Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bushing equipped pedals?
  • Premier Icon Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve been a shimano guy when it comes to pedals for 20 years.

The only time I stepped outside the box was with a set of xpedo lightweight things with bushes and they didnt last a season.

I fancy a change, but is it worth the risk to something with bushes?

What are your experiences of bushing equipped pedals?

I’m looking at these :https://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-x-track-rage-mtb-pedals?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=100507917&kpid=100507917&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&gclid=CjwKCAiAyc2BBhAaEiwA44-wW8VjKl3M42vNtm37nsokAEa7ojuDyihYO9xvmTV-ZXaNlMESdcrzBRoCqX4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Premier Icon zezaskar
    Free Member

I was also looking at those Look pedals some months ago. Was drawn by the large platform, supposedly higher tension than Shimano and them being made in France.

The lack of user feedback kept me somewhat hesitant and in the end grabbed a pair of hugely discounted XTs.

In the end, Look is a really experienced manufacturer and they should know what they’re doing

Premier Icon Kahurangi

I had (still have) some spank spike pedals, which use a large inboard bearing then a tiny bushing at the end of the short axle to get a really thin profile. The bush doesn’t last very long before wearing out and the big bearing has no secondary sealing so doesn’t last long before grinding to a halt.

Rebuild kits weren’t too expensive though..

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

I think most pedals other than Shimano use a bush and a bearing?

Premier Icon jonba
    Free Member

Yes, the likes of superstar all use bushings on the bike side. I always thought it odd you could easily get the bearings but replacing the bushings was harder and they’d fail first.

They work well and are easy to replace if you can get the parts.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer

What are your experiences of bushing equipped pedals?

Mixed.  I think it comes down to how well sealed the pedals are then quality of the parts.  Most I find wear rather quickly but the bushes are in the main cheap and easy to replace.  So far my Burgtec Mk4 are going strong and I’ve heard Hope pedals last well too.  I’d be optimistic Look have a solid product but

I’ve been a shimano guy when it comes to pedals for 20 years

I don’t think anything is going to beat Shimano pedal durability

Premier Icon jimmy748
    Free Member

Bushing do wear quickly but you can buy replacement bushings from bearing factors for around £1 each and they can be replaced very easily.

Premier Icon Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The lack of user feedback kept me somewhat hesitant and in the end grabbed a pair of hugely discounted XTs.

Me too.

Also the total absence of spares or service kit online. Meaning that if I want any longevity I will have to source my own parts from industrial supply.

I suppose I will need to take a punt and chalk it up to experience if they’re poo.

Premier Icon Daffy

My experience is that the bushings wear, then the axle wears to the degraded bushings, then new bushings don’t fit properly and your pedals are screwed. Time – about 8 sets.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer

the total absence of spares or service kit online

That would bother me.  Bushes can probably be sourced from various places but reasonably priced and readily available replacement axles are needed when they wear as Daffy describes

Premier Icon Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Thanks daffy. Thats enough with the lack of spares to keep me clear.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.