Home Forums Bike Forum Burlier tyre casing, how much less pressure?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Burlier tyre casing, how much less pressure?
  • bikesandboots

I’ve had a heavier than usual casing tyre (Conti Kryptotal Fr Enduro casing Soft compound) up front for a while now, due to a combination of curiosity and Continental not pulling their finger out and releasing Trail casing tyres in Soft compound. I’ve also dropped the Rimpact because the tyre’s heavier and I couldn’t manage to get it in anyway. Trouble is, I can’t find a pressure that works.

20psi (same pressure as I had on EXO with Rimpact), the tyre feels rigid like it’s keeping its shape and not laying down a decent footprint of rubber, and not conforming to anything. Not confidence inspiring at all. Reminds me of how an EXO DHR2 was after I first fitted Rimpacts without dropping the pressure from 23psi.

18psi, the feeling is good. But it’s burping sealant in 2-3 places on any trail that has rocks on it, and so also losing 1-2psi. It feels secure on corners although I’m not railing berms hard really.

19psi, seemed like the obvious solution but it just brings half the bad things of both. Burping a bit less, but back to feeling quite rigid.

I’m wondering if at 75kg and not a hard rider I’m not putting enough force through the casing, at least not at a pressure that’s enough to keep it sealed on the rim given the forces the ground is putting through it. Perhaps I’m not enduro enough for this tyre.

I’ll be replacing soon but am interested in how much people are changing pressures for different casings, and experiences of heavier casings by light riders.

bens
    Free Member

I posted something similar a few weeks back. I fitted an SE6 and ran it at 22psi which is where I’d have run an DHF EXO (both 2.5 on a 30mm rim). It was rigid and terrible.

I got down to 16psi through experimenting and thought that sounded ridiculously low. The tyre still feels a bit ‘non compliant’ at 16, almost like it needs to be lower still. I’m worried about it burping or rolling off the rim if I go lower.

I’m about the same weight as you. 70ish on a 20kg ebike and not really riding hard either.

I’ve ridden Maxxis EXO basically for ever and never needed to use inserts. I almost never get rim ding-age. I wanted to try a heavier casing to see what it was like. Not convinced so far. I too considered that maybe I just don’t need the stiffer casing.

bikesandboots

Found your thread.

I see the SE6 29×2.5 is meant to be 1045g, which isn’t a heavy tyre so I’m surprised it’s stiff and less compliant. Magic Mary is 1040g in Super Ground, 1150g in Super Trail, and 1280g in Super Gravity. Kryptotal Fr Enduro is meant to be 1125g but a few people have them coming in around 1215g.

Also found others for comparison in this thread:

• 75kg, Schwalbe Super Gravity with Rimpact, 14 psi front, 16-18 rear
    • 83kg, Schwalbe Super Trail no inserts, 20 front, 25 rear
    • 83kg, Schwalbe Super Trail with inserts, 15 front, 20 rear

The Schwalbe Pressureprof (flawed as tools like this may be) recommends me 20 front for Super Trail for trail riding, 19 for enduro. So probably in the right ballpark.

@rockthreegozy
    Saw your reply in the Xynotal thread about your Enduro front being burpy, what pressure you running and weight?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.