Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Buying a new VW T6 – #emissionsgate
  • teacake
    Free Member

Hello,

Tips on how to go about using the current VW emissions scandal to save a bit off buying a new Transporter?

Hopeless exercise or pushing against an open door?

Cheers!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Dealers might be desperate enough to shave margins I suppose, I personally think the impact on UK sales has been largely over-stated. I suspect the best course of action would be to make it clear you’re looking for a Van, not a VW T6 with the exact spec and colour etc – dealers can spot a ‘fan’ a mile off.

Given the Governments stance so far is the turn a blind eye to existing vehicles it might be worth buying now lest they reclassify them and the costs go up.

burko73

I googled the VIN on my t5 and it wasn’t affected. Neither are the T6 euro 6 engines I believe.

It’s all about negotiation skills with the dealer. I guess the emissions thing is just another string to your bow in the negotiation. Don’t forget they do this for a living and know what they can get/ how things are shifting.

They are still pretty popular vans despite the emissions “scandal”.

Good luck with it!

Marin
    Free Member

Judging by the amount you see on campsites and road no chance at all. Local dealer told me he can’t get enough to keep up with demand. The newly retired lumpsum payoffs aren’t going to switch to Transits.

MSP

Local dealer told me he can’t get enough to keep up with demand

This, my understanding is that there is very little oversupply of VW’s across the range, at the moment they are selling everything they make and don’t need to do anything “extra” to sell them.

However VW is a very image based company, built on the “reliability” advertising of the 80’s, their image far exceeds the reality and the current scandal could destroy that image. That is unlikely to get you a cheap car in the next 6 to 12 months though, long-term it could see them priced more realistically against the competition.

zilog6128

This, my understanding is that there is very little oversupply of VW’s across the range, at the moment they are selling everything they make and don’t need to do anything “extra” to sell them.

You say that… as it happens this morning the local VW dealership have ordered a couple of signs advertising big savings on pre-registered cars. According to the guy who has installed the signs at this site for the last 5 or 6 years, this is the first time ever they’ve had such ads up. Cancelled orders? Less sales this month? Coincidence?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

You say that… as it happens this morning the local VW dealership have ordered a couple of signs advertising big savings on pre-registered cars. According to the guy who has installed the signs at this site for the last 5 or 6 years, this is the first time ever they’ve had such ads up. Cancelled orders? Less sales this month? Coincidence?

Thats probably for the T5 version that they have in sock though.
    I ordered a T6 two weeks ago and am staring at a 5 month lead time as the factory has so many back orders!!

tthew

VW do make produce more models than just transporter vans you know!

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Really? I’ve never noticed.

project
    Free Member

Probably a lot of company vehicle sales will be lost from companies who value their green credentials, then there the problem with resale values will they drop like a lead ballon, and road tax goes up to cope with emmisions .

piha
    Free Member

I had a look at ordering a T6 a couple of months ago and VW dealership were happy to offer a good ‘Dealers Contribution’ without any prompting. Go in, be nice and ask.

DavidB
    Free Member

We are going to spunk our savings on a California, so we just go in and smile for a discount?

teacake
    Free Member

Quotes I have got so far offer 10% and 12% off list price.

No idea if that is “good” in carbuyingland but seems fair to me. Any experience?

Going to see if I can get the VW bike rack thrown in too . . .

andy8442
    Free Member

Just to make it clear, none of the T5/6s are affected by the scandal, engine wise, only some of the latest Caddys. The Transporters have such a cult following, I can’t see any of this affecting current pricing or resale, so…..smile,be nice, and trade dealerships off against each other. All that said, you won’t get better than 12%, though I did get 20%! But I can’t tell you how. If I did, I’d be shot at dawn. Sorry…..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Buying a new VW T6 – #emissionsgate’ is closed to new replies.