Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Bye bye Hope. End of the line for my traildog
  • DezB
    Free Member

Excuse me while I indulge, feeling sad.
    One of the original traildogs of the forum had to be put to sleep last night.
    She had a fab 12 years, still a fit dog til the day she went, just had suspected stomach cancer and couldn’t breathe.
    I hadn’t lived in the same house for the past few years, but she still came to stay with me regularly and had walks over the thicket where we used to spend time every day in the past.
    Some may remember my thread about her being “The Hunter” – where I was amazed she’d caught a deer and I took some right stick for it. Hilarious stuff, classic STW.
    Anyway, a few memories of happier days

wwaswas

sorry to hear that – looks like she had a good life and you have lots of good memories, although that’s probably not helping much today.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

X

drewd

Sorry for your loss.

martinhutch

Fine looking mutt, that. Condolences.

Drac

Ah bugger it’s the harder part of owning a dog. 😢

racefaceec90

sorry to hear that DezB my condolences 😞

IHN

Yeah, that’s rough fella, condolences.

Wookster

Gutted for you mate.

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Any advice on how to comfort a distraught teenager later, without breaking down myself, welcomed!

mogrim

Sorry about that 🙁

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

🙁

martinhutch

Any advice on how to comfort a distraught teenager later, without breaking down myself, welcomed!

Nothing wrong with showing emotion to your kid, it’s the natural human response to loss. Get through that and then you can talk about the good stuff and what a happy life she had.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Never easy saying goodbye to pets, went through it here two Sundays back, RIP Hope.

sandwicheater

Ah bum, sorry Daz, looked like a cracking dog.

Hope caught a deer, blooding impressive!

Futureboy77

Sorry to hear that. The last pic you posted is a cracker.

I dread the day when I have to say goodbye to any of my dogs. My kids know the reality that one day they will have to say goodbye to them, so I would just be honest with your teenager, even if that means breaking down. Showing emotion over the loss of a much loved pooch is no bad thing. Might make it easier for them too.

GrahamS

Nothing wrong with showing emotion to your kid, it’s the natural human response to loss.

Seconded. Cry with them. Then go through some of those photos and talk about the good times and memories you have of Hope.

Sorry for your loss, but it looks like she had a great life and that’s all any of us can ask for.

welshfarmer

Put mine to sleep last week after almost 16 years by my side. Always a large hole left when they go. RIP Hope the Hunter. Run free.

globalti
    Free Member

Cazy isn’t it, you shouldn’t miss a pet as much as you miss a human but you do; they leave such a hole in your life. We still miss our old cat Toastie; she used to supervise gardening operations and sit on Mrs Gti’s lap gazing at her adoringly and drooling. Her ashes are in a safe place because when we move we don’t want to leave her in the poxy town where we live now.

senorj

Sorry dez.

rossburton
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that, it’s a heartbreaking loss.

Thanks folks. Any advice on how to comfort a distraught teenager later, without breaking down myself, welcomed!

Just went through this myself on Tuesday when Henry, our 14 year old labrador, was put to sleep. Have a good cry and remember the funny stories: gone but not forgotten. We had giggle about how he managed to escape from the garden and took himself for a walk years ago. Our neighbour told us that he thought he saw Henry running around: I was out and my wife couldn’t leave the house as our 1yo son was asleep, so our neighbour had to go and catch him.

one_bad_mofo

Change cat for dog…

The cat’s will

When humans die they make a will

To leave their homes and all they have

To those they love

I too, would make a will if I could write

To some poor, wistful, lonely stray

I leave my happy home

My dish, my cosy bed, my cushioned chair, my toy.

The well-loved lap, the gentle stroking hand, the loving voice

The place I made on someone’s heart.

The love that at the last

Could help me to a peaceful, painless end, held in loving arms.

If I should die

Oh, do not say

“No more a cat I’ll have to grieve me by its loss”

Seek out a lonely, unloved cat and give my place to him.

This is my legacy.

The love I leave behind.

T’is all I have to give.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

🙁

second pic in that post she looks like a very happy dog, that’s all that we can give them, happy times and good walks

funkrodent

So sorry to hear that mate. It’s one of life’s cruel ironies that our furry friends have such a short lifespan compared to us. I’ve said goodbye to a few over the years. As said above, no shame in shedding a tear or two, particularly in front of the boy, he needs to know it’s okay to mourn.

My sometime trail hound is asleep on the sofa as I write this, makes me realise I need to get out with her again whilst she’s still able to do the hard yards.

Looks like your dog had the best life that it could have asked for. They give us love, companionship, security and exercise and we give them food, warmth and a pack to belong to. It’s a good trade.

And mine wishes she’d ever got close to a squirrel, let alone a deer!

funkrodent

Oh and by the way, I LOVE that video in the wheat field. Absolutely awesome, what a fantastic memory to have. And in turn reminds me of doing much the same with my dog in childhood..

Its suddenly got a bit dusty in here..

breninbeener

Sad times. Im sending a man hug.

When you tell your children just share your memories and photos. Cryung tigether is good therapy.

surfer
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that Dez. We lost our Lakeland a little while ago. Still hurts.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

That’s crap mate. Sorry to hear that. I keep saying I’ll never get another dog. I always do.
    Make sure you do the same.

kendonagasaki

I’ve just been out for a couple of hours walk with my best friend Scooby. I was cursing him for rolling in every muddy puddle we passed. After reading this thread, it really doesn’t matter.

My thoughts are with you.

Andy

Sorry to hear this Dez. Lost Sky last July.

anagallis_arvensis

Well done on doing the right thing now my lurcher has reached 11 I hope I can do the same when I need to.

Just sit and cry with you son, nothing else to do really is there.

goby

Really sorry to hear your loss, I really like that video in the wheat field, inspires me to get more gems myslef of those spoecial moments! Lovely memories and oh yeah reading all these posts has made it a bit dusty in here too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about that. Can tell she was a good girl, deer or no deer.

epicyclo

Just had my hound out for a good strep up a wee mountain today. She’s happy as can be.

Tomorrow we go to the vet for an ultrasound.

Big dog, 9 years old. Not looking forward to this, but keeping fingers crossed.

DezB
    Free Member

Had my first hug off my son in about 5 years. We both shed some tears. Then cheered him up by having a result with a new car for him.
    Kid lost his nan just before Christmas, so needed something positive. 😊

zippykona

Nothing helps the loss of a dog like the arrival of a new  puppy.

fossy

RIP.

bearnecessities

I LOVE that video in the wheat field

I’ve seen it on here before, but I share your love of it.

Then cheered him up by having a result with a new car for him.

You may have set an expensive precedent 🙂

singletrackmind

Bugger. Hope was mental though , Into everything that moved or was potentially edible , like the packet of vitamin pills she got into ..
    Hope you and Lydon are OK , sad times.

jamj1974

It’s a sad time for adults, teenagers and children alike.  Grief is a part of life and I think growing up it is important to learn how to deal with it and also how to support people going through it.

You always come across as a decent person, so I would do what you normally do – i.e be there.  Listen, a hug and sometimes just companionable silence are all good. Share the memories – even now and share a cry over the good times you all had.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Bye bye Hope. End of the line for my traildog’ is closed to new replies.