of the fence. Out the way. Not going to have any spades near it. Done by a spark so resumably meets regs (in Scotland).

DT78
    Free Member

sounds like you want to bury it without disconnecting it?  Worth checking you have sufficient slack in the cable for it to be dug an extra 30cm or so into the ground.

I was told you didn’t necessarily need to duct armoured cable when you bury it, could be wrong, as I was also told fixing to temporary structures, like fencing, was a no no.

At the moment I just have a standard extension lead run through the flower bed.  Plug it in when I need power to the shed, and then disconnect.  Not ideal.

poltheball
    Free Member

Suggest you get some split flexi duct if you want to avoid disconnecting and re-pulling cables. Personally I’d pop a draw rope in there for future cable replacements, and then tape the split duct shut to minimise dirt ingress that might give you blockages in future. Take photos and measurements from an immovable datum of where you’ve buried the duct, and consider putting a layer of tape 100mm above the duct as a warning in case you dig down on it in future.

nicko74

Some great directions here thank you, appreciate it. Will speak to the builder to see what his plan is.
    If it was just the 1 armoured cable I’d probably go without ducting, but with it being 2 it’ll be helpful just to have them in the same spot I reckon. But will find out more

midlifecrashes

Just finished repaving the paths at the front of the house. Shorter distance, but same problem. I left the existing Virgin cable unducted and just buried it as I know it’s obsolete if they make any changes, and ran a duct parallel so a new one can be pulled without disturbing my new path. Trunking kit from Amazon, I put 25mm in.PXL_20240501_135440785[1]

PXL_20240501_135431481[1]

dirkpitt74

You want this SPLIT DUCTING

Screenshot 2024-05-01 154745

nicko74

Oooh, interesting, thanks!

5lab

its a standard to bury services in “cable sand” (within which the conduit sits) so that someone digging the place up in a decade’s time gets some warning to stop using a jcb.

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s also electrical tile tape available. A 2.5mm flexible pvc strip that you pay over the cable, and split ducting and sand, that will offer some resistance to digging and warn someone that there’s live cable below

nicko74

5lab
    its a standard to bury services in “cable sand” (within which the conduit sits) so that someone digging the place up in a decade’s time gets some warning to stop using a jcb.

Sounds like a great idea. Not sure I can see our builder doing that, but we shall see…

spooky_b329

Not heard of the sand but if he can’t be bothered to unroll some plastic hazard tape with ELECTRIC BELOW along the half backfilled trench then you probably shouldn’t trust him to go near it! I think most builders would just do it without being asked?

nicko74

Agreed. Sadly we’re in the “80% finished is good enough for me” stage of a year-long renovation. Will discuss with him

timba
    Free Member

Some suggestions here… https://professional-electrician.com/technical/burying-cables-what-are-the-regulations-for-buried-cables-napit/

Sand is more about protecting the cable from sharp stones, but has a double purpose in that it’s visible

The problem is the ethernet cable because it isn’t protected from diggists. Ideally you’d run it separately to the power because the insulation isn’t up to keeping 230V out. SWA has more layers than most though

thepurist

If possible it’s worth leaving a draw string that you can access from either end of the ducting, you’ll probably never need it but it’s a bit of future proofing in case you do need to add anything later

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM