• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by jate.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Buying Euros…
  • PrinceJohn

Were off on holiday to Spain at the end of November – would you buy Euro’s now, or wait to see what happens with Brexit?
    Given how low the pound currently is, I’m tempted to wait in case it recovers once the deadline passes, but… if we did leave without a deal, I imagine it’ll tank thus allowing me to purchase at least 1 beer on holiday…

WWSTW do?

db

By end of November we will either be a desolate wasteland with gangs hunting for food or a flourishing empire with countries giving us free stuff cos they want to trade with us.

If it was me I would get some now (and be buying tinned food too).

bob_summers

Will Spain let you in at the end of November?

I can’t be bothered with all that I just pay for everything by card, probably losing 100s doing that but…

tthew

I just use a card with no fees*, Monzo is my chosen one. Not ordered cash for years.

*OK, Monzo do charge a bit for cash withdrawals over £200 but anywhere I’ve been has gone pretty much cashless, so it’s no biggie.

tjagain

I have a few spare I can sell you £2 each. Much cheapness

bruneep

pre load my revolut card and pay with that and withdraw cash at bank atm not the tourist ones. not got euros in uk for yrs

TheBrick
    Free Member

Revlout here too, good rates. If we no deal it will only get worse so buy cash / charge your card now.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Agree with posters above.

Do Forex bureaus even exist these days?

PrinceJohn

Revlout here too, good rates. If we no deal it will only get worse so buy cash / charge your card now.

So do you just put a load of money into the account then transfer it to Euro’s then use that card as you would a normal card in the UK?

mrmo
    Free Member

So do you just put a load of money into the account then transfer it to Euro’s then use that card as you would a normal card in the UK?

basically, yes, i loaded it with GBP and transferred into Swiss Francs last jan. Which made me about 10%!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Slightly smug post warning, the day it was announced BJ was going to be PM, I bought all our holiday money, I got €30 more than I would have the day after, so I’m so what of an authority on this sort of stuff*

Personally, I’d wait. ‘No deal’ seems, at least on the balance of probability, less likely than an extension at this point. A deal being a very distant 3rd – wait a week for this to be confirmed and you might earn that extra beer.

As for waiting any longer, well, if you lose the gamble and we go no-deal you’ll have bigger fish to fry – assume you’ve bought insurance?

A VONC seems, again on balance more likely than a GE at this point, but this is far less certain, if we do see a Caretaker government, Westminster will swing closer to the EU and closer to a chance of remaining or going for a very ‘soft brexit’ if this happens we should edge closer to the €1.3 = £1 Norm.

In fact given some cynics are saying the EU is facing a recession and we probably wouldn’t, you might see a higher peak, but I doubt it would materialise before your holiday.

*I am, in no way an authority on this sort of stuff.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Yep charge the Card in the currency of your bank (g p) then convert to euro or whatever you want, withdraw cash on holiday / use as you would a normal card.

In general I find the rates slightly better at the beginning / mid week than a Friday / weekend.

I am no currency trader though!

jate
    Free Member

Another vote for simply using a Revolut card (only limitation is they don’t work for pay at pump transactions). No fees and a mid-market rate, although there is a slight rate penalty if using it at a w/e whilst the markets are shut (as Revolut are taking forex risk for a short period).
    You don’t even need to preload it before you leave as you can simply add sterling via the phone app as and when required. Also came in very useful when I didn’t realise that our accommodation in the Alps needed paying via IBAN until we were actually in France. Again easily done via the Revolut app.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Buying Euros…’ is closed to new replies.