• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tang.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Butterflies. Bumper September and October, same where you are?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

We didn’t see a whole lot in August, but through September and into October before our first frosts there has been an explosion in their numbers. We are fairly far north and at 600 feet. I’m curious to hear if it is a local phenomenon or if it’s national.

psling
    Free Member

Certainly noticed a lot down this way (Forest of Dean) during September to the point that I actually commented to myself (as you do…) on how many there were!

binners

I was out riding a few weeks ago, and heading up toward Cragg quarry there was literally a swarm (?) of them. So we’re talking about a fair old height in the hills too mcmoonter. I’ve never seen so many in one place

redstripe
    Free Member

Lots still about in the New Forest when the sun is out, and also lots of dragonflies for some reason

nbt

Yes, we saw loads in our garden including unusual ones like a hummingbird hawkmoth

Hummingbird Hawkmoth by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Hummingbird Hawkmoth by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Loads out in a Macclesfield Forest sunny glade yesterday 🙂

jp-t853

It has been unusual. I live in East Cumbria at 750ft and I have seen more in the last four weeks than the rest of the year. It doesn’t seem to fit when you are scraping the car in the morning.

I was staying at Harrogate at the weekend and noticed plenty there too.

Bunnyhop

Yes. Even yesterday there was a red admiral sunbathing on the stone wall.
    Even had a couple of ‘Commas’ which is a butterfly I’ve never seen in the garden before.

CountZero

Does seem to have been a particularly good year for many species, and I have seen some still around as recently as a week or so ago.

tang
    Free Member

Yup, September was good here in Gloucestershire.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Butterflies. Bumper September and October, same where you are?’ is closed to new replies.