Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • C2 caliper stripdown
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Anyone popped the piston out of a C2? I'm attempting to repair mine at the moment but I can't seem to get the piston out and I'm trying to be mechanically sympathetic. Pushing it out with the lever isnt happening and it seems as though I can't rotate it on whatever it's screwed into internally (it turns, but 1-2 degrees at a time and with massive force).

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ditto.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

the C2 piston is retained on a threaded insert AFAIR, and theres a stack of opposing sprung washers in there too.

here it is.

http://www.hopetech.com/database/caliper-closed2.jpg

AFAIR I unscrewed it with the piston fully retained in the calliper rather than fully extended. I was a long while ago though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

cheers SO, that diagram's all I need. I'll keep going with the unscrewing and see how I get on. I've made up a tool to suit today so we'll see if that easier than a set of circlip pliers!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

did mine with circlip pliers I recall! I had the calliper halves separate too, which made it rather easier.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Mine must be seized/stripped then as I can bearly turn the sucker! I presume it is normal-threaded and not reverse?!

drew

Once the piston has been unscrewed as far as it will go on its thread using pin or circlip pliers ( normal thread ) you need to use air to push the piston out. I used a normal high pressure tyre pump to do this.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Much obliged. I'm going to have to get some more lube behind mine I think, it seems to be well stuck in there.

tracknicko
    Free Member

drew is right.

if the calliper is in half.. you wanna cut the valve off an old tube, and place over the hole on the inner top of the calliper halves that the fluid goes through.

fit pump to valve, hold against hole and PUMP! the piston will pop out, assuming its unscrewed the whole way.

get ready to catch it!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have a compressor, I'll just have to be careful not to turn it into a projectile!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘C2 caliper stripdown’ is closed to new replies.